Skip to content

Match day thread: Wimbledon

Comments

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    And the main reason that he didn't have as much impact as normal today was that we persisted with high long balls (as we always seem to against AFCW, strangely as they seem to always have absolute units at the back no matter who's in charge) rather than playing it into feet. Same happened against Ipswich, when he came in from the same criticism from people who don't know what they're talking about.

“the main reason that he didn’t have as much impact as normal today was”

…because our final ball for 90 mins was absolutely fecking horrific to be frank!

• @Wanderers82 said:
    how bad is Suley??

check his mins on pitch ratio to assists and I think you will find out the answer is ‘not bad’. Plus, the guy has hardly started a home match yet.

• Hate to be a pessimist but I think there is an argument that our penalty should never have been a penalty.

To me it looks like the initial contact started well outside the box. So in that sense Kaikai did well to drag out out a little!

• @drcongo said:
    The most frustrating thing about watching Wycombe is how hopeful most of our attacking and passing looks. When we get the ball, we loop it high and in the general direction of the forwards every time, relying on luck that something might come of it. Every time Wimbledon attacked it looked deliberate, planned, and well executed, every time we attacked it looked like an accident. It boggles my mind that nobody other than Mehmeti ever runs directly at the defence, something that Anis managed a couple of times to good effect, and Wimbledon did all game to even better effect. I agree with @Gordon_Ottershaw, that has to be viewed as an extremely lucky point, Wimbledon were much better than us. Very much disagree with @ReturnToSenda, I thought we were just absurdly lucky in the second half rather than great - it was rare that we had possession for more than 2 passes.

Several Gasroomers have recently been saying that any game now we're going to give someone a pasting, but I don't think you can have that much luck in one game. If we are ever going to give someone a pasting our attacking needs to be deliberate. The first few games of the season when McCleary and Horgan were pulling all the strings we looked far more deliberate in our attacks.

On the plus side though, fabulous appearance from Bayo and Horgan looked back to his early season form when he came on. Hopefully we can get back to that early season stuff that was such a joy to watch.

“It boggles my mind that nobody other than Mehmeti ever runs directly at the defence”

Mmmm …. McCleary? Hanlan? I’ve not known a Wycombe side to EVER have 3 players regularly in a lineup that in the final 3rd instantly look up, stand up their man and head for the box.

• Well.. we deserved a draw but didn't deserve a win in my opinion. I genuinely think if we could cross we'd be 10 points clear at the top by now, it frustrates the shit out of me ! Just my personal thoughts but Grimmer and Jase were a bit poor on the right, and I'm possibly the only one still not convinced by Obita. We really miss Scowen. Stocko kept us in the game first half. McCarthys was not a penalty, was stood right in front of it, and we'd have gone mad if that was given against us ! Thompson was lucky to stay on the pitch for that handball, and again we'd have gone mad if against us. God bless Bayo, did really well today and a great finish, Horgan really impressed after coming on and I still believe he should be starting games. Anyone not rating Vokes I think probably doesn't know anything about football.

Another plus Mark today, Al Hamadi getting on the subs bench pleased the thousand plus Iraqi's on Facebook, nd stopped them abusing us

• To be a pessimist I think you have to expect our next penalty not to be one. I think wet blanket was the phrase you were looking for @thecatwwfc

• Not sure quite why the fuss with the Thompson handball, yes it was strange he avoided a booking (I assume the ref saw the handball, but not who did it?), but it was never a sending off offence. Went up for a header with his arm raised and it hit his hand. He wasn't stopping a goalscoring opportunity in any way.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Hate to be a pessimist but I think there is an argument that our penalty should never have been a penalty.

To me it looks like the initial contact started well outside the box. So in that sense Kaikai did well to drag out out a little!

That's irrelevant - the contact carried on into the box. It was an absolute rugby tackle as well.

