Skip to content

Anis Mehmeti

Comments

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I think it's still too early to say either way

Can't ever see Anis learning how to ping it in off his left from 25 yards....

I could see Anis getting to the prem and lighting up games like Eze did in his first season, but I'm fully expecting Eze to push on way further now

• Not sure when this became a debate about whether he can be better than Eze!

Let's give him a chance eh!

• I think we can at least say he'll make his international debut by next summer

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I think we can at least say he'll make his international debut by next summer

Not necessarily if he switches his allegiance to England!

• @mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Nice quip @mooneyman but a few may have been taken in by the (international?) ambiguity of @ReturnToSenda’s post.
    I too think Eze will make the England squad. He was sort of one of ours.

• International ambiguity!!! Meant ‘intentional’ of course but it kinda works with both. Doooh.

• @micra said:

@mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Nice quip @mooneyman but a few may have been taken in by the (international?) ambiguity of @ReturnToSenda’s post.

He’s already made an England squad, only to get injured just afterwards

• edited November 2021

@wwfcblue said:

@micra said:

@mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

He’s already made an England squad, only to get injured just afterwards

Yeah, was going to be in the provisional squad for the Euros. If he has a good few months then I'd say he's got a decent chance of a call-up in March, although we are fairly stacked in that area.> @micra said:

@mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I meant Anis!

• @Username said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

@Username said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@MorrisItal_ said:
    Anis has the ability to be the best player to put on a Wycombe shirt.
    And that’s my delightful cameo

Agree 100%

He's not as good as Eze, but we didn't own him

No, not as good but better, potentially and that’s up to him

Nowhere near IMO, Eze had/has everything Anis has but with more strength, end product and off both feet. I'll be amazed if he doesn't play for England.

Anis is quality but not in that bracket in terms of potential

Time will te

• @micra said:
    International ambiguity!!! Meant ‘intentional’ of course but it kinda works with both. Doooh.

An early draft of Austin Powers may have had him as a man of international ambiguity.

• We love Anis, but no one has as yet named a team that would want to buy him for big money and a big salary?

• @Forest_Blue said:
    We love Anis, but no one has as yet named a team that would want to buy him for big money and a big salary?

Why do you keep banging on about this? Many of us have said it's his future value and salary that can be high, not necessarily immmediate.

And who would have predicted 750k for Uche?

• @Forest_Blue said:
    We love Anis, but no one has as yet named a team that would want to buy him for big money and a big salary?

My response to this is that transfers happen for 2 reasons, current ability, potential ability. If there is a club out there with a good scouting network and a coach who looks at Anis and say 'he's good but if we tweak certain aspects he could be awesome' he's worth x. If there is a club out there who see what he is doing for us now he is worth y. Getting him under a decent contract protects our investment from the former I guess.

• Some people like a good bang @Malone!

• I don't think anyone has anything to worry about in Jan, unless Anis goes on a long scoring run between now and then. Other than Plymouth he's not set League One on fire, he's not even been a regular starter for us until the last couple of weeks. There will also be question marks over his discipline following the Sunderland suspension.

If he can show us over the second half of the season that he's learnt the lessons Gareth wants him to learn - and adds discipline, willingness to track back and a better sense of when to release the ball to his game - then he will likely be looked at in close season as someone who could develop further at a lower level Championship club. And if no one comes in for him, he'll have an improved Wycombe contract offer to fall back on.

Staying here for the rest of the season is a win win for both Anis and the club. Hopefully he sees it that way but as I say, let's not just assume the offers will pour in for him in Jan. Has anyone heard any rumours of higher team scouts coming to watch him yet?

Personally, and I appreciate this is a minority view, I'd still have him behind Horgan and McCleary in the pecking order, quite possibly behind Kaikai too, who offers another option for free kicks and corners if JJ isn't starting. But Anis would be the first person I'd bring on as a sub, around the 60 minute mark when things need shaking up.

• @aloysius said:

Personally, and I appreciate this is a minority view, I'd still have him behind Horgan and McCleary in the pecking order,

Not a minority view from here.

• @HCblue said:

@aloysius said:

Personally, and I appreciate this is a minority view, I'd still have him behind Horgan and McCleary in the pecking order,

Not a minority view from here.

