Skip to content

Rob’s new year message

Comments

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Really!

Be honest, were you one of those fans who used to write into O Neill whinging about his team, tactics and signings? ;)

• @arnos_grove said:
    I borrowed a DCFC login for our away game at Pride Park and it was great to see an in-studio discussion of the game at half-time as opposed to Geoff Doyle banging on about Nathan Jones. They’d got an ex-player and a journalist in - we’d have no trouble filling that up with our roster of on-mic talent.

I watched a stream of today's match on CharltonTV and they had a similar set up. Much better to see replays and analysis at half time and full time. They even commentated the half time crossbar challenge attempt. No reason we can't do the same and present a professional product.

• @Malone no and I am not whining at all did you understand the reference? I am just saying we need freshening up with a few loans etc. please do not make acquisitions that are completely unsubstantiated. Are you another troll and be honest?
    Do you not think we need fresh ingredients up in the Jan window then?
    BTW - MON was a god!

• Fresh ingredients hahaha - meant freshening up

• edited January 2022

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    @Malone no and I am not whining at all did you understand the reference? I am just saying we need freshening up with a few loans etc. please do not make acquisitions that are completely unsubstantiated. Are you another troll and be honest?
    Do you not think we need fresh ingredients up in the Jan window then?
    BTW - MON was a god!

Not sure asking you something is an accusation (and certainly not an acquisition!), but glad to hear you weren't :D

I think we're fine for what we have in the squad. If someone amazing is available, that's a different story.

• @Malone, having seen how Mr @micra apologised to a fellow gasroomer earlier that you may just want to think before you write. Your question was an implication of whinging about the MON style, when the truth is far from that I can assure you.
    I have followed WWFC for over 32 years now and love the club dearly, so please do not assume.

• edited January 2022

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    @Malone, having seen how Mr @micra apologised to a fellow gasroomer earlier that you may just want to think before you write. Your question was an implication of whinging about the MON style, when the truth is far from that I can assure you.
    I have followed WWFC for over 32 years now and love the club dearly, so please do not assume.

is that notorious @micra picking up spelling mistakes again? He's an animal.

Of course, the tone of posts is always awkward to pick up, so humblest apologies if you took it as a more serious comment that it was meant as.

I did put a little wink in there as a clue. :)

• Apologies accepted and we move on. Thank you @Malone

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Apologies accepted and we move on. Thank you @Malone

All the best for 2022 :)
    Here's to an Oxford & Sunderland double win coming up.

• And all the best to you @Malone. A double against those two and I will hunt you out and buy you a pint of your choice.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    And all the best to you @Malone. A double against those two and I will hunt you out and buy you a pint of your choice.

Haha fingers crossed.

Oxford and Luton we seem to be a bit jinxed against in recent years.
    And Sunderland will always be a huge ask.

• If Rob doesn’t get the toilets sorted by next season the brown stuff could really hit the fan

• I was not too sure about all this until he name dropped Dr. Seuss. Consider me on board now.

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    If Rob doesn’t get the toilets sorted by next season the brown stuff could really hit the fan

Is he installing fans now?

• edited January 2022

We wondered if the media news would be signing Phil to a club contract…that would be just great.

• @Forest_Blue said:

Now THAT would be great news!

• I’m not sure I’d be in favour of our most prominent independent journalist becoming a club employee. And in his role with BBC 3CR he’d wouldn’t be affected by the move away from iFollow.

• @mooneyman said:

@MorrisItal_ said:
    If Rob doesn’t get the toilets sorted by next season the brown stuff could really hit the fan

Is he installing fans now?

This does seem to have gone under the radar. If memory serves me correctly the toilets were one of the first things that they said they were going to sort out.

• I agree, "decent/clean toilets" was certainly part of the introductory speeches.

• They should appoint that Richie bloke who used to work in the club shop as toilet superintendent.

• @floyd said:
    I’m not sure I’d be in favour of our most prominent independent journalist becoming a club employee. And in his role with BBC 3CR he’d wouldn’t be affected by the move away from iFollow.

