Skip to content

Wycombe's International Matches

Following on from @DevC's recent quiz on furthest competitive matches, and the subsequent discussion on international friendlies, I thought it would be fun to put together a list of matches when one team had to cross a sea to play.

These matches were unusually common in the '70s and '80s, when visiting teams would base themselves at Bisham Abbey, and where Brian Lee was Director and well placed to entice them down to Loakes Park. I wonder if he told them about the slope in advance!

The list is available here, hopefully I have set the public access correctly:
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AvpDh0EZtQ6jyRbC1krJbFS8nAb_?e=SGx6Kw

I would be grateful for any corrections and additions, and any interesting details people might have on any game. The only games I have much recollection of are Chicago Sting in 1975, when I marvelled at their skill and speed of passing, and Guernsey in 1991, when I was one of a small number of fans visiting. I remember being surprised at how good the islanders were, and probably good value for their win, even though we missed many chances. Actually, my main memory of Guernsey was just how built up it was, very few open spaces, just one big development of houses and tomato greenhouses.

I look forward to our first match on the American continent!

Comments

• 1971 or 1911 Guernsey match , Steve?

• Pretty sure the Anglo Italian cup third place game against Chelmsford was played in Cosenza - which must have been odd.

• edited December 2021

Well spotted @DevC, we played Chelmsford in Cosenza, two days after the defeat to Cosenza. We came back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2, Thorne and Kotvics the scorers, and then won 5-3 on penalties. In front of a 10,000 crowd, the final followed this match, Cosenza beating Padua 2-0. I will update the document shortly.

• Slight tangent but related. Having previously ticked off foot bike bus coach tram train and tube as ways of travelling specifically for a football match, I this season have also “achieved” ferry -albeit only a ferry over the Tamar estuary.
    Still haven’t done aircraft though - should have done Gateshead all those years ago.

• @DevC said:
    Slight tangent but related. Having previously ticked off foot bike bus coach tram train and tube as ways of travelling specifically for a football match, I this season have also “achieved” ferry -albeit only a ferry over the Tamar estuary.
    Still haven’t done aircraft though - should have done Gateshead all those years ago.

Gondola very in vogue this season with Venezia in Serie A

• Fond memories of the home and away legs with AC Monza in the Anglo-Italian Cup in 1975. Travelling in Italy with another former RGS boy, with light and dark blue scarves in our rucksacks, we arrived at the main gate to the stadium an hour or so before KO for the first leg. At the same time the Blues' team coach appeared. The players appeared startled to see two travelling fans. It later transpired that one fan had bagged a place on the plane out. Otherwise the crowd was entirely home-based. A very charming John Delaney, team skipper, ordered the driver to stop. We were welcomed on board and so excused an entrance fee and a jolly good time had by all, our lifting the trophy after winning the return leg. I still have the match posters for the away and home legs as treasured mementoes of a special time in the Club's development.

• What a great story @Hannibal. Did you lose contact with the club after that? I’m asking that because I cannot recall hearing from you before and, on the face of it, you must have really had the bug all those years ago. I assume (quite wrongly perhaps) that you became disaffected soon after - just had to change that from disinfected! - as I don’t think you’ve previously pitched in to any of the discussions on here about former players, club history, quizzes etc. Three visits to the Gasroom (if the stats are correct) in nearly five years as a member suggests that your interest is negligible.

Apologies if this comes across as ‘nosey’ or unnecessarily intrusive but I am genuinely fascinated by what makes people tick, especially when it comes to my favourite football club, and being virtually housebound, I’ve plenty of time on my hands for reading, TV, napping, cooking and slowly tapping out comments on a couple of online forums, particularly this one.

• No disaffection. Quite the reverse. Still a STH, Trust member, regular attender, home and where possible away, just a little social media shy. I actively follow and enjoy these boards with keen enthusiasm, but chip in v rarely only when something specific to contribute - and we do not have a match! Not being unfriendly, just reserved. Let us celebrate the broad church of support WWFC still attracts.

• Interesting answer. Many thanks.

• People don't have to come on the gasroom to be totally besotted by the club @micra, I know a few that are registered but hardly post, and also a few that come on every day to catch up but havnt even registered

• It was the three visits in nearly five years that surprised me.

• He/she must have plenty of interesting stuff to share if the 46 year old experience (and the wonderfully written description of it) are anything to go by but, as you imply, they don’t necessarily want to engage.
    Our loss, I think.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    Well spotted @DevC, we played Chelmsford in Cosenza, two days after the defeat to Cosenza. We came back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2, Thorne and Kotvics the scorers, and then won 5-3 on penalties. In front of a 10,000 crowd, the final followed this match, Cosenza beating Padua 2-0. I will update the document shortly.

Chelmsford match added, new version in place.

The late Howard Kennedy wrote the excellent match reports on that tour.

https://ae9ec797-5218-4c64-9688-
    c2958c176a62.filesusr.com/ugd/2d665b_cd8d9a7297e44dceb905898da240521a.pdf

https://ae9ec797-5218-4c64-9688-c2958c176a62.filesusr.com/ugd/2d665b_89747a3f73b44b9c9c7136b21cbf3143.pdf

He also reflects on the tour, including the £7.15 admission charge and the influence of the Mafia!

https://ae9ec797-5218-4c64-9688-c2958c176a62.filesusr.com/ugd/2d665b_9b2274c665584ce6aed5c0f23949b53c.pdf

There is also an interesting piece the following month on the end of season tour to Tunisia, when matches failed to take place, much to Brian Lee's displeasure.

https://ae9ec797-5218-4c64-9688-c2958c176a62.filesusr.com/ugd/2d665b_f939c6a35e724f02ba63d8563e15bf6d.pdf