Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton

Comments

• good 3 points in the bag. What I find surreal is back in the 80s when we lost to the Met Police were humiliated by the then all conquering Barnet on that icey pitch we would have thought someone needed sectioning if they had said i 2021 we would be in a league above Sheffield Wednesday. Sunderland and Ipswich.

• edited December 2021

Ok, their goal is bizarre. The shot has completely done Stocko and I can't work out how. But we certainly seemed to have half-stopped, expecting a whistle/flag, which is still a concerning habit of ours.

• Just got in.... Good three points and sitting nicely in the league. Thought JJ was class, he was cleaning up everything. Hanlan was on fire first half, needs some shooting practice but excellent all the same. Thommo excellent, obit a and Macca really good down the flanks. Before tonight I was luke warm on Vokes, but tonight I saw him winning ball after ball and what he does off the ball was excellent. First half was the best I've seen, total domination, second half though was poor in comparison. They were a weak team and we let them come at us. I understand the pressing game is a challenge for 90 minutes but that's why you have subs, use them. Overall a good night after a long break (I missed the Bolton game) and looking forward to Saturday. Good effort boys, a good there points. COYB!

• Can't understand why the highlight don't include the Bayo header? I'm thinking Stocko must be completely unsighted for their goal as he just stands there, as the ball goes by about a foot away, and waves a hand at it. Bizarre.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Anyone still got their vision? These LEDs are retina-scorching.

Way too bright for me…I wonder how the lino can spot the offsides against that background.

• I forgot to mention Forino, very good with a potential touch of the Mawson about him....? Do agree with the comments about the ice, seemed everytime he landed his legs were Bambi-esque. Good to have some options at the back. COYB!

• If final position does all come down to goal difference it will be very disappointing but at the moment three points is three points whether it is 2-1 or 5-0. I think their goal gave us a bit of a wobble for ten minutes. I actually thought we got it together again when Wheeler came on. Another good game.

• Funny night. At times it felt like a friendly. We attacked at will in the first half. McCarthy getting into great positions time and time again to show off both elements of his crossing, Anis and Gmac enjoying themselves constantly and the front two preparing for chances at will.
    Then they made the change at half time, put more energy into the midfield, pushed their full backs up, and we wobbled.
    On another day Scowen would have been the anchor in the midfield, players would have scored chances, the two first choice centre halves would have been a tad more assured a back. No offence to Forino he did really well but is that his 3rd professional game? In that context he did fantastically but he was shattered at the end and I am sure running on adrenaline.
    Against a better side we would have come unstuck. As it was a great first half to win the game, a forgettable second half, 3 points is probably all we will remember.

Note to referee. A booking is a booking. It doesn't matter if the player has already been booked. Don't like to see young players sent off but he was a car crash waiting to happen and it's up to their manager to sort that out not the official.

• The lad’s just 18 so maybe the ref really was showing a bit of “human understanding”. Maybe he genuinely didn’t see the second foul as worthy of another yellow. Either way, he unwittingly did Burton a favour.

Our second half disjointed performance was as unexpected and frustrating as the first half was unexpectedly one-sided and exciting - especially to someone who’d predicted a 3-1 victory!

There seemed to be a couple of fouls by Burton just outside our box before their strange consolation goal.

• Initially, I thought the co-commentator was Derek Payne with all the ‘them’s and ‘was’s but @bluntphil referred to him as Brian. He overwhelmed the commentary to such an extent that I can barely recall Phil’s contribution. There wasn’t the usual empathy. But his repeated comments from 15-20 minutes in about the need to capitalise on such superiority very nearly proved prescient.

• It was Brian Jeeves. I think he's excellent

• Glad to hear it @eric_plant !

• Anyone one sounding less like a Jeeves is hard to imagine.

• Anyone one is worse.

• @eric_plant said:
    It was Brian Jeeves. I think he's excellent

Agreed. Probably my favourite co-commentator.

• Give me Alicia any day. In a manner of speaking.

