Skip to content

Match day thread: Charlton

Comments

• Had a good giggle about that tweet earlier

• edited January 2022

Probably should have been two? Looked like he had time to get it onto his right, maybe not.

• Definitely he had so much more time than he took

• edited January 2022

Idk if this is a recent feature or I've just started picking up on it more, but so often our simple passes (or passes which should be simple) to our WBs make them receive on their weak foot - which shouldn't happen under no pressure. Particularly problematic with McCarthy, who has less of a left foot than Obita has a right foot. And I don't think it's a body shape thing from the WBs - I think we just tend to rush those little passes.

• Is it just the angle or have they brought the Shard on up front?

• Nice to see Vokes play the full 90 and us not chuck on Bayo by default to try and see it out

• From Charlton's twitter feed: '90+5 Very little football has been played in injury-time, with all sorts of techniques being deployed to run the clock down.'

• How are we still playing??

• Wow, hung on to the win just!

• I felt we were always pretty much in control rather than "hanging on"

• Superb.

• Wow, ima nervous wreck and I wasn't even watching ! Great result, hopefully the start of a great year !

• Horrible to watch in the second half, but yes, the shithousery was strong in this one and overall a superbly ground-out three points.

Many great individual performances.

Forino did some great things, a couple of slips too, but some excellent moments.

Top scuffling and breaking up play from Scowen as usual, in a game that desperately needed us to do that well.

Welcome back to Grimmer too, again a few blips but mostly pretty good.

Hanlan battling like a Trojan up front.

I thought Mehmeti got booked unnecessarily, but was also pivotal in the first goal, and some great defensive work too.

And McCleary back on form too. Others also played well but those were the standouts for me.

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    I felt we were always pretty much in control rather than "hanging on"

Save for that 10 mins or so before Wheeler came on, absolutely

• Lovely result. Very very tense to listen to.

• Clinton Morrison was reporting on SSN - he used the term ‘professional’ to describe our stoppage time performance. Slightly more neutral than the Charlton media team I would guess. This is shaping up to be a really tight second half of the season. Not many points separate the top 9, when you take into account games in hand (although points on the board are better than games in hand of course!)

Wigan are my pick to win the league this season.

• Top six, only five points off the top with same number of games played is not too shabby. Pressure all on Wigan. I'm not really surprised we're having to battle for it either. Exciting season.

• @Gary said:
    Clinton Morrison was reporting on SSN - he used the term ‘professional’ to describe our stoppage time performance. Slightly more neutral than the Charlton media team I would guess. This is shaping up to be a really tight second half of the season. Not many points separate the top 9, when you take into account games in hand (although points on the board are better than games in hand of course!)

I found a stream of the CharltonTV broadcast of the game, so watched that, and they were actually very fair. The post match panel discussion was more critical of Charlton for not effectively dealing with the Wycombe game plan rather than of Wycombe for bringing the game plan. One of the pundits knew Dobbo from way back and was complimentary of the Wycombe set up.

• Sounds a really good win, and a good day with MK and Oxford dropping points at home.

All looks a lot more rosy than midweek, but it didn't seem a result to get too down over!

• @therabbittest said:

@Gary said:
    Clinton Morrison was reporting on SSN - he used the term ‘professional’ to describe our stoppage time performance. Slightly more neutral than the Charlton media team I would guess. This is shaping up to be a really tight second half of the season. Not many points separate the top 9, when you take into account games in hand (although points on the board are better than games in hand of course!)

I found a stream of the CharltonTV broadcast of the game, so watched that, and they were actually very fair. The post match panel discussion was more critical of Charlton for not effectively dealing with the Wycombe game plan rather than of Wycombe for bringing the game plan. One of the pundits knew Dobbo from way back and was complimentary of the Wycombe set up.

Good stuff. The general consensus on Sky was that if they had a decent striker (like Stockley), they would have won comfortably.

• @Gary said:

@therabbittest said:

@Gary said:

Good stuff. The general consensus on Sky was that if they had a decent striker (like Stockley), they would have won comfortably.

I think sky pundit contradicted himself..one moment he said Wycombe deserved the points and then next time Charlton deserved something.

