Skip to content

Oxford City v Slough Town (1pm)

After a raft of postponements the only Boxing Day match left currently anywhere near South Bucks is the National League South match between Oxford City & Slough Town (1pm kick off) at Court Place Farm, Oxford on their 3G pitch.

Matches at Barnet, Wealdstone, Brackley & Hemel Hempstead have all succumbed to Covid,

Comments

• Come on Oxford!!
    (Words I never thought I would say!)

• 1208 watched this match, Oxford City's highest ever attendance for a competitive match at Marsh Lane, and they saw City go three points clear at the top of National League South.

• Went to this - just up the road from me - and it was a great day out and advert for non league football. Crowd was boosted no doubt by Oxford Utd's game being called off and City offering cheap entry to any Utd fan who'd bought a ticket for the Pompey game. Some 150 or so noisy Rebels fans added to the atmosphere and while City didn't play like table toppers, Benyon's 40-yard goal on the half volley, having spotted the keeper out of position, was worthy of any game. To be honest, having hit the woodwork twice, Slough (captained by ex-Wycombe loanee Scott Davies) probably deserved a point at least.

Currently City are at the highest point they've ever been in their history; they probably count as minnows even at National League South level, so a move up to the National League would be an incredible achievement for them. Feels like a lifetime since we'd regularly meet them on Boxing Day but it's great to see them currently enduring something of a golden era after nearly disappearing when they lost their old White House ground.

• Impressive attendance showing the British love for football remains. Falmouth yesterday , playing at one level below Risborough for example, attracted a crowd of over 1100.

• Looking forward to City and United playing a league game!

• @DevC said:
    Impressive attendance showing the British love for football remains. Falmouth yesterday , playing at one level below Risborough for example, attracted a crowd of over 1100.

Saw that Falmouth attendance, was there a special reason for it?

• As far as I am aware several factors coming together - Falmouth have won every game this season, long way to nearest league team, Truro moving to Plymouth displacing supporters, non league reorg creating a promotion path, postponement of Helston - Mousehole game (the other bigger West Cornwall teams) and decent weather.

• That Elliot Benyon goal. Never forget he was born in High Wycombe.

• Is that their away kit? Don't they normally play in blue and white hoops?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Is that their away kit? Don't they normally play in blue and white hoops?

Was about to say the same thing

• Great strike though !

• @ReturnToSenda said:

It was Anything But Home day raising awareness for Shelter, I think.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

It was Anything But Home day raising awareness for Shelter, I think.

Ahh, good stuff!

• What a goal!