Skip to content

Sunderland game on the telly!

Comments

• @53cheese said:

@floyd said:

@Shev said:

@floyd said:
    You think 1230 is early, it’s a 630am kick off for @shev and I.

All for the dubious benefit of no Phil Catchpole and the unfamiliar commentators getting facts and pronunciations wrong.

We will get close ups of spitting thanks to Sky cameras, though, so there is that!

I wonder if we'll get the guy who kept calling JJ 'Yakobson.'

Shame we won’t get a repeat of ‘Omyemyimya’

That one was more difficult to say than his actual name!

• That’s how Fred has been known in our house since the Spurs game.

• Still got a chance of Akinfenway though.

• @drcongo said:
    Still got a chance of Akinfenway though.

Oh god...

• @Wendoverman said:
    Completely agree. One of our potential full houses/big earners. Hopefully there are enough southern based Mackems knocking about. (Those who haven't already decided never to come again anyway...)

My wife is a closet Mackem, (her dad hailed from Sunderland, and she went to Uni up there), I went to a London based Sunderland supporters club night with her once.They are a seriously well supported club. If they have a good December I would expect them to sell the majority if not all of their allocation.

• Can’t we just be happy we are selected to be on TV against one of the bigger clubs in our league, hopefully raising our profile a bit further? Totally appreciate it will cause some people difficulties but we are all fully aware when we buy our season tickets that fixtures times can change, it’s kind of part of the deal. It’s not like we are on telly that often is it! Someone mentioned kids football clashing - I’ll tell all the kids I coach to get back home quick from training and watch their local team on the telly for a change and not just Chelsea / Liverpool / Man City etc like normal, or even better to watch their local team live for a change and maybe get themselves on TV. Sorry rant over but I do really feel some people miss the point sometimes. Oh, and I was on Roker Beach stuffing my face by 12.30 when we last went up there, so it is doable for them and they probably get home at a decent hour too (and have less traffic on the way down).

• @username123 said:
    Can’t we just be happy we are selected to be on TV against one of the bigger clubs in our league, hopefully raising our profile a bit further? Totally appreciate it will cause some people difficulties but we are all fully aware when we buy our season tickets that fixtures times can change, it’s kind of part of the deal. It’s not like we are on telly that often is it! Someone mentioned kids football clashing - I’ll tell all the kids I coach to get back home quick from training and watch their local team on the telly for a change and not just Chelsea / Liverpool / Man City etc like normal, or even better to watch their local team live for a change and maybe get themselves on TV. Sorry rant over but I do really feel some people miss the point sometimes. Oh, and I was on Roker Beach stuffing my face by 12.30 when we last went up there, so it is doable for them and they probably get home at a decent hour too (and have less traffic on the way down).

I was the OP relating to kids sports on a Saturday morning. I have two boys who both play on Saturday mornings, quite often games do not finish until after midday which at times leaves us tight for getting to AP for 1.30 when we have a 45 minute drive from West Berkshire. We meet friends and family in the Vere for pre match analysis and a beer/coke or two.

The one huge issue with your post is many football fans refuse to pay £70-£80 a month plus to Sky to watch various channels that cover live sport.

Anyway I’m delighted we are on TV as our record in front of the cameras is second to none

• @wwfcblue said:

@username123 said:
    Can’t we just be happy we are selected to be on TV against one of the bigger clubs in our league, hopefully raising our profile a bit further? Totally appreciate it will cause some people difficulties but we are all fully aware when we buy our season tickets that fixtures times can change, it’s kind of part of the deal. It’s not like we are on telly that often is it! Someone mentioned kids football clashing - I’ll tell all the kids I coach to get back home quick from training and watch their local team on the telly for a change and not just Chelsea / Liverpool / Man City etc like normal, or even better to watch their local team live for a change and maybe get themselves on TV. Sorry rant over but I do really feel some people miss the point sometimes. Oh, and I was on Roker Beach stuffing my face by 12.30 when we last went up there, so it is doable for them and they probably get home at a decent hour too (and have less traffic on the way down).

I was the OP relating to kids sports on a Saturday morning. I have two boys who both play on Saturday mornings, quite often games do not finish until after midday which at times leaves us tight for getting to AP for 1.30 when we have a 45 minute drive from West Berkshire. We meet friends and family in the Vere for pre match analysis and a beer/coke or two.

