Skip to content

Wimbledon - Covid letter

This seems to me to express some reasonable sentiments: https://mobile.twitter.com/AFCWimbledon/status/1475150320678416388

Comments

• Beg his pardon. I've just seen that @ReturnToSenda has posted the same letter elsewhere.

• I was going to post it separately actually, so you've got one step ahead of me there!

• Could come back to bite them though!

• Impressive statement I think. I would like to think we are also managing our squad effectively as it seems to be other teams cancelling rather than us so far.

• edited December 2021

@Wendoverman said:
    Impressive statement I think. I would like to think we are also managing our squad effectively as it seems to be other teams cancelling rather than us so far.

One would like to think so, wouldn't one, though there are so many moving parts involved, and so much of the bug about that, that I think it's more likely to be more down to good fortune on the whole.

• @username123 said:
    Could come back to bite them though!

In what way do you see that as a possibility?

• A lot rings true in that piece. Getting a bit fed up of football clubs and people in general using covid as an excuse to get out of things.

• @HCblue said:

@username123 said:

They could lose players easily, kids mixing at school and bringing it home. Not all players live at home, don’t mix and live in a 1 bed flat

• I thought that was pretty measured and they raise some good points.

• It does but will it make a difference or will they get the usual platitudes from the EFL acknowledging their frustrations and blaming the difficult times we live in

• Not sure if it’s just me. I know I should like and respect Wimbledon given their history. Somehow I find them whiney and overly entitled. Can’t say that statement did anything to change that impression.

• @DevC said:
    Not sure if it’s just me. I know I should like and respect Wimbledon given their history. Somehow I find them whiney and overly entitled. Can’t say that statement did anything to change that impression

Is this the definition of irony?

• edited December 2021

@HCblue said:

@username123 said:

If they have to call a future game off for covid they'll look absolute clowns :)

• @Malone said:

If they have to call a future game off for covid they'll look absolute clowns :)

Don’t see that. They have stated what they have been doing, and no doubt will continue to do, whilst acknowledging that they are in a high covid area. It basically says we take precautions and test while we believe others don’t go to these lengths.

It says clubs should be held accountable for all decisions taken that lead up to postponements. Nowhere does it say postponements should not be possible.

• 'Meanwhile, clubs with larger squads will have the upper hand, having been provided the opportunity to take a more relaxed approach knowing there will be no penalties for conduct that sits outside of the protocols.'

This is a ridiculous whinging generalisation. Ipswich had their game at Gillingham called off on account of Gillingham and they are currently on track to play us even though Cambridge were not. The Ipswich vs Sunderland game went ahead between the teams with the two biggest squads.

• That’s rather proving their point.

• edited December 2021

Having a bigger squad means you'll be hit less hard by fixture congestion down the road, too... I'm just glad we've got good depth.

• That letter is all very well but the reference to an "X1" is an abomination. How difficult is it to write XI or 11?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Having a bigger squad means you'll be hit less hard by fixture congestion down the road, too... I'm just glad we've got good depth.

We're the best we've ever been for squad strength, but you still wouldn't want to see us without 3 or 4 of the critical spine players for more than the occasional game.

• Hopefully it won't come to that, but I'm braced for the next two games being off

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Hopefully it won't come to that, but I'm braced for the next two games being off

A pal offered to drive to Ipswich, but I'm just not feeling it in this climate.
    Charlton just feels an even bigger risk doesn't it. London and with the "restriction" rumours still hanging about just seems a recipe for it not to be on or behind closed doors.

• edited December 2021

They've done nowt about clubs with big squads picking and choosing wether they fancy playing in international breaks based on very flimsy rules, seems unlikely they'll do much more here.
    Ipswich is probably a better away trip than Charlton if on. Will see what them in charge say if anything.

• Wimbledon’s NYD fixture against Plymouth has also been postponed.

Interestingly, Plymouth are quite open about the fact it is partly down to injuries and not just covid.

In line with the EFL’s enhanced guidance and protocols for COVID-19, the club informed the EFL early on Tuesday that a combination of positive COVID cases and player injuries left the squad below the minimum numbers required to play this week's matches.

• Most clubs say that from what I've seen - because they know they can get away with it. Interesting to see what we say if we have to request a postponement.

• I agree with them. If the EFL weren't such gullible, spineless cowards and told teams they'd be docked three points for failure to fulfill, you watch them magically raise a team. It might be a Pizza Pan style squad but they'd draft in youngsters, just as Bolton did when they were having issues a couple of years back.

Middlesbrough were docked three points back in 96, for a 'flu' outbreak, wnt down as a consequence as they could only draw 0-0 in the replay. I know times are different now but teams shouldn't be getting away with it.