• @Aylesburyblue said:

@Gary said:

@therabbittest said:

@Gary said:

I think sky pundit contradicted himself..one moment he said Wycombe deserved the points and then next time Charlton deserved something.

If the sky pundit was Clinton Morrison, he barely knows what day of the week it is, he's dreadful

• The one thing I am certain of is ‘if Charlton has a decent striker they’d have won’ is just not true. Charlton has a good 10 minutes after half time, but we’re very average otherwise. Stockdale made one decent save all day and not a lot else to do. They looked like a mid table team.

We still didn’t play well with the ball today, yet still created by far the best chances (Vokes goal, Hanlan, McCleary). We defended resolutely and kept quite a comfortable clean sheet. I thought it was generally a very mediocre League 1 game, but we played better than at Ipswich and we’re back up and running again with 3 points which was very important to keep us in the play off hunt. Vokes MOTM for me, thought he had a cracking game.

• I’m not sure how much it would have impacted the outcome but they did look short of a centre forward. Didn’t seem to be a target for crosses.

They got around the sides between our wing backs and left/right centre backs a bit too much for me. Thankfully we were able to make some good blocks and tackles.

I thought Scowen made a big difference. He knows when to commit a foul, when to crunch into a tackle or slow down play etc. Very good performance, although much of his work goes under the radar.

Charlton were decent and on another day could have had a point. Our goal was clinical though and I thought we did well second half to weather the storm and offer a counter attacking threat. Shame Hanlan and Mcleary weren’t able to put their chances away to wrap the game up sooner - great build up play from JJ and Vokes to put McCleary in for his chance.

• That was my first game watching Wycombe in the flesh for a while and it really was noticeable how little of a midfield we had until Wheeler came on. That's not intended to be disrespectful to Mehmeti but he really isn't a defensive central midfielder and shouldn't expect to have to fulfill that role.

I think we have to stop trying to shoehorn him, McCleary and Hanlan into the same team and just accept the midfield needs more balance to stop it being overrun. Time and again Charlton surged through, picking the pass that split open the midfield. I agree with those who say they were a Sam Vokes away from running away with that match - we were able to snuff out the balls at the edge of the box but the gaps allowed them to come back seconds later.

Our long ball game was off today as well, Stockdale overshot with a few too many of his kicks. But he was there when it mattered, a calm presence with a couple of great chances stopped.

The positives for me were Grimmer who looked good and in control at the back and Forino who played really well alongside him. Scowen was fantastic at breaking up play, especially when Wheeler came on to settle things around him. Hanlan had a good match. McCleary and Vokes were sharp.

It's no coincidence that our best two chances - the goal and McCleary's shot - came from playing the ball out of defence and on the deck, allowing first McCarthy and then JJ to surge through. We've got the players to do that, I don't understand why we're still not seeing it more often.

• edited January 2022

Some gems for this week's RTB.

• Losing to pub clubs like Wycombe whose total support would not fill one stand at the Valley is another new low.

• Wycombe are a fucking horror show. Thoroughly unlikeable players/team and without McCleary are bang average.

• Wouldn't want Vokes near us because unless you put it on his feet or head then he offers nothing apart from kicking the shit out of players.

• Wycombe were just a real shithouse of a team that had no intention of playing football and as soon as they realised what a soft touch the ref was, the game was as good as over. Stockdale should be embarrassed to have anything other that "Cheating c**t" on his CV. If we went about our business of playing like that to win, I for one would be finding something else to do on my weekends. It's not sour grapes, as I'm well used to seeing us lose, but I pay my money to watch football, not to see them cheating, feigning injury and blatant time wasting.

• I've had a look on their forum, and they are being quite fair actually ! Saying we did a job on them and are moaning at their team for not dealing with it.... rather than us doing it

• Thought Vokes was fantastic today, held up what he needed to and won all the 2nd half headers.

Great away showing, came into it the 1st half, rode through the 1st 10 of the 2nd, and controlled it, really.

Thought we needed to move it quicker through midfield, and Mehmeti really doesn't work as a CM.

Charlton were terrible going forward, which helped out.