Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• @Wendoverman said:
    Cook sacked at Ipswich

The pies were awful when I went to be fair

• @HCblue said:
    Peterborough four points better off and five goals worse than us at equivalent stage last season.

They will eventually have to go up against our sparkling finishing kick!!!

• edited December 2021

@Shev said:

@HCblue said:
    Peterborough four points better off and five goals worse than us at equivalent stage last season.

They will eventually have to go up against our sparkling finishing kick!!!

28 points needed from 25 games not to stink out the Championship.

• Town's American owners understandably intolerant of underperformance in the world's most prestigious cup competition, given the club's proud history in it.

• Amazing highlights from Harrogate’s victory at Portsmouth. Looked like quite a game...

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Amazing highlights from Harrogate’s victory at Portsmouth. Looked like quite a game...

Indeed. The Wimbledon game looked fun too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/fa-cup/video

• They always look a joy to watch, Harrogate, don't they? As others have said, I'm really pleased for Alex Pattison, that it's going so well there

• Had the chance to tick-off the 21st century version of Plough Lane yesterday and was treated to a wonderful game of football between AFC Wimbledon and Cheltenham Town.

Both sides were at full strength and it made for an enthralling end-to-end cup tie. Given the Dons visit Adams Park next weekend, it was opportunity to do a little scouting and they will certainly give us a game. Alex Woodyard (wears the No. 4) put in one of the best midfield displays I've seen in a while. Diminutive and youthful, he was constantly on the move, possessed a delightful first touch, regularly won back possession and pulled the strings for the hosts.

He would have been Man of the Match had it not been for Ayoub Assal, who was simply sensational. Bagged a brace and was unlucky not to claim the match-ball. He tormented the Robins down their left with his lightning pace, deft touch and strength. He will be playing in Premier League without a shadow of a doubt. He could give JJ and Jordan Obita a torrid afternoon.

Cheltenham Town will feel they should have earned a replay despite trailing 4-1 midway through the second half. Matty Blair absolutely leathered his shot towards goal with just seconds of normal time remaining but goalkeeper Nik Tzanev made a great save. It was the best game I've seen so far this season and the magic of the F.A. Cup was certainly alive and kicking here.

Alas the new Plough Lane is about as far removed from its predecessor as it's possible to get. It feels like it could be dismantled and packed away in a matter of hours. It also has the feel of an afterthought, hidden as it is in amongst towering apartment blocks. The far end resembles the cinema end of Wealdstone's former Lower Mead home.

Despite being rather disappointing, it is at least close to the pitch and the corners are filled in, which helps with the atmosphere and the frigid temperatures experienced yesterday. The DJ also played the most bizarre, eclectic mix of music I've heard in a long time.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Amazing highlights from Harrogate’s victory at Portsmouth. Looked like quite a game...

Just watched that, thanks…those Harrogate boys sure know how to tackle!

• @Forest_Blue said:

@LeedsBlue said:

Just watched that, thanks…those Harrogate boys sure know how to tackle!

Is that on Quest? Would love a look.

• All on the BBC, @micra. Link above, in my last post.

• Many thanks @HCblue.

• Vrancic up to his antics for Stoke v QPR.

• Harrogate have become a team I really hope do well after Pattison moved there, though it still rankles that Simon Weaver is artificially the longest serving league manager. I did read their fans saying they are buggered if he and his dad (the owner) ever take off, though I imagine that is true for a fair amount of clubs, especially quick risers through non-league.

• Seeing as this seems to be a very general 'other football' thread now, to sort of pick up a point from the other week, Borussia Monchengladbach have had 58% possession and nine shots to Freiburg's eight...

...and are 0-6 down at half-time.

• On a general 'other football' tip, looks like a small section of Fleetwood's support disgraced their club at Accrington yesterday, attacking and abusing people in the town centre before the game, abusing and spitting at stewards and wrecking the toilets in the away end. Just when you hope such times are long behind us. Hopefully the decent majority of Fleetwood fans can identify the perpetrators and get them banned.

• Fleetwood only have about 12 fans, so that shouldn't be too difficult.

• I know it never totally disappeared but for me the increase in this sort of stuff, like the fiasco at the Euro final, is down to that long dormant 'I should be able to say and do what I want' feeling some have which has been tapped into by populist nationalist gobshites telling people to 'take their country back'...while strangely having no regard for anyone else around them.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I know it never totally disappeared but for me the increase in this sort of stuff, like the fiasco at the Euro final, is down to that long dormant 'I should be able to say and do what I want' feeling some have which has been tapped into by populist nationalist gobshites telling people to 'take their country back'...while strangely having no regard for anyone else around them.

I think you're spot on there, sadly.

• @glasshalfempty Interesting read on your day out to AFC Wimbledon. Which is the best way to get there by public transport - Earlsfield or Wimbledon by train or Colliers Wood by tube?

• Joey Barton cleared of assault. He still has to go on trial for attacking his missus.

• Not too surprised Harrogate beat Pompey. Amazing team spirit. A few similarities with the Blues. Simon Weaver will not bring in just anyone into the team. They need to fit in and be team players. The Wetherby Road ground is maxxed out. No room to expand. Next to it is Harrogate Hospital with no room to expand!! Its a real 'family' club. 20 years ago Town were in the Unibond Division 1. What a meteoric rise. Am so proud to have supported the Blues for over 60 years and see them rise through the ranks but just as proud to support a team like Town that is just 5 miles down the road. Bring on a Prem team in the draw tonight. Maybe AP will in that match do what he does for Town but despite us all willing him on, couldn't do for the Blues and drive forward, shoot and score the winner!

• @A_Worboys Cheers. I took the Bakerloo Line to Waterloo then an overground train to Earlsfield. Trains are very frequent which is handy. 10-15 minute walk from there. Nice and easy.

• @robin said:
    Joey Barton cleared of assault. He still has to go on trial for attacking his missus.

Are they waiting for cumulative fouls in order to brandish a red card?

• edited December 2021

Well this is absolutely laughable. Bellingham fined for questioning the integrity of a ref who was literally found to have accepted bribes. Idk if anyone saw the game, but the decision for Bayern's winner was an absolute joke.

• edited December 2021

What's more confusing to me is that a REFEREE who has been FOUND GUILTY of MATCH FIXING is still a referee... What happened at the disciplinary hearing, on announcement of the verdict - did he say "sorry about that" and they said "ok then", or something?

• edited December 2021

@LeedsBlue said:
    What's more confusing to me is that a REFEREE who has been FOUND GUILTY of MATCH FIXING is still a referee... What happened at the disciplinary hearing, on announcement of the verdict - did he say "sorry about that" and they said "ok then", or something?

16 years ago as well, so I think we can safely say he's got away with it...

• I think he was a lino in a three with a ref who was taking bungs...and the line is he did not take bungs himself but failed to report that the ref was. Or something.

• edited December 2021

@LeedsBlue said:

Tending to the same conclusion myself, I find myself assuming there was a bit more nuance to it than the headline suggests.

• I hope Gareth is taking note that even the government is trying to work out a Plan B...although I suspect a lot of us won't like it!