• Just read through the thread (hence my replies above ??)… think a lot of people need to relax a bit. We weren’t that bad, but unlike other sides Wimbledon didn’t roll over for the 1st 20mins. They were sharper and brighter from the off and the early goal was no surprise. We caused plenty of problems after our slow start but delivery and cutting edge was poor today by this seasons standards, but these things happen. People saying Wimbledon were great I think need to give their head a wobble. They did very well and I think are a similar side to us but they were looking like falling short as the game went on, so no surprise we scored 2 late goals. I actually thought Tafazolli played very well overall today having not played in a fortnight and against a physical opponent. Maybe I’m missing something here but tell me exactly how many times he was out jumped, out thought by Palmer? Those saying Palmer was so good just generally come across as Vokes boo boys to me. The glancing header that Vokes was not far off putting in the top left in the first half was an absolute cut above this level, and if you think Palmer had that in his locker then feel free to provide a link to evidence this. To go back to my reply to @ReturnToSenda ’s comment earlier, just imagine if the service to him was better. Yes, I appreciate he also missed a sitter, but guess what - as a striker that shit happens sometimes. 2-2, completely fair score line to me.

• edited December 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • First draw at AP since early Feb

• A good point for us in the end as Wimbledon were a very well organised side and pressed all over the pitch. They also had a few really decent young lads in their side.
    Bayo was excellent when he came on and what a finish. I thought Mehmeti was off the pace today but he is young and you have to expect that at times. Also some great saves from Stocko - what a keeper he is.

With Stewart, Scowen and Wheeler missing we did struggle for cohesion at times but the lads never say die attitude came through in the end.

Pete and Rob get your chequebook out next month and allow us to step up again with both a CB signing and a midfield addition. We have an excellent team but if we can get two class signings in Jan then that will allow us to step up again and push for that automatic promotion.

• @username123 said:
    “It boggles my mind that nobody other than Mehmeti ever runs directly at the defence”

Mmmm …. McCleary? Hanlan? I’ve not known a Wycombe side to EVER have 3 players regularly in a lineup that in the final 3rd instantly look up, stand up their man and head for the box.

I could have phrased that better, those two definitely do it out wide, but rarely down the middle. Most of Wimbledon's attacks seemed to involve running at us from their own half, often through the middle of the park, but usually using the full width of the pitch too - lots of players running forward and it gave our defence a torrid time.

• @drcongo said:

@username123 said:

I could have phrased that better, those two definitely do it out wide, but rarely down the middle. Most of Wimbledon's attacks seemed to involve running at us from their own half, often through the middle of the park, but usually using the full width of the pitch too - lots of players running forward and it gave our defence a torrid time.

Yes fair enough mate ?

• Some stats from today:
    1st half dangerous attacks: 38-12
    1st half shots: 8-5
    Corners: 3-1

Total dangerous attacks:78-26
    Shots: 20-14
    Corners: 9-4

If we were 'lucky to get a point' with those numbers it would be interesting to see what merits a 'fully deserved victory.'

• @LX1 said:
    Some stats from today:

If we were 'lucky to get a point' with those numbers it would be interesting to see what merits a 'fully deserved victory.'

Does the late foul on Vokes in the first half count as a dangerous attack?

• edited December 2021

@LX1 said:
    Some stats from today:

Where is this from? 'Dangerous attack' is bookie terminology and quite subjective, but we did batter them 2nd half!

• Penalty aside, 9 big chances in the last 2 games and we've missed 8 of them.

• I thought we weren’t great and we weren’t terrible. Wimbledon looked good counterattacking because the early goal meant they had a lot of space to counterattack into. Our spirit was admirable and the draw a fair result.

• They also had a lot of space to counterattack because we played with one man in midfield

• @username123 said:
    Just read through the thread (hence my replies above ??)… think a lot of people need to relax a bit. We weren’t that bad, but unlike other sides Wimbledon didn’t roll over for the 1st 20mins. They were sharper and brighter from the off and the early goal was no surprise. We caused plenty of problems after our slow start but delivery and cutting edge was poor today by this seasons standards, but these things happen. People saying Wimbledon were great I think need to give their head a wobble. They did very well and I think are a similar side to us but they were looking like falling short as the game went on, so no surprise we scored 2 late goals. I actually thought Tafazolli played very well overall today having not played in a fortnight and against a physical opponent. Maybe I’m missing something here but tell me exactly how many times he was out jumped, out thought by Palmer? Those saying Palmer was so good just generally come across as Vokes boo boys to me. The glancing header that Vokes was not far off putting in the top left in the first half was an absolute cut above this level, and if you think Palmer had that in his locker then feel free to provide a link to evidence this. To go back to my reply to @ReturnToSenda ’s comment earlier, just imagine if the service to him was better. Yes, I appreciate he also missed a sitter, but guess what - as a striker that shit happens sometimes. 2-2, completely fair score line to me.

