Skip to content

Match day thread: Wimbledon

Comments

• I love the Wimbledon story but I can’t stand their fans bunch of tossers

• Luck or mastermind, you have to say today's substitutions saved us a point. All 3 playing a part.

• @floyd said:
    The defender took Jason out and didn’t win the ball.

Almost forgot this in my summary, but while he was awaiting the contact, he was bundled from behind, without the defender touching the ball. Having been in a great position to shoot.
    Looked a pen to me, and most of the ground!

• How many left early ?

• edited December 2021

@Gordon_Ottershaw said:
    How many left early ?

Usual "got to get home quick" gang.
    Who must surely miss 10 goals a season.

• Can't be too surprised that Kaikai looked a bit off the pace - he's barely played!

• Looked a pen on Macca all day...cleaned out while getting the ball under control. There is no excuse for the performance though...that starting team should have been on it. The Dons shaded us all.over the place and their keeper was very good.

• I'm sure the news about Forino's contract is totally unrelated to today's defending!

• Poor old Curtis Thompson. The only person who's going to be asked to do more work than that this month in Father Christmas.

Absolutely delighted to be behind the goal for that Bayo goal. It was a thing of real beauty.

Lastly, I thought Horgan was magnificent when he came on. Must have earned himself a start next week

• A draw was a fair result. Wimbledon pressed us brilliantly in the first half and were, frankly, more up for it than we were. No one played well for us in the first half except Stocko, who kept us in the game. Thought Horgan and Bayo were brilliant when they came on - both made such an impact in different ways. Exquisitely delicate lob from Bayo for the equaliser and his skill to trap the ball and bamboozle their player down the left hand side was fantastic. Fair play to Wimbledon, after we equalised they still went after the game and it was a great away performance. Palmer is a very good (if old fashioned in style) number nine. Compare his performance to Vokes today and there is no comparison. We have bought a player who is well past his sell by date and who should not be an automatic starter. I agree very much with @aloysius in his comment about Wheeler. Had he been available to bring on, I think we may have won it. I don’t agree about his comment about Hanlon alongside Vokes though. Hanlon at least gives us pace, whereas Vokes gives us nothing. superb pen from JJ when it mattered most. Balls of steel to take that and score.
    Stocko MoM by a country mile.

• "Vokes gives us nothing" ?

• I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't appreciate having a striker of that calibre playing for Wycombe. Today was not his best game, but to suggest he's past it is nonsense of the highest order.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    "Vokes gives us nothing" ?

Well, apart from a lot of running off the ball, ariel threat, a few goals & even defending at times. As has been quoted often in the past, "what did the Romans ever do for us?"

• edited December 2021

And the main reason that he didn't have as much impact as normal today was that we persisted with high long balls (as we always seem to against AFCW, strangely as they seem to always have absolute units at the back no matter who's in charge) rather than playing it into feet. Same happened against Ipswich, when he came in from the same criticism from people who don't know what they're talking about.

• It seems genuinely baffling that people don't recognise what Vokes brings.

Probably part of that insistence that some footy fans have of needing to be absolute in everything.
    Best ever, worst ever, brilliant (when they do well), offer nothing(when a quieter game).

• To be honest we were in trouble today as soon as someone said we should be giving these a pasting.

• Thought Vokes had as good a game as he could with those tactics. Played some fantastic passes.

• edited December 2021

@floyd said:
    To be honest we were in trouble today as soon as someone said we should be giving these a pasting.

Not me for once! I only predicted an Anis hat-trick (he had one shot).

• Who on earth thought we'd batter Wimbledon? We never do, and certainly are up there with our bogey teams along with Coventry.

• Wow! I thought Vokes was causing them a lot of bother myself. Not many - even our favourites - did very well today but I do not think anyone in our present squad 'offers nothing'. Bizarre. Having said that...performance aside who does not enjoy games like that? Lost voice...exhilaration at the end. We are never out of it...which has to be a good thing!

• Once Wimbledon scored they dropped deep to defend…that meant their box was packed with red shirts pretty much whenever we put a cross in…going one down to a lowly team inside 5 minutes at home changes the dynamic of the game, Vokes played well today

• @floyd said:
    To be honest we were in trouble today as soon as someone said we should be giving these a pasting.

At this point, our only hope of ever thrashing a team is for the Gasroom to chant "we have no chance" in unison.

• Generally the notion of a bogey team goes out the window when a team changes manager, but it is in Wimbledon's DNA to be absolute bastards - and we don't seem to cope when the boot is on the other foot in terms of shithousery.

• @EwanHoosaami ’what did the Romans ever give us?’ Lol - very good indeed. ????
    Football - it’s all about opinions. I fully admit that ‘nothing’ is too strong upon reflection, and that a striker’s role is of course about more than just goals. But I find him a frustrating player to watch. He is a quality striker who should be ripping up League One! Six goals doesn’t reflect that* but perhaps I’m looking at it from too much of a financial (wages) perspective? *Also fully agree with the comments that our tactics and formation do not play to his strengths. We are not making the most of the investment, which is in itself a little puzzling.
    Big picture: we played below our standard today and still nicked a point against a well drilled team, and that bodes well for the rest of the season.?

• edited December 2021

Fair play for admitting your Vokes comment was ever so slightly over the top @theoldman :wink:

• Just watched the highlights and Bayo's goal looks even better than it did from behind. Wow. As for Taf's indecision then over-calmness before their second... No more of that, please.

• Hahaha - fair play @Malone ??

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Just watched the highlights and Bayo's goal looks even better than it did from behind. Wow. As for Taf's indecision then over-calmness before their second... No more of that, please.

Would have to rewatch their 2nd, but at the time it seemed needless to let that cross come in.

• That developed into a really good game today. A point was a fair result in the end. We were really off our game 1st half and only slightly better in the 2nd. The introduction of Bayo and Horgan changed the game. Wonderful goal by Bayo and we looked like we'd go on and win it at that stage.

Several below par individual performances, but McCleary came good in the 2nd half and the we looked much more potent in attack after the subs. Lots of chances created at both ends, not sure about the comments saying Wimbledon were much better than us. They played well and looked a threat on the break, but they were also hanging on and very much under the cosh at times. They always cause us problems, so personally I'm happy with the draw.

• Vokes was unlucky not to score today and got absolutely chopped by their miniscule winger, looked like he might have been struggling a bit