Skip to content

Comments

• A shame...not the fans fault. Just been helped by a youngling to download the NHS app as well! Even if we are not allowed to ask questions that impinge on freedoms, surely, owners and managers are going to have to start inquiring about vaccination status soon.

• Over 100,000 cases today for the first time ?

• What can you do on Boxing Day with no footie? Don't suggest seeing the In-Laws

• Man, for the last 30 years Boxing Day footie has got me out of seeing the in-laws!

The horror!

• Bigger than vaccination, these constant outbreaks surely prove that none of these clubs are adequately testing/ventilating/taking literally any sensible precautions.

• Playing fast and loose with your definition of proof there

• I'm staring to wonder if we wont see us play again until 2022...

• @therabbittest said:
    Bigger than vaccination, these constant outbreaks surely prove that none of these clubs are adequately testing/ventilating/taking literally any sensible precautions.

Our place has been taking massive precautions...hence I am back at home...but people are still being infected. Not serious illness but Islolateagedden is emptying our office. If you have kids or go to Tesco you're running the risk. Having said what I said above, I accept that they could all be triple jabbed and could still get infected.

• edited December 2021

@therabbittest said:
    Bigger than vaccination, these constant outbreaks surely prove that none of these clubs are adequately testing/ventilating/taking literally any sensible precautions.

I mean, Omicron does spread like jam on toast...

• Not specific to the Cambridge match, but I feel that where a club cannot field a team but if that includes unvaccinated covid positive players which if available would have meant they could have met the minimum squad size, then that team should forfeit the match.

Then it’s up to the clubs to decide if they wish to carry such a risk.

• @carrickblue said:
    Not specific to the Cambridge match, but I feel that where a club cannot field a team but if that includes unvaccinated covid positive players which if available would have meant they could have met the minimum squad size, then that team should forfeit the match.

Carnage if they try this and the league ends up with deductions all over the place. Also would be a question of whether clubs can be held accountable if they can't enforce vaccinations. League are still firmly in hope it all blows over soon mode. Will see again in a few weeks.

• I'm gutted as my daughter has been unable to attend a match for over 2 years. I was so looking forward to her standing next to me at the back of the terrace, singing Chairboys with me. I bought the ticket as a Christmas Pressie. I hope that those who are ill soon recover.

• @carrickblue said:
    Not specific to the Cambridge match, but I feel that where a club cannot field a team but if that includes unvaccinated covid positive players which if available would have meant they could have met the minimum squad size, then that team should forfeit the match.

In principle I agree, but practically it's unenforceable.

• It's annoying but hopefully it will give our injured players especially Scowen more time to recover,i doubt there will be many games left in Leagues 1 & 2 on Boxing Day.

• Clubs may have to do something if there are fully vaccinated punters waving NHS apps wanting to drink non-real ale and buy £8 pies being denied the freedom to spend their money at football grounds.

• I was also going to take my 5yr old grandson, who lives in Madrid. At least he can wear his new Wycombe shirt at the Bernabeu!

• @therabbittest said:

Unless you secure the 30 or so people who make up the first team squad and staff in some sort of impenetrable bubble, not letting them see any family, friends or general public, I'd say it's pretty impossible for these outbreaks not to happen with the current rate of infection.

• @carrickblue said:

They took years to clamp down on Derby's scandalous financials. They're not suddenly going to magic a rule like this in. Especially as clubs would probably have to sign up.

• edited December 2021

5/12 League One games already off, including Ipswich's (not sure if cases in their camp or Gillingham's or both)

• The only (excuse the pun!) positive, is that this has been declared relatively early.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    5/12 League One games already off, including Ipswich's (not sure if cases in their camp or Gillingham's or both)

Down to Gillingham apparently, although Ipswich have had cases

• Ironically having not missed too many games since 1968, this was going to be my 1st Boxing day game since my eldest son was born 31 years ago as I had been let off in-law duties.

• Boxing Day alternatives to in-laws:

Barnet v Boreham Wood (Nat Lge)
    Wealdstone v Maidenhead Utd (Nat Lge)
    Brackley Town v Kettering T (Nat Lge Nth)
    Hemel Hempstead Town v St Albans City (Nat Lge South)

** I guess every game will be subject to some sort of doubt so probably worth checking with respective clubs before setting out. Some good games though!

• Barnet is off

• Not sure we can draw any conclusions regarding club’s vaccination rates and infection rates at the moment.

I know half a dozen people (over 18) who have tested positive in the last week, all of whom were double vaccinated and at least two have had the booster. Common factor is that they all have school age children.

So we have no way of knowing (and in my opinion no right to know) whether non-vaccination in the Cambridge squad is remotely relevant (whilst noting that statistically it may be)

• @A_Worboys said:
    Boxing Day alternatives to in-laws:

For those out West, Oxford City v Slough Town (NL South). 1pm KO, Students/U18s free.

• Mrs Ital doesn’t allow alternatives so it’s a selection of cold meats and The Great Escape for me.

• @Steve_Peart said:

For those out West, Oxford City v Slough Town (NL South). 1pm KO, Students/U18s free.

West??

• Why doesn't any Grassroots football have matches on Boxing Day anymore?!? Seems really stupid!

• @Malone said:

@carrickblue said:

They took years to clamp down on Derby's scandalous financials. They're not suddenly going to magic a rule like this in. Especially as clubs would probably have to sign up.

I understand the EFL are looking at employing Michael Masi.