Skip to content

Africa Cup of Nations

edited December 2021 in Football

Sullay Kaikai named in Sierra Leone's provisional 40-man squad. Tournament has just been confirmed as going ahead - starts 9th Jan, all games on Sky Sports. If he goes and plays, he'll be the first Wycombe player to appear at a major tournament since Mark Rogers (2002 Concacaf Gold Cup).

Comments

• Good luck to him if he goes

• Their first game is 11th Jan v Algeria, 1pm kick-off

• Of all our new signings this season, Kaikai has to have been the biggest disappointment so far

• edited December 2021

Not really. Hasn't played regularly (487 mins, much of it out of position) and still has three assists (only JJ and Obita have more) - superb set-piece delivery too. And won the pen v Wimbledon. I'm not sure how he can be considered a disappointment by any stretch.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Not really. Hasn't played regularly (487 mins, much of it out of position) and still has three assists (only JJ and Obita have more) - superb set-piece delivery too. And won the pen v Wimbledon. I'm not sure how he can be considered a disappointment by any stretch.

Standard “not leading goal scorer and leading assist maker while team are 12 point clear at Christmas” level of disappointment? ;-)

• @TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Standard “not leading goal scorer and leading assist maker while team are 12 point clear at Christmas” level of disappointment? ;-)

Ainsworth out

• But yeah, Kaikai looks like making something happen pretty much whenever he has the ball. Lack of minutes is testament to what an incredibly strong squad we have now - especially in the attacking positions. Even Horgan can barely get a game at the moment!

• Kaikai and Horgan have both been impeded from a run in the first team by the club deciding to play matches during international breaks. Hard to get a run with so many international breaks and others performing whilst they are away.

Sad to see some falling in to the current annoyance of if you aren't brilliant you must be crap. Both are great options to have for any match. Shame they are overseas for so many.

• I’d agree that Kaikai has been the most disappointing, because I had very high expectations and he’s not had as many minutes as I’d have thought when he signed. But that’s because other players (McCleary, Hanlan) have been playing so well he can’t break into the team. Not a negative at all.

He has contributed a lot when he’s been on the pitch.

• When we signed him I did wonder what position he would be employed in as we rarely favour wingers. Him and Horgan are in the same boat on that front although Horgan has become marginally more effective down the middle where he (happily/sadly) now has to compete with Mehmeti.
    It’s a lovely problem to have.

• Kaikai and Horgan on paper perhaps 'haven't delivered' but when you look into it it is not so much that they haven't delivered but rather it's hard to shift the players that are starting. When they do come on they have been decent. What options to have and what a strong squad we have for this league.

• Steven Caulker looks set to become the first England International to play in the Africa Cup of Nations.

• I remember reading when we signed Kaikai that his preferred position is as a number 10. Shame we've not seen him there yet.

• @wwfcblue said:
    Steven Caulker looks set to become the first England International to play in the Africa Cup of Nations.

I didn't spot him in the squad list at first! I didn't realise he'd played for England, just remember that weird loan to Liverpool.

• Have to confess I’ve never heard of Steven Caulker. I’m guessing that it’s mostly QPR fans who have.

• Is it not on Eurosport?

• Sky Sports this time

• edited December 2021

And some games (incl. semis and final) on the Beeb

• edited December 2021

@micra said:
    Have to confess I’ve never heard of Steven Caulker. I’m guessing that it’s mostly QPR fans who have.

He got an England cap and played consistently in the premier league for a while so I expect most premier League fans would know who he was

• Plays for Gaziantep on loan from Fenerbache these days. The more you know!

• Nothing against the bloke - like everyone else in the squad, he seems a good sort who tries his best - but I agree with those putting him in the "bit disappointing so far" category. He has done next to nothing of note in open play so far. As always, I hope for an upsurge anon and assume there's more to come from him that we've not seen yet. His record last year, in the same league, was rather good, wasn't it.

• edited December 2021

I remember a couple of fans adamant Parker hadn't been an underwhelming signing, despite barely getting near the pitch in 2 seasons.

Kaikai has made a few decent assists, but he's simply not featured that much.
    It's a sign of how strong the squad is these days. Plenty of time for him though.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Sky Sports this time

Cheers. Hopefully they’ll bring back Archie Macpherson commentating from an office off the Strand

• edited December 2021
  • Someone may have already said this, but it is a little ironic that it is our international players who have the hardest time getting on the pitch for us!

• @Shev said:
    Someone may have already said this, but it is a little ironic that it is our international players who have the hardest time getting on the pitch for us!

Missing games and training doesn't help tbh