Skip to content

Match day thread: Wimbledon

Comments

• Their kids have come out flying and Palmer is causing problems, need to get a grip here.

• They are certainly full of running

• Curtis having a lot to do here, neither Anis or GMac comfortable too deep

• Great play from Anis but no excuse to not score there

• Love Nick Freeman on commentary. And good to hear that he’s now jogging on the treadmill. Well, not now as in whilst commentating! Out on the grass soon. All good.

• Why don’t we take shots like that?

• Seen a real trend this season of linesman just not making any kind of decision for throw-ins / free kicks / corners etc. Not one to defend the man in the middle but must be exhausting

• We also need to get smarter. Too many little pushes that are easy for the ref to give, disrupting any kind of momentum

• Grimmer and mecca playing awful

• As expected, they are a bunch of shits. But if we can dish it out then we've got to be able to take it. And we're not taking advantage of the countless set-piece opportunities they're handing us. Poor.

• Wimbledon seem to be able to outnumber us in midfield and have 8 men in the box when we’re attacking. We need to be a bit more patient.

• From my view Grimmer has been solid, though McCarthy is slightly over committing going forward and leaving Grimmer & Thompson a lot to do in covering their wide left players

• we have looked absolutely clueless, our delivery has been terrible, worst we have played so far. get Macca off at HT

• @Wanderers82 said:
    we have looked absolutely clueless, our delivery has been terrible, worst we have played so far. get Macca off at HT

For who?

• Ooh, v lucky there in the end, disappointing. We're not miles away from this but they could easily have been out of sight without Stockdale. I'd change shape a bit but a few degrees more accurate on a couple of passes and we could be up.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    we have looked absolutely clueless, our delivery has been terrible, worst we have played so far. get Macca off at HT

Not a bit of it, we look good moving the ball through the middle third, but we do look rushed in front of goal and vulnerable without the ball.

• Let's hope it's the kind of turnaround we saw against Morecambe.

• forino in the middle and get Grimmer out there, can't be any worse than mecca, he looks devoid of confidence, his crossing and his weight or passing is poor

• Muskwe getting a bit of stick from frantic commentator on Three Counties.

• Feeli like I've seen this performance every time we play Wimbledon. They're full of running, press everything and we're struggling to handle them. Thar said, some of our crossing has been woeful, we've got in good positions, but cross after cross has been overhit. Big 2nd half needed.

• Today really illustrates why I think we're getting the formation slightly wrong. Playing two front men is leaving us so exposed in the midfield - we're losing so many battles because we're relying on Curtis to do too much. It means we're not able to get the ball on the ground to Mehmeti and McCleary enough which is neutralising them, and means we're relying too heavily on wing backs whose crossing is the weakest part of their game.

Also, I'm a big fan of Vokes, but when you pay as much as we are for the quality he brings, you do start to have to question why he fluffs so many great chances.

• McCleary hasn't had the best of games so far by his extraordinarily high standards and whilst Mehmeti has had a couple of good touches he has struggled to get into the game as we are putting too much emphasis on getting it down the line for crosses (mostly poor so far) into the box.

We really just need to be a little more composed on the ball and we can get something out of this game, provided we dont switch of in the first 10 minutes after half time as we have done the last few games.

P.S. Stocko has made a couple of fantastic saves to keep us in the game

• Have we got a crossing coach ?

• Nice to see some posters back when we're losing. Full of the Christmas spirit.

• This has been diabolical to watch...

• Still in it.

• No it hasn't

It isnt the prettiest of football from either side and it is a bit bluster and thunder from both sides but I have enjoyed it so far

• Lovely touch to bring the NHS staff on at half-time. Hopefully makes a few of those selfish individuals yet to get vaccinated do the right thing.

• After their efforts and very late night against Accrington perhaps the Womble youngsters will need their afternoon nap during the second half. Sounds a bit like the Burton game with us unable to penetrate a crowded box. Perhaps we need to sit back a bit?

• We need to dispenses with this back 5 now. It worked well when McCarthy was playing so well last season but his attacking confidence looks shot to pieces, and he is overcommitting time and again with zero end product.

Horgan on for McCarthy. Back 4. Horgan in with Thompson. Mehmeti and McCleary further forward along with Hanlan behind Vokes.

But I fully expect no tactical changes, then Bayo on with 20 minutes to go and cue hoof ball