Skip to content

Welcome Ali Al-Hamadi

2»

Comments

• edited November 2021

That's a fascinating interview, I loved the quote about how learning physics will be far more useful for his footballing career than playing on a PlayStation. He seems like exactly the sort of recruit Gareth likes - someone whose intelligence, application and level headedness drives him to succeed.

• So he has a Plan B at least!

• As exciting as having a load more fans join the Facebook page from somewhere as exotic as Iraq is I wish some of them could be just a little more patient. Ali looks a great future prospect but they are getting antsy that he’s not already leading the team out as club captain.

• Add to that some added angry faces today about the Anis news, because it meant Ali would be further away from playing.

• I’d be surprised if he doesn’t make the bench before the year’s out. (No quips about furniture assembly skills, please.)

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    As exciting as having a load more fans join the Facebook page from somewhere as exotic as Iraq is I wish some of them could be just a little more patient. Ali looks a great future prospect but they are getting antsy that he’s not already leading the team out as club captain.

I am reminded of foreign striker new signings having their boots blooded by the killing of a goat on the centre spot in Turkey. They take their footie very seriously in the Near East. Much like the apocryphal Bill Shankley quote.

• Not sure that’s the most heartwarming post of the day @perfidious_albion (or particularly relevant to a thread welcoming a new signing who has lived in this country since he was one year old. Broad scouser in fact. We very much look forward to seeing him play.

• It was more a comment re the amount of agitated site traffic the Facebook page is receiving from his fans ‘back home’.

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    As exciting as having a load more fans join the Facebook page from somewhere as exotic as Iraq is I wish some of them could be just a little more patient. Ali looks a great future prospect but they are getting antsy that he’s not already leading the team out as club captain.

I wouldn't worry, a lot of them seem to be repeat messages, generic welcomes or automated. Not sure how soon he expects to be in the first team but he wasn't at all involved at Swansea and nobody else took a punt so he'll know he needs to be patient. @micra spot on above, let's avoid the tacky references.

• If you use Facebook, some agitated Iraqi fans is the least of your concerns.

• @drcongo said:
    If you use Facebook, some agitated Iraqi fans is the least of your concerns.

?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Who was the last Scouser to play for us?

Was peter murphy a scouser?

• edited December 2021

Beat me to it, yes he was.

• Just don't sound right. His name suggests a middle eastern accent and that is what I was waiting for, listened in and I thought at first there had been a dubbing issue!!! Really hope he does the business for us.

• I think he was still a baby (or possibly a toddler) when his father fled from the Middle East and wound up in Liverpool.
    I did read an article on line somewhere recently and it’s a remarkable story but my memory is not what it was.

• Pretty sure you're right @micra. Have vague memories of reading that as well. My expectations & reality are often worlds apart!

• It was great to hear though, wasn’t it.