Skip to content

Holloway (and other stuff)

edited January 2016 in Football

Dropped because of form or sulk on Tuesday ? Career ending alert being sounded?

Comments

• What is the point in this thread

• to talk about Holloway I'd presume Scarlet.

Writing very much on the wall for that young man I'm afraid.

For all the jip Wood gets, which seems to mostly be from the U20s "yoof", Holloway HAS literally done next to nothing this season, when we all expected him to be really kicking on.
    "Unplayable" is a word sometimes bandied around with him.
    "Massively underachieving given the huge talents he's blessed with" is more what I'd use.

• Not good enough

• Personally I'm not a fan of wood but I do note slate of our players, and the stick our youngsters get example ugwu when he hasn't had much game time when others have and the results are much the same and never get a mention of there form of play.

• I dunno, I think you're being a tad harsh on him. After the play offs he would probably have expected to start this season as one of the first choice strikers but then GA brought in Thompson and has stuck with him even when he's not scored for weeks at a time and often looks off the pace. By contrast, even when Holloway has played well off the bench he's rarely started the next match. More often than not he's forced to play with Ugwu or Kretzchmar rather than with Hayes - and almost always when we're playing hoofball rather than the passing play his game thrives on. When it all comes together, like at Millwall, Holloway delivers. But I don't blame him for getting frustrated (probably mostly with himself) when circumstances prevent him from excelling. He does need to cut out the petulance when things don't go his way though.

• @scarlet said:
    Personally I'm not a fan of wood but I do note slate of our players, and the stick our youngsters get example ugwu when he hasn't had much game time when others have and the results are much the same and never get a mention of there form of play.their

• His career at Wycombe Wanderers is certainly close to an end.

• My gripe is his perceived lack of effort. Often he has played alongside the old boys and seems happy for them to do all the closing down whilst he plods around.

He is undoubtedly a talent with bags of skill. His application will be what lets him down. Like so many

• He will be gone just like the other lazy arse Banton by the 31st and good riddance.

• Oh god. So Banton is staying to the end of the season. But personally I do hope AAH stays. I think him and Paris will work well.

• I have admired his obvious skill for a while but he doesn't seem to have the correct mind set and has been pretty ineffective this season . I could be because he is frustrated with the hooof ball and doesn't enjoy playing or he may just be plain lazy .

• Our whole tactic is energy, pressing and closing from front to back. If only 9 outfield players do that then it creates gaps and the tactic falls apart.
    Banton has the skills but clearly felt disinclined to do the ugly stuff such as tracking back and closing down. AAH adopts the same mind set therefore it can only end one way for him.

He may go on to have a cracking career at some level of football but in division 4 luxury players just don't seem to make it.

I REALLY hope he is given a chance as Thompson is not scoring and neither is Hayes so someone has to as I don't have a lot of faith in Ugwu to hit double figures.

• I don't think many have faith in Ugwu scoring single figures to be honest.

Take that goal at Orient that should have been Bloomfield's I can barely remember him having many chances let alone missing many.

I've seen people suggesting Thompson could go left wing too, which would surely mean even less assists than Wood is providing, which isn't loads.

• Garry is not a centre forward, he has player left wing most of his career.

• True and PCH can play as a forward . Thompson on the left harriman right with Hayes and PCH up front and Holloway sulking in the stands . All we need then is for the centre backs to stop hoofing the ball .

• @bourne70 What makes you say that "Holloway sulks in the stands"? Seemed perfectly chipper when he was stood next to me yesterday.

• @EwanHoosaami - "no comment" came the stern reply! So much conjecture on this forum, especially regarding finances. Why don't these people join the Trust, I wonder (or perhaps, like me, they are members and

• ....can't get to grips with the technicalities. Perhaps time for a Board member to clarify on here - or is that unrealistic?

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

Our whole tactic is energy, pressing and closing from front to back. If only 9 outfield players do that then it creates gaps and the tactic falls apart.
    Banton has the skills but clearly felt disinclined to do the ugly stuff such as tracking back and closing down. AAH adopts the same mind set therefore it can only end one way for him.

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub; Fair enough, so what happened v O's as neither Banton or Holloway where playing. Surely all the outfield players where tracking back and closing down ?