We enjoy the many many strengths of Phil’s coverage of the club. His independence and ‘telling’ inference in his questions being but two. I would really miss his podcast and his humour, his commentary and his reports back to 3CR (which show up just how much better he is than the average fare they serve up).
    The club broadcast, inevitably, will be somewhat bland mild propaganda.
    We are lucky to have the professional honest energy of @bluntphil and I for one would be disappointed to see this key element of being Chairfolk compromised.

• Is there any reason why Phil couldn't keep his independence and the club broadcast take the 3CR commentary when he is doing it? Presumably whoever is doing it could have access to better camera work and the ability to do replays and it would improve 3CR's product. Would the club be in a position to negotiate?

I realise Rob must already have a plan for this.

If this did work I personally though would want the club to do something special for when we play Luton (or just conceivably franchise) next season and help 3CR organise proper home and away commentary rather than the cheapskate production 3CR do for derby games - I mean Luton rather than franchise when using that term. I don't think the Phil and Alicia team can be beaten atm- it was a real pleasure to listen to them yesterday.

• It would be great to get 100% Phil and lose the other Luton-supporting 3CR commentators

• Am I right in thinking we have a tie in with Bucks New Uni and their media department? Maybe a new media channel excluding the EFL platform will be a further extension of this. We’ve had some decent contributors that have been on internships in the past and I would be more inclined to have an enthusiastic youngster contributor than a tired old hack.

• As long as it's a professional set-up and not just an excuse to get in unpaid volunteers from media colleges I can see the attraction. I prefer a independent commentator like @bluntphil though.

• @perfidious_albion said:

@floyd said:
    I’m not sure I’d be in favour of our most prominent independent journalist becoming a club employee. And in his role with BBC 3CR he’d wouldn’t be affected by the move away from iFollow.

We enjoy the many many strengths of Phil’s coverage of the club. His independence and ‘telling’ inference in his questions being but two. I would really miss his podcast and his humour, his commentary and his reports back to 3CR (which show up just how much better he is than the average fare they serve up).
    The club broadcast, inevitably, will be somewhat bland mild propaganda.
    We are lucky to have the professional honest energy of @bluntphil and I for one would be disappointed to see this key element of being Chairfolk compromised.

Absolutely.

• Forest don’t use Ifollow…they have Forest TV but I think the commentary on the broadcasts is still Radio Nottingham’s Colin Fray. So we could keep 3CR commentary.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Forest don’t use Ifollow…they have Forest TV but I think the commentary on the broadcasts is still Radio Nottingham’s Colin Fray. So we could keep 3CR commentary.

That would be fantastic, and surely the way to go! We can't lose Phil's commentary.

• Phil's independence is probably a matter for him, but I would be reluctant to deprive 3CR's wider audience of his insight and knowledge. This is all pure speculation regarding Rob's intentions, but there must be some things it would be more difficult to say if you worked for the club and other things that you might be expected to say.

If Phil keeping his independence and us keeping his commentary is a good possiblility by using 3CR's output in the post ifollow world, then I really think it would be important to be able to choose whether or not to have 3CR for a particular game, or at least negotiate so that we always get a 'home' commentary on our channel. For me the 3CR product for those games where both teams are in the catchment area are the listening equivalent of a half and half scarf. Also sometimes there could be games where Phil isn't on 3CR - remember the 50 mile travel ban.

Rob says in his New Year Statement "....we will migrate to a new system controlled by the club and sensitive to your needs." - which I absolutely appauld. A football club should be able to control how its supporters see the games when they can't be there in person and how much they pay for the it and who the money goes to.

I appreciate Rob's 'sensitive to your needs' and maybe we feel strongly enough about the nature and quality of the commentary to make representations. The gasroom is what we have for reasoned debate and pretty good we are at it too. If this deserves a new thread with a poll to sharpen any input into the club's decision making process, then I am up for starting one; moreover I am also up for anyone else doing that.

• @Shev said:

@Forest_Blue said:
    Forest don’t use Ifollow…they have Forest TV but I think the commentary on the broadcasts is still Radio Nottingham’s Colin Fray. So we could keep 3CR commentary.

That would be fantastic, and surely the way to go! We can't lose Phil's commentary.

I think with Forest that the above is correct. I’m not sure that UK subscribers can watch games like on iFollow but those from the Vipienne region can still watch, however it’s about 25euros a game rather than 11euros. Not certain on this though I must admit.