Skip to content

Anis signs new contract

Comments

• No better evidence of his talismanic presence than the lift he gave the crowd when he appeared in the warm up and was declared fit to play in the Trophy semi final 2nd leg at Sutton after missing the first leg through injury...

• Might that have had something to do with the crowd having seen Trevor Aylott "play" in the first leg.....

• I might be wrong, but I'm sure I heard someone at work say not long ago that he's managing Flackwell Heath atm ?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    There's a great bit in the official club history about the 1900 B&B Cup final. Match got abandoned when the ball went into the crowd and they refused to give it back. We were also accused of turning up 10 minutes late for kick-off (claimed our train was late) and wasting 15 minutes before the start of extra time. It's in our DNA.

“The Wycombe goal tender spent an inordinate amount of time waxing his moustache, whilst their wing half constantly complained about his cholera”

• “Just before the half time whistle the Wycombe goal minder, on catching the ball on the full, just inside his own half, refused to kick through his hands for what seemed an interminable period. Only when shoulder charged by the on rushing opposition wing half did he proceed to project the ball over the stand behind the opponent’s goal net”.
    NB: keepers could catch the ball anywhere in their own half up to the 1912/13 season much like a ‘mark’ in rugby.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    “Just before the half time whistle the Wycombe goal minder, on catching the ball on the full, just inside his own half, refused to kick through his hands for what seemed an interminable period. Only when shoulder charged by the on rushing opposition wing half did he proceed to project the ball over the stand behind the opponent’s goal net”.
    NB: keepers could catch the ball anywhere in their own half up to the 1912/13 season much like a ‘mark’ in rugby.

Rocky just broke out in a sweat at the thought of being that far off his line...

• edited December 2021

@LeedsBlue said:
    Absolutely loved Scotty back in the day. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sometimes feels like his reputation hasn't survived quite like some of his contemporaries, with occasional jocular references to his high levels of self-confidence, contrasted with his inability subsequently to quite cut it at the top level and his failure to land the 'dream job' here at AP, despite excellent managerial work locally. But let it be said, that's a hell of an impressive goalscoring record.

Don't think you're right with that. He'll forever be loved by those of us of a certain age, and to be honest his best work was just too early for me.
    Cousins, Carroll, Ryan, Guppy and Scott all great players who brought us into the league, but more importantly great characters.
    It's probably only the recent Ainsworth squads that touch the set of great guys we had then.

I can't imagine anyone thinks about a "failure" at the top level, more taking in the incredible feat of actually playing in the top flight.

He was never really going to waltz into managing here I don't think. To be honest I'm glad for his legacy he didn't, as if he'd failed that would have been a cruel blow to the memories.

• Keith Scott was brilliant for Wycombe.

He was the final piece of the puzzle that got us into the league.

He’s the best header of the ball I’ve seen for the Wanderers. The amount of crosses he powered into the top corners was unreal.

• What a trio they were - Scott, Carroll and Guppy. I was very lucky to be able to have witnessed those wonderful days.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    What a trio they were - Scott, Carroll and Guppy. I was very lucky to be able to have witnessed those wonderful days.

Me too

• Bit unfair to miss Mark West out of that list. He was a perfect foil for Scotty.

Struggling to remember but was it his choice not to move into the Football League with us?

• @Malone I agree with all you say about Scotty. I‘ve just sensed the occasional post over the years having a little dig at Scotty in the way that I’ve never seen about Rhino, Carroll, etc. But I’ll be glad to accept I’m wrong and put it down to my extreme sensitivity in the protection of the legacy of those glorious MO’N years (and all who sailed in them).

• I don't think it is the fact, but, but, if the only strategy here is to increase his potential value (or at least highten the asking price)... Then this is also savvy business

• @bookertease said:
    Bit unfair to miss Mark West out of that list. He was a perfect foil for Scotty.

Struggling to remember but was it his choice not to move into the Football League with us?

Westy was getting very few games in our double winning season.

• @bookertease said:
    Bit unfair to miss Mark West out of that list. He was a perfect foil for Scotty.

Agreed it’s unfair to leave Westy off that list. He and Scott were a great partnership. I think he had knee problems and was reluctant to give up his day job to go full time as he was getting towards the end of his playing days.

I absolutely loved watching Carroll play on the right wing and is still probably my favourite all time Wycombe player. As for Guppy - how many times did he get possession of the ball in our penalty area run the length of pitch on the break? The crowd roaring him on as he delivered another deadly cross. Great memories

• I don't know the ins and outs of the MON/Westy relationship when we went into the Football League, but, at the dinner for the Tenth Anniversary of promotion to the FL, MON apologised publicly to Mark for the way he treated him. I wish I could remember the exact words but Westy looked somewhat surprised.

• Whatever happened to Anis’s new contract? Let’s look forward.

• Hopefully they are now working on Stewart's new contract.

• And Gaz's contract for life

• Now we’re talking!

• Anyone else we’d like to be sure of retaining who isn’t currently contracted beyond the summer (or who you think should be rewarded with a better one)?

• Well, all of the following are out of contract in the summer:

Stocko
    Stewart
    JJ
    Gape
    Blooms
    Horgan
    Vokes (option for another year)

• According to Transfermarkt, so are Taf, McCleary and Wheeler, but we extended them "through next year and beyond" early this year, so I'm assuming they're all tied down til at least 2023.

• I assume most of the dev lads are only on one-year deals?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Well, all of the following are out of contract in the summer:

Stocko
    Stewart
    JJ
    Gape
    Blooms
    Horgan

Apart from Stewart (obviously!), none of the rest feel that compelling to my untutored mind. Blooms as a coach, definitely.

• @micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Stocko
    Stewart
    JJ
    Gape
    Blooms
    Horgan

Apart from Stewart (obviously!), none of the rest feel that compelling to my untutored mind. Blooms as a coach, definitely.

We still have seven months before the contracts run out at the end of June and probably five months until we know which division we will be playing in.

I would be disappointed to lose any of those seven, they have given so much to this club that we are now considered a Top League One side when 28 months ago we would have been considered as relegation favourites. Age and injuries may take it's toll on some of those contract negotiations but by heck we've had some good people recently.

• I think there's a role for JJ in either division, although you never know how another year might take its toll on what he's able to do. Blooms has, to all intents and purposes, retired, has he not? Would be hopeful of keeping all the others regardless of division but would be least surprised to see Horgan leave.

• edited December 2021

@micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Stocko
    Stewart
    JJ
    Gape
    Blooms
    Horgan

Stockdale and Vokes are both quality acts in this division and I'm sure will be good players in the league above still. But yes, probably no rush on either, with Vokes having a year's option anyway, and surely no-one is going to rob Stockdale from us. He's clearly not here for the money when he's trousered 30k a week previously elsewhere.

• @micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Stocko
    Stewart
    JJ
    Gape
    Blooms
    Horgan

Stockdale is key in my opinion despite his age

• Keeper of Stocko’s ability will be good till 40 at this level. Another year I’m sure - if he wants it.