Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

Comments

• Hopefully Plymouth have a long, exhausting cup run against unglamorous teams...

• Could have done with unwanted replays for both Plymouth and Wigan but here's hoping they get Middlesborough and Fulham away respectively in R3.

• Ryan Lowe off to Preston apparently

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Ryan Lowe off to Preston apparently

Lol, really? And leave such a "massive club" *tm ?

• Lowe’s family remained in the Liverpool area I understand so not hard to see the attraction.
    As an ex player I wonder if they approached Gareth?

• Lowe appears to be as canny a manager as he was a player (I remember that season when he ran rings round us in an early game for Bury, then got transferred to Wednesday and came back and did the same a few weeks later). I wouldn't be at all surprised at this, or if he made a fist of it.

• Had no idea Ainsworth played for them. Never heard that here at all ..

Despite Plymouth being in the arse end of nowhere and their fans being rabid that's a good job for someone to come into if true. A bit of tightening up the defence and someone who could score and they'd be a very good team.

• Worth listening to this from Gaz on what it would take for him to leave Wycombe. Nothing remotely appealing about Preston at this moment in time.

• Reading their forum, a majority of their fans want Gareth

• I know Luton got better after the reverend left, but they were in better shape than Plymouth are at the moment and I think benefitted from a bit of a club legend effect.

• Their local journo has all but confirmed it now

• edited December 2021

If they really were considering Ainsworth too, that's quite a big red flag (not that I think he'd have gone anyway). Do they actually know what identity they want? ?‍♂️

• edited December 2021

I wonder how much the compensation for Gareth would have been? Surely they will have to pay Plymouth a fair whack.

• I am not sure Gareth would want to go to Preston. I hope though in the unlikely event he did that we would not stand in his way with an excessive compensation demand -I think he has earned better than that.

• It may well be the compensation figure is written in to his contract @DevC , which both parties would have signed, in which case it wouldn't be the club standing in his way?

• I would imagine it's already been agreed. He has about as good a working relationship with a club's owners as I have ever seen a manager have, so I think you can put that hypothetical debate to bed

You've got loads of others

• Surely it's a massive red flag if a club wants you but isn't prepared to pay compo, have no idea what the fee would be but I'd say likely well under £1m based on everything I've seen.
    If they won't pay that for someone who sets the tone at the club then how much would they give him for transfers and put into facilities.

• @StrongestTeam said:

Despite Plymouth being in the arse end of nowhere and their fans being rabid that's a good job for someone to come into if true. A bit of tightening up the defence and someone who could score and they'd be a very good team.

Neil Warnock still owned a house down in Looe just across the Tamar from his Plymouth days. Good interim shout.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Surely it's a massive red flag if a club wants you but isn't prepared to pay compo, have no idea what the fee would be but I'd say likely well under £1m based on everything I've seen.
    If they won't pay that for someone who sets the tone at the club then how much would they give him for transfers and put into facilities.

That too, but if a club approached me and the other person on their shortlist was a coach with a completely contrasting style, I'd ask big questions of their recruitment process.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    Surely it's a massive red flag if a club wants you but isn't prepared to pay compo, have no idea what the fee would be but I'd say likely well under £1m based on everything I've seen.

That too, but if a club approached me and the other person on their shortlist was a coach with a completely contrasting style, I'd ask big questions of their recruitment process.

Long term planning in football is mostly laughable, Managers seem to get picked to be the opposite of what failed or the same as what worked as if you can just carry on anyway. Fair enough if you've spent ages getting good passers in or set out a style, but if that was working you probably wouldn't have needed to sack the manager.

• edited December 2021

It's a good point, and it happens a lot. Clubs miss out on manager A, and then approach manager B who has a completely different footballing philosophy

• Gaz has reaped the rewards of long-term, proper planning at Wycombe and I think it would take one hell of a pitch to sell another club to him.

• Isn't "footballing philosophy" a bit of hype but essentially a load of old bollocks.

If I am a chairman of a club I want to hire myself a manager that I think has the best chance of scoring more goals than the opposition in as many games as possible. Style might be a factor especially if the current squad is set up to play a certain way and I'll factor that in to the guy I think is most likely to get me results but essentially if the guy I am most confident will get results prefers a direct style and the guy I am second most confident prefers a short passing style - that's fine. Its all about winning.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:

Style isn't everything, a reply of "you're the best two candidates available and we'll let you bring your own style" would be fine for 99.9% of people. Went would you care if after you left they abandoned your principles? You'd be gone

• I couldn’t see Dobbo following GA to Preston. I reckon if it was Reading they would go in a flash and good luck to them.

• Why on earth would they go to Reading?!

• @Username said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:

Style isn't everything, a reply of "you're the best two candidates available and we'll let you bring your own style" would be fine for 99.9% of people. Went would you care if after you left they abandoned your principles? You'd be gone

It just doesn't exactly scream coherent vision, which I think Gaz would place an awful lot of importance on.

• @DevC said:
    Isn't "footballing philosophy" a bit of hype but essentially a load of old bollocks.

No.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Why on earth would they go to Reading?!

Billionaire owner might be attractive!