Well, all of the following are out of contract in the summer:

Stocko
    Stewart
    JJ
    Gape
    Blooms
    Horgan
    Vokes (option for another year)

Apart from Stewart (obviously!), none of the rest feel that compelling to my untutored mind. Blooms as a coach, definitely.

Stockdale is key in my opinion despite his age

How old is Stockdale?

• @mooneyman said:

Good for another two or three years then if he wants to. Sign him up

• Obviously Blooms has already moved into coaching...JJ is still a useful CB and for dead ball situations. All good players I would offer them all another deal if they want to stay. Gape and Horgan might feel they should move for more opportunities though.

• Shows how far we've come if we can be discussing allowing the likes of Stockdale, Gape and Horgan to leave rather than being unanimously desperate to keep them

(I hope all 3 stay as it goes)

• @eric_plant said:
    Shows how far we've come if we can be discussing allowing the likes of Stockdale, Gape and Horgan to leave rather than being unanimously desperate to keep them

Same here

• @eric_plant said:
    Shows how far we've come if we can be discussing allowing the likes of Stockdale, Gape and Horgan to leave rather than being unanimously desperate to keep them

I think @micra is the only poster who has so far suggested there is no "compelling" reason to keep Stockdale.

• Stockdale is a must keep in my opinion. He as made such a difference this season.

• Sometimes it is a relief not to have to make those decisions. Of the present first team squad I cannot think of a player who I would be happy to see go.

• I thought it would be interesting to throw it open to the Gasroom floor. And so it has proved. They have all proved “great servants to the club” as the expression goes. I am broadly neutral on ‘Stocko’, Gape and Horgan but I just don’t share @eric_plant’s desperation to keep them.

• Not sure I conveyed "desperation" old chap

• not sure 'broadly neutral' is ever allowed @micra :smile: but surely you can see that Stocko is a great stabilising force in the back four, and that Horgan and Gape are quality players worth holding onto. You didn't 'get' Wheeler for a long time...

• I would co-sign on chaining Stockdale's ankle to the goalpost at AP before letting him go. So maybe I am a little desperate!

• edited December 2021

Might as well get Alsopp back if you're going to chain Stockdale to the goalpost

• @eric_plant said:
    Might as well get Alsopp back if you're going to chain Stockdale to the goalpost

Ah, touche!

• @eric_plant said:

Did lol

• @eric_plant said:
    Not sure I conveyed "desperation" old chap

“...unanimously desperate to keep them..” does convey a hint of desperation, I think.

All I intended to convey was that I wouldn’t lose any sleep if any of those three were released at the end of the season. I agree that ‘Stocko’ has been a tremendous calming influence on the back three/four and that he has been a clear upgrade compared to his predecessor. But just recently (as indeed when he first arrived at Adams Park) he has shown the odd sign of vulnerability which may or may not be attributable to the passage of time.

There are a few other goalkeepers of similar vintage (Ben Foster at Watford, for instance) still plying their trade in the top three tiers but, equally, most are considerably younger and therefore generally more acrobatic.

My reason for not losing any sleep should Dom Gape depart next summer hinges largely on the fact that, even if he regains full fitness, he would have difficulty regaining his place whilst we still have Scowen, Thompson and, dare I say it, Wheeler in midfield (as well as Oliver Pendlebury, who is still learning but has considerable potential as an attacking midfielder).

Like many others on here I was delighted when we signed Daryl Horgan eighteen months ago and his pace and skill on the ball are terrific but the end product is so often disappointing.

• At the risk of being boring (yeah, yeah) I was making the exact opposite point, noting that it was significant that we weren't unanimously desperate to keep them

• Surprised at you linking Stockdale in with Horgan and Gape there @micra.

I think Stockdale has been superb.
    Whereas Gape has had a bit of a miserable 18months and has a real fight to get in regularly now.
    Plus Horgan despite some promising early season displays hasn't come close to being what we thought we were getting. Possibly our fault for the expectations.

• on the Gape vs Thompson vs Scowen question, I'd say those positions above all are where we need resilience. The style we play asks a hell of a lot of those 2 players and to have one of the three on the bench providing cover and respite for the others should surely be what we're aiming for - indeed was I'm sure what we were aiming for this season. And would be a luxury we've not had in the Ainsworth era.

• Problem is Gape is extremely injury-prone

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    What a trio they were - Scott, Carroll and Guppy. I was very lucky to be able to have witnessed those wonderful days.

Away> @micra said:

@eric_plant said:
    Not sure I conveyed "desperation" old chap

“...unanimously desperate to keep them..” does convey a hint of desperation, I think.

All I intended to convey was that I wouldn’t lose any sleep if any of those three were released at the end of the season. I agree that ‘Stocko’ has been a tremendous calming influence on the back three/four and that he has been a clear upgrade compared to his predecessor. But just recently (as indeed when he first arrived at Adams Park) he has shown the odd sign of vulnerability which may or may not be attributable to the passage of time.

There are a few other goalkeepers of similar vintage (Ben Foster at Watford, for instance) still plying their trade in the top three tiers but, equally, most are considerably younger and therefore generally more acrobatic.

My reason for not losing any sleep should Dom Gape depart next summer hinges largely on the fact that, even if he regains full fitness, he would have difficulty regaining his place whilst we still have Scowen, Thompson and, dare I say it, Wheeler in midfield (as well as Oliver Pendlebury, who is still learning but has considerable potential as an attacking midfielder).

Like many others on here I was delighted when we signed Daryl Horgan eighteen months ago and his pace and skill on the ball are terrific but the end product is so often disappointing.

And there was me thinking, @micra, that you were merely commenting that at your more mature years there's nothing that stops you taking a nap ...

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Problem is Gape is extremely injury-prone

At what point does having a really unlucky run of injuries become being injury prone? I recall Matt Bloomfield missed virtually an entire season some years ago and he played a few games after that. People were questioning whether Taff was injury prone earlier this season.

• @OakwoodExile said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

At what point does having a really unlucky run of injuries become being injury prone? I recall Matt Bloomfield missed virtually an entire season some years ago and he played a few games after that. People were questioning whether Taff was injury prone earlier this season.

I'd say Gape was currently injury prone but to label his whole career as injury prone is just plain wrong.
    But I know nothing

• @OakwoodExile said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I think a player can be injury-prone for a short period within their career is Gape is at the moment - then you have others who might stay fit for months on end but never seem more than a season away from several months out.

• Indeed, I'm not sure it's a particularly helpful term. I seem to recall Anthony Stewart being labelled injury prone and he has gone on to start (and finish) the vast majority of games since the beginning of the 2019/2020 season.

• I could have used a more apposite expression @Twizz than ‘losing sleep’ to convey the sense of not being unduly concerned.

You are spot on about me not having difficulty (in literal terms) dropping off at the drop of a hat or indeed getting a regular (albeit interrupted) 7-8 hours sleep a night!

@our_frank - if I could be confident that Dom Gape will overcome the frequently recurring problems he has, very sadly, experienced over the past eighteen months I would be happy, if not desperate, for him to get a contract extension.

• Whether I’m happy or not might not be a major influence on future contract discussions !!

• @micra said:
    Whether I’m happy or not might not be a major influence on future contract discussions !!

Don't do yourself down. Influencers and all that