Or here

• We have a decent squad and Anis is a valuable part of it and is presently playing well and keeping other players out of the team, which is how it should be . I don't think he will go in January either and if we get promoted I think he will stay. I also agree he has possibly not done enough yet to have 'bigger clubs' queuing for his signature. That may change by the end of the season though.

• Horgan above Mehmeti is a big shout on either current form, achievement here or potential. I believe Anis has scored more goals in the last 3 games than Horgan has in a year and a half although they both offer other things as well.
    I have no doubts at all we want to keep him and would have kicked off discussions. Can't see massive interest elsewhere, not that we tend to know much in advance of any player leaving, but it could become tricky if we were trying to get him to renew for a relatively small wage and the deal wasn't structured to reflect his potential and what he could be worth going forward. Release fees could be another haggle area. But unless a much bigger club wanted him he's unlikely to want to sit back in someone's reserves.

• edited November 2021

Mehmeti has demonstrated that he has an end product and can individually change the course of a game. Horgan flatters to deceive in comparison in my view. However, I don't see why it has to one or the other as they have totally different attributes.

• @mooneyman said:
    Mehmeti has demonstrated that he has an end product and can individually change the course of a game. Horgan flatters to deceive in comparison in my view. However, I don't see why it has to one or the other as they have totally different attributes.

To be fair it was about Horgan, Mehmeti and McCleary and you'd maybe struggle to get all three and Hanlan in the same XI but there will be time for them all this season. Good problems to have.

• Mehmeti before Horgan for me. Exciting before frustrating.

• Yes I’m with you on that one @micra.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@mooneyman said:

To be fair it was about Horgan, Mehmeti and McCleary and you'd maybe struggle to get all three and Hanlan in the same XI but there will be time for them all this season. Good problems to have.

Personally this is what I'd do, play all 3 and give Hanlan a rest. I know everyone has fallen in love with Hanlan, but for now he doesn't get in the team in front of Vokes, he's done very well don't get me wrong, but I for one was screaming at him the other night at Plymouth when he smashed the ball over from 12 yards instead of squaring to Vokes for a simple tap in. As you say, everyone will get their chances this season.

• @HolmerBlue interesting idea. Hanlan replacing Vokes as front man on 70 minutes?

• The thing is, everyone is being given a 10 day rest, so that in itself wouldn't be a reason.

GA and Dobbo are in the healthy position of having 4 undroppable forward players, plus Horgan...

• Mehmeti over Horgan every day of the week for me. Just watched his goal again Saturday, told McClearly exactly where he wanted it and delivered. Horgan huff and puff no end product. Kaikai yet to shine for me, injury and international duties a contribution to that but Mehmeti before him too.
    As for Hanlan we are getting what Bristol Rovers fans said. Falls over a lot, works hard, scores occasionally.

• I like Horgan when we're pressing teams high up the pitch, like we've done in the first half of home games this season, and when we have a bit more of the ball. I don't think he quite suits us as well in a counter-attacking style - for which in my opinion Hanlan should be deployed every time. He's quick, holds up the ball and is capable of turning in tight spaces, and gets up to support Vokes. For Burton at home it would be McCleary, Mehmeti, and Hanlan for me.

• edited November 2021

I get the argument that Mehmeti is more exciting than Horgan and, on his day, more likely to score. But not every performance is a Plymouth.

With Horgan you're getting consistency - intelligent play, vision, good interaction with McCleary. The interplay between those two at the start of the season contributed to McCleary shining. Now he's back from injury I'd like to see the same forward three used again - Horgan and McCleary behind Vokes - either reverting back to the three centre-backs again or playing a back four with an additional midfielder (I'd like Wheeler sitting in front of Thompson and Scowen if all fit, but that's where you could also bring in Mehmeti, particularly in the matches against weaker opponents). I agree with @HolmerBlue that Hanlan should drop out of the starting line-up; I think we're so much more balanced playing Vokes as a lone striker.

• I wonder what happened to the Horgan of the first few games of the season. His telepathy with McCleary was at the heart of all the exciting moves we managed to put together.