Skip to content

Comments

• oh dear. Fingers crossed that those hardy Northerners will laugh in the face of a positive lateral flow test.

• Would be shit. I know we don't depend on TV money, but it's still a significant amount to us - nothing to them in the grand scheme of things.

• "There are other injury concerns, but I don't want to go into specifics."

And therein lies the truth...

• edited January 2022

@Last_Quarter said:
    "There are other injury concerns, but I don't want to go into specifics."

A manager not wanting to talk publicly about injuries?
    Shocking.
    From a totally selfish point of view...I want it to go ahead a) because I probably won't be able to get to rescheduled game and b) might be good to beat a weakened top team before they start totting up PPG!

• If they're already worried about injuries, and they just need one more covid case, it'll be off.

The EFL really need to get hold of this situation.

• Oh well, potentially yet another reason to hate Sunderland

• @floyd said:
    If they're already worried about injuries, and they just need one more covid case, it'll be off.

Exactly! And yet earlier in that article Johnson claims that it's only a low-medium risk it'll be off, despite them currently needing one more positive test. With that attitude to risk, I'm never getting into a car he's driving!

• Anyone know what time the bars at the ground will be opening?

• From a quick scan of their website, they've got 43 players across the senior squad and U23s. Play the game, you big-time Charlies.

• edited January 2022

"I don't want to say how many cases we've got, but it's more than one, more than two, more than three, and it's potentially more than four, depending on ones that have already had Covid and then have to take a lateral flow test and return a negative result before they return."

So it's four then. Given that four of the known cases cited in the article, as of last week, included O'Nien and another long term injury, I find it hard to imagine they can't cobble together 14 players from their admittedly* scant resources.

@Last_Quarter said:

"There are other injury concerns, but I don't want to go into specifics."

Quite. It's the opacity of the split between injuries and Covid cases that is leading us to be a bit sceptical of how clubs might be seeking to take advantage of the latitude being offered by the EFL regs on this, isn't it?

*Yes. Not really.

• Blame the gutless EFL for making it too easy to call games off.

• If they're talking about covid 3 days out, it seems optimistic to think it'll go ahead.

If it was off, would this be our longest spell without a home game?
    Ignoring the called off season of course!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    From a quick scan of their website, they've got 43 players across the senior squad and U23s. Play the game, you big-time Charlies.

Just noticed their u23 are playing tonight.Cant be that bad.Does not warrant the match to be pp.

• @Aylesburyblue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    From a quick scan of their website, they've got 43 players across the senior squad and U23s. Play the game, you big-time Charlies.

Just noticed their u23 are playing tonight.Cant be that bad.Does not warrant the match to be pp.

Pretty sure Man Utd's youth team played at Old Trafford a few days before the first team had a covid off game!

No idea what the rules are, but they don't seem to stretch into youth teams.

• The EFL either need to suspend and then extend the season for a couple of weeks, or centralise the way games are postponed. We can't just have teams saying, basically, we're not playing today, without some sort of sanction.

• @Aylesburyblue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Probably tactical, so they can argue that their under 23's will be too tired to play us.

• @mooneyman said:

@Aylesburyblue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Probably tactical, so they can argue that their under 23's will be too tired to play us.

Doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement of their U-23s either. An injury (or illness) or two is how most people get their debuts.

• edited January 2022
    • Sold-out away end
    • Sold-out executive boxes
    • Sold-out hospitality lounges
    • Sold-out car park
      And almost a sold-out Family Stand.
      Saturday will be a busy one at Adams Park; book your seats fast!

I hope these joyous celebratory messages don't look silly in three days!

• I'm very reliably told that players only count towards the minimum 14 required if they've previously made a league start

• @Wendoverman said:

• Sold-out away end
    • Sold-out car park

It might be the gasroom influence making me cynical, but whenever we post such comments I'm always looking for the disclaimer, or what it doesn't include etc.

Especially after the "August record attendance" from earlier in the season, that turned out to be ...from Wycombe fans, not overall :D

• @Wendoverman said:

• Sold-out away end
    • Sold-out car park

Well it’s definitely off now.

• When did everyone get so desperate to call off games for a tiny perceived advantage. Imagine being a squad player or youth teamer desperate for a game. No clearer sign gaffer doesn't rate you than him being desperate to postpone.

• Rotherham were arguably relegated last year by having to play so many games in a short period of time. Perhaps some of the clubs calling the games off will struggle at some point in the same way!

• edited January 2022

It sounds like they have been affected by injuries for weeks according to their forum. How hard and unique that must be! They must be the only club that has happened to, poor things.

Much as it is funny for them to be trapped down here in L1, they will always be the gift that keeps giving, as their ceiling is basically PL bottom feeders with the odd 9th place trophy if they have an unbelievable season.

• edited January 2022

Send that thread to Gaz and the boys for added motivation to beat the cocky gits, whenever the game takes place.

Also, I am absolutely shocked to see a comment completely misunderstanding the PPG situation!

• There’s a persistent rumour among a small minority of Sunderland supporters that they are no longer playing in the Premier league

• edited January 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Send that thread to Gaz and the boys for added motivation to beat the cocky gits, whenever the game takes place.

Also, I am absolutely shocked to see a comment completely misunderstanding the PPG situation!

I think fans of these clubs just about understand "points", and also understand "game" as a separate concept, but it's that "per" which turns it into an equation only Einstein could understand.

My favourite (Derby fans use this a lot) is that we only went up on "a technicality", as if a more worthy team were disqualified for fielding an ineligible player.

• The technicality being beating higher placesd teams over three play-off games?

• edited January 2022

The technicality being us not having the opportunity to stay in the play-offs on total points because the team we were due to play had been chucked out of the League