Skip to content

Match day thread: Ipswich

Comments

• Sloppy.

• FFS comedy goal to put the Tractor boys ahead

• On first viewing it looked like a foul throw to me. Maybe not though!

• Really poor goal to concede, lucky for Ipswich but on balance not an unfair scoreline at HT

• Keystone cops stuff again.

• That’s one for the blooper reel. Not really got going yet. On the back foot too much

• edited December 2021

Do we consider that teams can, in fact, score from throw-ins? Sheff Wed again.

• @jessvl1 said:
    Really poor goal to concede, lucky for Ipswich but on balance not an unfair scoreline at HT

Narrowly shaded it.

• We look very rusty just nor clicking yet

• Jason McCarthy is such a good ball carrier, as he's shown several times this half, but how often does he put a really good ball in? Once every 10 games if we're lucky?

• Good game so far, poor goal to concede though.

• Entertaining first half but we don’t look at all likely to score. Still too hopeful in our attacking passes, gonna take a big slice of luck to actually get it in the net like this.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Jason McCarthy is such a good ball carrier, as he's shown several times this half, but how often does he put a really good ball in? Once every 10 games if we're lucky?

His corner was good to be fair

• We've looked solid enough, but not really carried any threat going forwards. We have to change things now, but not surprisingly we've looked rather rusty so far. Could be a very tough 45mins

• @therabbittest said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Jason McCarthy is such a good ball carrier, as he's shown several times this half, but how often does he put a really good ball in? Once every 10 games if we're lucky?

His corner was good to be fair

His dead-ball delivery isn't bad, but it's like he takes too long searching for the perfect ball in open play and just produces nothing.

• Is it just me wondering how Ipswich are not higher in the table?

• We seem to be rushing things and seldom getting more than two passes together.

• We’re too consumed by their attacking to mount any significant threat of our own. 5-2-3 is leaving us exposed in the centre AND oddly on the wings. Usually it’s one or the other. And their keeper is a horror show if we ever get a chance to test him

• edited December 2021

JJ stepping out of the back three out of possession is throwing the organisation of that unit off as well - presumably he's stepping out by instruction, but we've been dangerously outnumbered a few times and they ought to have scorer earlier than they did.

• Also, GK and officials wearing the same colour? Is that just allowed now? Seems to have become really common.

• Passing accuracy 50% compared to their 72% says a but rusty to me.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Passing accuracy 50% compared to their 72% says a but rusty to me.

Not really, just says clash of styles. Obviously we have had some rusty moments, such as JJ's 'pass' before the one (were there two?) that got flagged for offside.

• Too many occasions their centre back has waltzed up th pitch to within 25 yards if our goal. Inviting that once a season rocket into the top corner. Got to get another 2 bodies in the middle to help Wheels and Thompson. They will be knackered after another 20 minutes of this. Change Mehmeti for McCarthy to play in the gap behind a front 2. Hamlin and Bikes as the front pair and McCleary back into the midfield. But, what do I know?

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Passing accuracy 50% compared to their 72% says a but rusty to me.

I’m not sure that stat is very different to normal for us but I agree we’ve not clicked yet. The comment above about our being somewhat occupied by defending against their threat has something to it but we can definitely do better with the possession we do have.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Hamlin and Bikes

Wonderful

• @therabbittest said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    Hamlin and Bikes

Wonderful

So we have Bikes and Wheels. We just need to buy a Bell!

• Two attacks murdered by Thompson there

• All I want for xmas is a pass on the floor.

• To a teammate.

• Phrase of the night. ‘The final ball’s a poor one’.