Skip to content

Anis signs new contract

Comments

• That's made my day. Great great bit of business!!!!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Superb news, so pleased Anis is staying.

• Is he though? Maybe we just tied this up to bump up the price. ?

• Has anyone checked if he smiled during his interview?

• @drcongo said:
    Is he though? Maybe we just tied this up to bump up the price. ?

Didn’t we do that with Keith Scott? Signed him onto a new contract and then flogged him to Reading?

• Wallop! Fantastic news! Now to take League 1 apart for the rest of the season…

• Love that he confidently says we haven’t seen the best of him yet.
    Defenders be afraid. Be very afraid.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@drcongo said:

Didn’t we do that with Keith Scott? Signed him onto a new contract and then flogged him to Reading?

Now that was some classic shithousery. I'm pretty sure the strong rumour was we knew an approach was coming so enhanced his contract to extract a bigger fee.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Love that he confidently says we haven’t seen the best of him yet.
    Defenders be afraid. Be very afraid.

I can't wait. If we really take a step back from these past three games, he has been absolutely on fire. To think of him actually improving in a Wycombe shirt is fantastic!

• Not been too well today so this news has been the best possible tonic.

• Absolutely wonderful news, well done to all at the club. Really looking forward to seeing how Anis will continue to develop.

@micra hope you feel better soon! I think if Anis keeps playing the way he has recently the nickname you coined for him of Mehmessi will certainly take off!

• Hope you’re on the mend @micra,

• @micra said:
    Not been too well today so this news has been the best possible tonic.

All the best to you, @micra. I wish you all encouragement as you go through this.

• @micra said:

I do hope this news speeds recovery.

• edited December 2021

@micra said:

Please accept my best wishes too. Here's to Football Tonics as provided Worldwide by Wycombe Wanderers.

I am glad Anis is with us and trusts the future with us. Watching Norwich last night against 10 man Newcastle it looked as though he is exactly the sort of player Norwich were missing. So excellent work by Wycombe all round over a long period of time.

• Get your feet up and stick the fire on @micra

Hope you're feeling better

• @Twizz said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@drcongo said:

Now that was some classic shithousery. I'm pretty sure the strong rumour was we knew an approach was coming so enhanced his contract to extract a bigger fee.

We know what we are.

Shithouses since 1887

• There's a great bit in the official club history about the 1900 B&B Cup final. Match got abandoned when the ball went into the crowd and they refused to give it back. We were also accused of turning up 10 minutes late for kick-off (claimed our train was late) and wasting 15 minutes before the start of extra time. It's in our DNA.

• it wasn't even a rumour. Lawrie Sanchez told a fans forum as much - he'd got wind that a bid was coming, got Scotty to sign a new 2-year contract one day and so raised the price for Burns and Madejski the next.

Were those the funds we then used to make Devine's loan from Barnet permanent?

• All correct @our_frank

It was a deal that kept us up.

And Scotty turned up in the Vere Suite in his Reading tracksuit after the Lincoln game for the celebrations

• @Brownie said:
    Has anyone checked if he smiled during his interview?

He did towards the end and a charming smile it is. Not part of the prevailing street culture though “init”.

• Thanks for all the good wishes, everyone.
    In some ways being virtually housebound feels like a bit of a blessing, especially this time of year. The Gasroom helps to keep me occupied of course and I’m still head chef and bottle washer! ?

• @micra said:

Hope you're feeling better soon!

• @our_frank said:
    it wasn't even a rumour. Lawrie Sanchez told a fans forum as much - he'd got wind that a bid was coming, got Scotty to sign a new 2-year contract one day and so raised the price for Burns and Madejski the next.

Were those the funds we then used to make Devine's loan from Barnet permanent?

I had in my head that it was announced he’d signed a contract before a game on a Saturday and then announced on the Sunday evening he was a reading player.

I’m sure I have made most of that up after in the years that have gone past since, but remember being shocked at the speed of it.

I’m also shocked at how little number of games he played for us in his first spell 15 games with 10 goals according to wiki before he went to Swindon. Is that really correct?

The 109 goals in 34 loan appearances on his return is clearly incorrect so makes me question the validity of his stats.

• Keith Scott's record for us.

Non-league: 111(2) apps, 60 goals
    League: 90(5) apps, 37 goals

• @Steve_Peart said:
    Keith Scott's record for us.

Non-league: 111(2) apps, 60 goals
    League: 90(5) apps, 37 goals

What an amazing record. Probably saw everyone of those goals. Also saw his winner for Swindon against QPR for their first top flight win

• Absolutely loved Scotty back in the day. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sometimes feels like his reputation hasn't survived quite like some of his contemporaries, with occasional jocular references to his high levels of self-confidence, contrasted with his inability subsequently to quite cut it at the top level and his failure to land the 'dream job' here at AP, despite excellent managerial work locally. But let it be said, that's a hell of an impressive goalscoring record.

• Love Scotty, great player and top bloke. Couldn’t walk past a mirror without stopping to admire himself, but never took offence when he was the subject of light hearted banter.

• Martin O'Neill used to joke about Scotty's "self confidence". He was a major part of our elevation into the Football League - both in terms of his on-pitch performances and his talismatic presence. Premier League was perhaps a little ahead of his abilities as Swindon discovered but an excellent player lower down. There were those that advocated strongly that Scotty should have been appointed over Gareth in Gareth's early days of management on the back of Scotty doing well (with I understand a pretty healthy relative budget) at Windsor. We will never know of course whether Scotty would have done even better but I am pretty happy that we stuck with Gareth!