How many Free kicks did we win upfront for JJ to do his thing ummhh who was linking midfield to attack ummhh, creating chances and causing problems ? The game was sh!@ but hey lets talk about those who didn't play...

I tell it to you as it is, Thompson and Hayes have played the most games together upfront are in most of your starting team and most claim we play better with that pairing so stop looking for excuses and kicking the buck towards the bench the stands or some other training ground that one might be training.

• edited January 2016

I heartily concur with Cider.

Let me be pessimistic for a minute.

We have two old, tired strikers - neither of whom have hit goalscoring form this season and one of whom is regularly injured. We have a left winger who literally has had one good game this season yet is always picked. We have in O'Nien a fantastic talent but who is showing signs of strain - certainly his performances recently aren't quite up to the level they were Sept-Nov. Perhaps because he's having to often do the job of two midfielders as Bloomfield blows hot and cold. We don't appear to have a creative midfielder in the squad (unless you count a youth team loanee). We have a defence which is excelling - but is a lot less settled than last season. We have a rookie goalkeeper who will be tested by opposing teams keen to lessen his confidence. We have a small squad with a significant number of underperforming (or perceived to be underperforming) players: Banton, McGinn, Rowe, Sellers, Holloway, Kretchzmar, Ugwu.

Clearly there are lots of positives this season as well. The emergence of Pierre from the shadow of Mawson. A brilliant spot from Ainsworth in O'Nien. The signing of Harriman. Bean proving his detractors (including myself) wrong. McCarthy being an exceptional loan signing. PCH hopefully coming back with a point to prove.

But if I were to be level-headed, I would say this second half of the season is far more likely to consist of a drop down to mid-table obscurity and potentially even a flirt with the bottom six unless Ainsworth is allowed to spend some of the recent proceeds on a creative midfielder and striker; comes up with a ball-playing system that suits his current squad, and somehow integrates PCH in the team ahead of Wood.

• Superb analysis @aloysius.

• @aloysius happy days.. I think we are much better with McCarthy in the back 4 and not Sido. also, we need Bean back asap. As for spending the money from the cup/Ingram - hardly any chance of that. Still believe we can push for the playoffs. I just think that the midweek game took all the running out of the guys - let's not forget what a great effort that was.

• @aloysius. You are spot on. May I say your assessment is the best post I have read on this site this season. For one minute I thought I was in a minority of one with my views of the current squad but you have confirmed that I am not going mad.

• Ditto.

• Oh dear I wonder when we will hear the first cries of spring of the restive chairboy will be heard "tactically inept", "lost the dressing room" , "bring Scotty in". Cant be too long now.

for me reaching the playoffs with the current squad is not impossible ( we were in that position until the weekend), perhaps the most likely scenario is somewhere around 10th. 10th would be above reasonable expectations at the start of the season given squad budget, playoffs considerably above.

meanwhile pretty much all the players will try to do the best they can, but injuries and form and natural ability will mean that some disappoint while some exceed expectations. At the end of the season, some of those who disappoint will not be offered contracts for the next season and we will bring in another lot. Lionel Messi will turn down our offer despite the more excitable members of this forum claiming it as a done deal using their "inside knowledge". Next season some other poor sod will become that seasons boo boy, regardless of past service, and the wheel will turn again.

Finances will remain extremely tight meaning we will probably not win the league with a record points total. Useless tw*ts.

• Maybe distance lends enchantment @DevC . I rarely get to away games now and I am sure, from all the comments about how well we play away from home, that the main reason for some of us being slightly disenchanted is the amount of hoofball played at Adams Park and, for a second season, a relatively poor home record.

• @aloysius spot on.

I believe we got the players, it's the hoof and pressure tactics not too similar to American Football defence crap. Would like to play to players strengths every now and then. I don't expect and wouldn't expect, Ainsworth abaddoning our high intensity pressure game but mix it up a bit.Teams are just riding the storm until we slack off then boom they score.

• I bet we're not in the bottom six at any point in the remainder of the season.

• DevC do you ever watch any home games?

• Too busy perving at females travelling alone on the Devonshire railways, than to ever venture to Adams Park.