Skip to content

Park ‘n Ride

I’m going to my first game at AP on Saturday, and was wondering what peoples experience of the new Park and Ride was. Is it right you park in field, is it a quagmire ?
How often are the buses ?
Etc etc etc

Comments

• Have used P&R from West Wycombe - really efficient getting to the ground - drops u at top of Hillbottom so a short walk to ground then picks u up outside ground. Back journey takes a while to clear through the crowd as expected but all in all works well! Parked in field on wet day - Wimbledon - no issues!

• Yes it works as said it takes a while to get through the crowd and make sure you know where the pick up point is but so far the field hasn’t been too muddy

• Thanks guys, that’s good news. I still don’t understand though why they stopped using the Cressex hub for P&R, and mean it’s a bus station with plenty of car parking on an asphalt surface in an ideal location near the motorway junction.

But what do I know.

• edited January 2022

@Gordon_Ottershaw said:
    Thanks guys, that’s good news. I still don’t understand though why they stopped using the Cressex hub for P&R, and mean it’s a bus station with plenty of car parking on an asphalt surface in an ideal location near the motorway junction.

But what do I know.

Who knows, maybe cost or maybe numbers from the west and south sides of Wycombe are quite high? Also the new park and ride is only 5 minutes from junction 5 if you happen to be coming from north of Wycombe.

Just to add, about 6 months of roadworks on West Wycombe road to consider when using that park and ride from 7th Jan.

• edited January 2022

@Gordon_Ottershaw said:
    Thanks guys, that’s good news. I still don’t understand though why they stopped using the Cressex hub for P&R, and mean it’s a bus station with plenty of car parking on an asphalt surface in an ideal location near the motorway junction.

But what do I know.

It used to be brilliant when that was the last stop for the bus. Took about ten mins to the ground and you could roll up around 2.30 and make it.

Then apparently people who got on there moaned at being the last stop, and they changed it to the first stop, meaning about a 45min trip instead.

But probably still better than nothing I suppose.

But at least the train station one seems to work better now it's one stop only.
    Just perhaps a couple of times a season it doesn't work well when it's a big away team like Portsmouth who swamp it.

• Three of us decided to try the park and drive for the first time for the Sunderland game, got the details from the official club website. We went to the location as described to find sheep in the field. We went back on the main road and found the three small coaches in a lay by further along the road. Speaking to a Steward he stated that the original field could no longer be used. Journey to the ground was good although the route was not direct. Took longer than we thought. We left the ground after the game. Did not see any coaches outside the ground so we went to the pick up point at the bottom of Hillbottom Road as advised on the website. After twenty minutes two coaches passed us from presumably the ground. Both were full. They must have been parked not in view behind one the buildings in Hillbottom Road. Three quarters of a hour later a bus turned up and we got on board. Same indirect route back to car park field. Fair to say we will not be doing this mode of transport again.

• That’s concerning to hear @davebevan. Have you copied the club/trust in on your experiences?

• How is it indirect? They literally enter west Wycombe and down west Wycombe road onto Chapel Lane and onto Adams Park.

Generally the coaches park to the immediate left as you leave Adams Park by the burger van.

• edited January 2022

The buses always seem to be a bit ropier for the bigger games. The train station bus was swamped for the Portsmouth game, and no-one who hadn't already got a return was allowed on, to much abuse of the driver!

Those little mini buses are usually in sight on the left as you leave the ground, but I can't recall seeing them yesterday.
    Must have ben frustrating waiting so long, but once I'd got to the end of Hillbottom and seen the buses come past, I'd just have written it off as a bust, and just walked back to the cars?
    Appreciate not everyone wants to / can/ or feels they should after paying though.

Was the parking just on a different field then? The concern with the idea of a field is half the year fields can be boggy muddy messes, but it seems they just switched field without telling anyone?

The most direct route would technically be up Toweridge, left at the top on the trail, and down that massive steep grassy bank! But clearly that's never going to happen.
    So I suspect you must mean that the minibus ignored the first turn towards the ground, past the Verco factory, and instead came down the hill with the Tesco on the right?

• The route taken yesterday was through Booker, Lane End and Boulder End, not West Wycombe Road..

• Lane End? What the hell?

• Had to check the map, but Piddington, Bolter End, Lane End, Booker, then to the ground seems an utterly mad route, unless there were some particularly bad road works just down the proper route?!

• There are roadworks on West Wycombe Road controlled by traffic lights however it would have still been far quicker than the route yesterday. Not being over familiar with High Wycombe I checked yesterday’s route on Google maps before posting.

• edited January 2022

Can certainly see it was an absolute dreadful experience all in now, sorry you had to bear it!
    More expensive than the train station bus too by £2, and you've obviously still had to drive to there too.

The club mean well, and I'd love more park n ride type options to crop up, especially when we go up and see frequent 7,000+ crowds, but this one seems a bit of a bust.

• I’m not surprised they took that route. Arriving in Wycombe around 11am on the A4010 it took me 15 minutes to get from The Pedestal to the lights at the bottom of Plomer Hill.

Someone had decided to cone off the Wycombe bound lane of the A40, despite nothing being done on it.

• We used it yesterday for the first time. As we had to come past the ground we had a little look for alternative parking there but were probably a bit too late. Post code /satnav went straight to it and was easy to see the signs and parked Motts coaches, although not where I thought it was going to be at all , little muddy understandably but not at risk of getting stuck. It did seem to take a while to get to the ground but partially due to extra traffic.
    The matchday guide was a little vague on last times back and we were enjoying a couple of pints and some food in the car park so we ended up getting a cheap Uber after missing the last one back by seconds and watching it drive off as we got round the corner, we could easily have confirmed the last bus time with the driver if it was a big problem so not blaming anyone. still a very handy cheap option although the ground or the side car parks seem less faff if available. Hardly dreadful all round and at £5 per car not per person it's very cheap if there's a few of you.

• edited February 2022

Shame in a way, as the more options the better, but the numbers probably don't lie.
    And a random field the wrong side of town probably didn't suit many in fairness.

However, the school option seems a lot better.

Interesting that they bill it as160 spaces now, when it was originally billed as 220?

• The big loss part is clearly that the West Wycombe version took you door to door for your fiver.