Skip to content

Sunderland game at risk...

Comments

• Dave Hallidays goal scoring record at Sunderland always stood out for me

• Fun fact: 4/6 of Sunderland's top-flight titles came while the goalkeeper could still handle the ball up to the halfway line.

• Charles Breakspear is the ref; I would like to take back my previous comments and strongly urge Sunderland to get the game called off.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    It’s a long stay car park @bluntphil ??

Very good. Love @bluntphil's tweet, too.

• edited January 2022

BBC just said 1 in 4 EFL players have said they have no intention of getting the jab. If that is accurate it is bound to have a serious effect on the business model for most clubs I would imagine.
    (re-edited this as I see it was all over the news in December!)

• As far as I know all but one of our players are fully jabbed, that might be why we have not called off a game for Covid this season, we have had Lincoln call a game off due to their infections, but never from our end.

• No idea about jabbing status with us @Safc_in_peace but both of our called off games were as a result of opposition Covid problems (as far as we know). Fingers crossed for Saturday.

• It's 1pm and no word....is there any particular cut off limit?

5pm?

• @Malone said:
    It's 1pm and no word....is there any particular cut off limit?

5pm?

You’d think they’d already be on their way south. I think we’d have heard something by now.

• Yeah, I think SAFC would look spectacularly bad if they waited till tomorrow to call things off given the early kick off and the fact their travelling fans (at least local ones as opposed to exiles) will have to leave at stupid o'clock to get here in time.

• Last Saturday Bristol Rovers asked for their game at Orient to be called off, five hours before kick-off. The previous evening Rovers said it was definitely on, so I'm not going to assume anything until the ref blows the whistle for the start of the game.

• actually to be fair it's quite possible for any club not to be able to predict ability to field a side till the day of the game, for example what would happen if (deliberately extreme example) SAFC travelled down today, all had lunch together including someone who'd only just caught COVID (but had been negative at the time of the test that indicated they were fine), who passed it on to a bunch of other people within the "bubble".

So I didn't mean to sound too knee-jerk there, and it's perfectly possible to call the game off on the day for valid reasons. Fingers crossed, eh.

• This looks promising from SAFC.

"Postponing tomorrow’s game would not only compromise the integrity of the competition, but also let down our supporters – many of whom will be on the road already and have put plans in place at great expense. We are making every effort to fulfil our fixture schedule... "

https://safc.com/news/team-news/2022/january/patterson-diamond-and-hawkes-recalled

• @Steve_Peart said:
    Last Saturday Bristol Rovers asked for their game at Orient to be called off, five hours before kick-off. The previous evening Rovers said it was definitely on, so I'm not going to assume anything until the ref blows the whistle for the start of the game.

Was there not a change that you can't get the game off on the day any more?
    Or was that only Prem teams and to do with covid tests?

• @PBo said:
    actually to be fair it's quite possible for any club not to be able to predict ability to field a side till the day of the game, for example what would happen if (deliberately extreme example) SAFC travelled down today, all had lunch together including someone who'd only just caught COVID (but had been negative at the time of the test that indicated they were fine), who passed it on to a bunch of other people within the "bubble".

So I didn't mean to sound too knee-jerk there, and it's perfectly possible to call the game off on the day for valid reasons. Fingers crossed, eh.

I thought they'd decided blissful ignorance was better going forward and they wouldn't do any tests late doors?

• This is how football clubs should be operating, if they can. Fair play to Sunderland on this. Credit where it's due.

• Rovers had "unforeseen illnesses" on the morning of the match. They didn't say they did any more tests.

• Game on! Sunderland have recalled 3 players from loans to ensure a full squad. All joking aside, full respect to them for getting the game on and not stepping aside at the last minute. Now let's get 3 points!

• Yes, thumbs up to Sunderland for this.

• They seem to be trying to out-underdog us...!

But seriously, "hats off" for the integrity thing.

• I hope the undersoil heating is on.

• That would be terrible that after all of this we were to have the game called off for a frozen pitch. ?

• Lovely we're playing and that, but the only doubt came from their manager in the first place!

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    That would be terrible that after all of this we were to have the game called off for a frozen pitch. ?

Bringing back dreadful memories of them calling off the game with Fleetwood about 30mins before kick off.
    I was annoyed and I'd only driven 15mins. Would have been utterly fuming if I'd been one of their fans.

• Looking at the weather forecast, more likely to be called off for a waterlogged pitch...

• Have we ever had a game at AP off due to a waterlogged pitch? Heavy rain not due until the end of the game anyway.

• As I'm doing the car park tomorrow, I can guarantee it will bucket down from 9 o'clock.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Have we ever had a game at AP off due to a waterlogged pitch? Heavy rain not due until the end of the game anyway.

I'm sure we have but I can't think of one at the moment. The infamous Bristol Rovers one should have been, but it was the lightning that was given as a reason

That Rochdale evening game in 93/94? Was that a waterlogged pitch?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Have we ever had a game at AP off due to a waterlogged pitch? Heavy rain not due until the end of the game anyway.

You and I must be looking at a different forecast. Metoffice forecast is putrid! https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcpqjb01b#?date=2022-01-08

Separately, fair dos to Sunderland for the principles described in their statement. Can't say fairer than that and appreciate the candour.