The one huge issue with your post is many football fans refuse to pay £70-£80 a month plus to Sky to watch various channels that cover live sport.

Anyway I’m delighted we are on TV as our record in front of the cameras is second to none

I’m one of those football fans that won’t pay that either, but also lots of families can’t afford to watch Wycombe a couple of times a month which can arguably cost more than £80-£90 in the process. If they do decide to spend their money on sports channels or a 1 day pass to get access to one instead, then I’m pleased this gives them easy access to watch our club for a change.

• 12.30 kick off “Sky’s House, Sky’s Rules”.

• NOW TV sports is £34 per month, with another £5 to “boost” so all 11 sports channels can be watched on 3 devices. Still not cheap but 3 households sharing same account, one my 90 year old father, who can’t get out but enjoys the football, golf and F1 but not ridiculous. It’s less for 3 households per month than one household watching on iFollow.

Living over in NI we don’t get a lot of high quality football, and yes I do go to local Premiership matches (that’s Irish Premiership not Premier League before I’m told it’s the wrong name) so to me that too adds to the value of NOW TV.

All clubs take the money, unevenly distributed as it is, so all clubs need to adjust. For L1 clubs it’s not that often and does raise their profile.

Out of interest, what match on 8th Jan, confirmed as going on at this point in time, does everyone think should have been selected so that it’s not unfair on travelling fans?

• edited November 2021

This and Accy v MK are the only two games that weekend featuring two teams already out of the FA Cup, so it was a pretty straightforward call for Sky.

• Interesting stuff

• @username123 said:

Cool, let's move all games to 12:30 shall we?

• @eric_plant said:

@username123 said:

Cool, let's move all games to 12:30 shall we?

Literally no-one said that.

• Not sure I suggested they did

You crack on though with your witty comments

• @eric_plant said:
    Not sure I suggested they did

You're losing it.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    12.30 kick off “Sky’s House, Sky’s Rules”.

Unreasonable comment. Sky pay for rights to screen games and in return have contracted rights to move k.o. times. There are rules forbidding the televising of 3pm games so that’s why it’s a 1230 start.

• @glasshalffull said:

@perfidious_albion said:
    12.30 kick off “Sky’s House, Sky’s Rules”.

Unreasonable comment. Sky pay for rights to screen games and in return have contracted rights to move k.o. times. There are rules forbidding the televising of 3pm games so that’s why it’s a 1230 start.

Are they able to select which slot the game goes in? 5:30 obviously would have been more reasonable.

• @wwfcblue said:

Huddersfield just called and asked if you'd like to check that statement.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@eric_plant said:

You're losing it.

I'm genuinely worried about him. Seems to be regularly having an argument with an imaginary voice in his head.

• @eric_plant said:

You literally did.

• Only another whole week til our next game...

• There are some people for whom it being at 12.30 makes no odds, some who are happy about it being on the telly and others who are quite rightly peed off about both timing and Sky getting football wrong. None of the above opinions are wrong.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Are they able to select which slot the game goes in? 5:30 obviously would have been more reasonable.

Makes it a late home for the Mackems rather than early start…… Would suit some I suspect, perhaps those more local, but others might prefer the earlier time.

• Would have been dreadful for our fans if the away game had been changed to a 12.30.
    But on the other hand I'd have quite liked to have been able to watch another of our games on tv, without messing with a VPN.

• @carrickblue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Makes it a late home for the Mackems rather than early start…… Would suit some I suspect, perhaps those more local, but others might prefer the earlier time.

I expect a lot will try and at least split a bit of the journey with an overnighter now.
    And the positive is they can get home a lot earlier in the evening!
    But is is a bit weak to make it such an early kick off with such distance involved.

• @drcongo said:

@wwfcblue said:

And I seem to recall Burton in front cameras for JFH's first game first time round was disappointing.

• Stop wittily taunting us with players’/managers’ initials @Wendoverman. I’m sure most people knew to whom (ooh get me!) you were referring. Sadly, not I.

• Sorry @micra I was referring to James Floyd Hasselbaink.

• @drcongo said:

@wwfcblue said:

A hint of sarcasm on my part, we have a woeful record for League games in front of the Sky cameras.