• Top five (not in any particular order)
    Bill Turnbull, Alicia Povey, Alan Parry, Brian Jeeves, Marcus Bean

• And bottom five @Chris ?

• @Chris - definitely agree with you

• @arnos_grove said:

@eric_plant said:
    It was Brian Jeeves. I think he's excellent

Agreed. Probably my favourite co-commentator.

Agreed. Always has something to say, reads the game well, is eloquent, knows when to provide analysis and when to shut up, provides a level of impartiality I like to hear in commentary which you simply don't get with anyone else as they're all associated with the club. Give me Brian or Alan Parry any day, with occasional cameos from players for the insights from the dressing room that Phil gets from them. Call me old fashioned but I don't think the role of a club press officer is to provide commentary for football matches.

• I like the dispassionate element, myself. You know Phil is a fan, but he's pretty measured and amusingly self-aware. I like him teamed with somebody who provides a bit of external perspective, like Brian, or even Sam Avery, who did a good job as commentator during Phil's temporary ban last season for having a half-and-half scarf.

• Lots of valid points there @aloysius. I must place too much emphasis on voice aesthetics. Can’t help it. Distracts me from the message.

• @micra said:
    The lad’s just 18 so maybe the ref really was showing a bit of “human understanding”. Maybe he genuinely didn’t see the second foul as worthy of another yellow. Either way, he unwittingly did Burton a favour.

Our second half disjointed performance was as unexpected and frustrating as the first half was unexpectedly one-sided and exciting - especially to someone who’d predicted a 3-1 victory!

There seemed to be a couple of fouls by Burton just outside our box before their strange consolation goal.

Not familiar with the law that says he’s young give him a break. The second foul is worthy of a booking regardless. Poor refereeing. If it’s a friendly he has a word with the bench and says take him off. It’s not. He walks.

• Have we ever had Henning Wehn on the comms?

• @micra said:
    Give me Alicia any day. In a manner of speaking.

Wasn't sure at first, but I think she's really grown into both this, and the "our house" stuff.
    The other young lad was decent, but just a little too hyper, as probably befits a children's tv guy.

Alan Parry is clearly top notch to have on there though. He is a pro after all!

• Alan was excellent when he stepped in last year, but no-one expected any less. The real disappointment for me is when one of the Radio Locals rocks up, pretending to know all about us because they read their cheat sheet over breakfast that day (I'm thinking of the Jeff Doyles and Luke Ashmeads of this world, who exist for only one of the supposed three counties). I'm just glad I don't get to listen to them much. If I didn't go to games so often, though, I would be happy listening to the Phil Catchpole Comedy Show all day and all night, the guy just has a knack for the understated one-liner. As Brian said last night, "he's here all week!" (Did someone say he does a half-decent podcast too?)

• The commentary could always do with an injection of youth, but I think we have a nice variety.

• Phil must be cringing when he has to play second fiddle to the ‘lead’ 3CR commentator on Wycombe matches (usually when there is no Watford or Luton game). Not only does the bloke know sweet fa about our club, even for the neutral he is a poor commentator full stop. My understanding is that BBC commentators are something of an old boys club which explains why new talent rarely breaks through.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Alan was excellent when he stepped in last year, but no-one expected any less. The real disappointment for me is when one of the Radio Locals rocks up, pretending to know all about us because they read their cheat sheet over breakfast that day (I'm thinking of the Jeff Doyles and Luke Ashmeads of this world, who exist for only one of the supposed three counties). I'm just glad I don't get to listen to them much. If I didn't go to games so often, though, I would be happy listening to the Phil Catchpole Comedy Show all day and all night, the guy just has a knack for the understated one-liner. As Brian said last night, "he's here all week!" (Did someone say he does a half-decent podcast too?)

Fully agree. Dread it when we play Franchise or Luton, becuase we'll only get half of Phil and have to put up with one of those two. Sam Avery was good in the lead commentator role when he stepped in.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    The commentary could always do with an injection of youth, but I think we have a nice variety.

I mean alongside @bluntphil, who should obviously stay forever!