Skip to content

COVID 19 and Club's Vaccination Status

Comments

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    You know, I'm double jabbed and boosted and I personally detest the numbers of 'idiots' that are jeopardizing the health of the rest of us in such a cavalier way. However, the only point of a free society is the right to express and demonstrate free will. If we don't respect this we fail at step one of true freedom. In the past world wars, conscientious objectors were vilified, punished and generally hated for their views. My concern is that we're only a step away from terrace barracking and social media insulting of individuals in our squad. Should the EFL choose to move to the US model and suspend players then fine, but it's not up to us.

Conscientious objection (I assume) was based on an admirable determination to avoid being involved in activity endangering the lives of hundreds of thousands of “fellow participants”. It’s not difficult, against the background of overpowering threat to the freedoms we still tend to take for granted, to understand why they faced antagonism.

It’s not too great a stretch, perhaps, to look upon anti-vaxxers as being in the opposite camp and, with the exception of those with medical reasons not to have the jabs, being disturbingly cavalier in their attitude towards the risks to which they subject the rest of us.

• I suspect the ones likely to barrack and insult our players normally would be the ones supporting them in not getting Gates nanobots injected. They cannot moan about not having crowds and telling us lot to be careful and get vaxxed if they are not. Same as before - no-one wants football stopped but if you're not getting vaccinated or taking proper precautions football will stop. I would imagine most people would be happy to keep businesses going, travel, go to the pictures and football by having a vaccine passports without feeling their human rights have been trampled on. The Fat Boy got a landslide for gawd's sake.
    (I accept that for some that may signal the beginning of the end for democracy...but i think that bus left some time ago...)

• Should have added that in no way would I condone vilification and abuse of anti-vaxxers. Just hope that the reported trend towards wider acceptance of the importance of the jab continues. All about persuasion and education innit.

• I think we would all have respect for someone who'd spent their adult life researching infectious disease and working in epidemiology who concluded from the evidence they had that they were choosing not to have the vaccination

People retweeting Matt Le Tissier and Denise Welch and saying "do you see yet?".....not so much

• So we need to be marrying them, cooking alluring meals and then threatening to put dinner their dinner the dog? Kudos to HK for the social science.

• A Tory MP tweeting that high ranking medical professionals have no right to tell elected officials (with no medical training) what to do is peak Johnson administration.

• @Wendoverman said:
    A Tory MP tweeting that high ranking medical professionals have no right to tell elected officials (with no medical training) what to do is peak Johnson administration.

Joy Morrissey, MP for Beaconsfield?

• Remarkable contrast with the previous MP. It really is depressing the standards of the political class these days.

• I assume she goes against Patel and co. on migrants, considering she is one...

• Yep, having her and Steve Baker in neighbouring constituencies is really quite depressing

• But no, seriously, there is now a debate over who the worst Morrissey is, which I never thought was a point we'd get to.

• Interestingly someone I know vaguely who works in and around westminster somewhere within the lamestream media and has no idea where I live etc etc was saying bluffer MPs like Bridgen and Francois who just want to make a populist racket and get their mug on telly and snouts in the cash know this is all a game whereas people 'like Steve Baker' really do think God is speaking to them. I was not aware Wycombe's finest was a holy roller.

• I presume it's that voice that tells him to kill.

• Stay out of science :D

• People donated quite a lot of money to an poor quality posh actor's 'political party' to allow him to have expensive maskless lunches with his right-wing mates in the interests of 'freedom'. People like him, Beery Nigel and even the Fat Owl are well aware that 'they must have seen you coming' is alive and well. '

• @Wendoverman said:
    People donated quite a lot of money to an poor quality posh actor's 'political party' to allow him to have expensive maskless lunches with his right-wing mates in the interests of 'freedom'. People like him, Beery Nigel and even the Fat Owl are well aware that 'they must have seen you coming' is alive and well. '

Excuse my ignorance, but who's the Fat Owl?

• Sorry @ReturnToSenda I always see the PM as Billy Bunter...the Fat Owl of the Remove. But that may be my age.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Sorry @ReturnToSenda I always see the PM as Billy Bunter...the Fat Owl of the Remove. But that may be my age.

I realise that of course I should refer to him as the Bariatric Owl of the Remove.

• Fox is going to need some treatment for that burn.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Sorry @ReturnToSenda I always see the PM as Billy Bunter...the Fat Owl of the Remove. But that may be my age.

Yeah, that was far too retro a reference for me!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Wendoverman said:

Yeah, that was far too retro a reference for me!

I am nothing if not retro @ReturnToSenda ?

• I was watching one of those gentle ‘Gone Fishing’ style shows last night featuring the comedian David O’Doherty on his bicycle. In the first show he was accompanied by Richard Ayoade.

I love Ayoade’s stuff (especially Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace - the greatest comedy ever made). But every time I see him now I experience a wave of sadness, knowing that the poor sod has ‘Lozza’ Fox as his brother-in-law.

Just imagine that ?

• +1 for Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace.

• Ah, yes, the Fat Owl of the Remove at Greyfriars School. Loved the Just William stories as a boy and only discovered to my surprise many years later that the author, Richmal Crompton, was a woman. Not sure why I was surprised. No Wikipedia then; only the Encyclopaedia Britannica which needed a truck to transport and few could afford (yet was still being presented to Countdown Champions until a few years ago.

My admiration for the wit of @Wendoverman is well known - typified by pithy ripostes like the response to @ReturnToSenda at 1.45. But I really struggle with some of the longer political posts. The last sentence of the post at 1.33 left me cold, I’m afraid, and with frustration with myself for not ‘getting it’.

To continue the theme of tastes and fancies in the wonderful world of humour, I wholeheartedly share @arnos_grove’s love of Richard Ayoade’s stuff but am unfamiliar with Garth Merenghi’s Dark Place (if you’ll excuse the expression).
    In stark contrast, I switched over briefly last night to Mock the Week. A puerile, crude, self-congratulatory load of utter tosh.

• Mock the Week is a shame on humanity.

• @micra said:

In stark contrast, I switched over briefly last night to Mock the Week. A puerile, crude, self-congratulatory load of utter tosh.

A thousand thumbs up