I don’t know why, but the phrase ‘give your head a wobble’ just makes me really cross.

Same as people calling other people ‘melts’.

• Got to say I enjoyed the early leavers rushing back after we got the pen. When will they learn?

• @PrinceOfCrowell said:

@username123 said:
    Just read through the thread (hence my replies above ??)… think a lot of people need to relax a bit. We weren’t that bad, but unlike other sides Wimbledon didn’t roll over for the 1st 20mins. They were sharper and brighter from the off and the early goal was no surprise. We caused plenty of problems after our slow start but delivery and cutting edge was poor today by this seasons standards, but these things happen. People saying Wimbledon were great I think need to give their head a wobble. They did very well and I think are a similar side to us but they were looking like falling short as the game went on, so no surprise we scored 2 late goals. I actually thought Tafazolli played very well overall today having not played in a fortnight and against a physical opponent. Maybe I’m missing something here but tell me exactly how many times he was out jumped, out thought by Palmer? Those saying Palmer was so good just generally come across as Vokes boo boys to me. The glancing header that Vokes was not far off putting in the top left in the first half was an absolute cut above this level, and if you think Palmer had that in his locker then feel free to provide a link to evidence this. To go back to my reply to @ReturnToSenda ’s comment earlier, just imagine if the service to him was better. Yes, I appreciate he also missed a sitter, but guess what - as a striker that shit happens sometimes. 2-2, completely fair score line to me.

I don’t know why, but the phrase ‘give your head a wobble’ just makes me really cross.

Same as people calling other people ‘melts’.

Really cross? Good heavens. I could just be far more rude and to the point next time but there’s not really any need for it.

• Note to GA: Vokes and Bayo cannot be on the pitch together, it doesn't work.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Got to say I enjoyed the early leavers rushing back after we got the pen. When will they learn?

I was the same when I was young. Nowadays I get a few in November, ready for writing my Christmas cards

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Hate to be a pessimist but I think there is an argument that our penalty should never have been a penalty.

100% a penalty..had a good view and was being pulled back on his arm.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    A good point for us in the end as Wimbledon were a very well organised side and pressed all over the pitch. They also had a few really decent young lads in their side.
    Bayo was excellent when he came on and what a finish. I thought Mehmeti was off the pace today but he is young and you have to expect that at times. Also some great saves from Stocko - what a keeper he is.

With Stewart, Scowen and Wheeler missing we did struggle for cohesion at times but the lads never say die attitude came through in the end.

Pete and Rob get your chequebook out next month and allow us to step up again with both a CB signing and a midfield addition. We have an excellent team but if we can get two class signings in Jan then that will allow us to step up again and push for that automatic promotion.

With the breakthrough of fortino and a new contract I can't see us rushing out to buy another centre half.

• @Aylesburyblue said:

@thecatwwfc said:

He rugby tackled him!

As clear a penalty as you are likely to see

Didn't think McCarthy's was a penalty btw. Looked to me that he got ahead of the defender, was expecting contact and went down in anticipation of contact that never came. His reaction suggested as much as well

• @eric_plant said:

@Aylesburyblue said:

@thecatwwfc said:

He rugby tackled him!

As clear a penalty as you are likely to see

Didn't think McCarthy's was a penalty btw. Looked to me that he got ahead of the defender, was expecting contact and went down in anticipation of contact that never came. His reaction suggested as much as well

Would like to see the Mccarthy incident again but like you said I think he was waiting for contact .

• I didn't think McCarthys was a penalty, and I was right in front of it. Sulleys was nailed on