Skip to content

Match day thread: Sheffield Wednesday

1234568»

Comments

• edited November 2021

@bookertease Doesn't seem that long ago that the kid on David Langdon's club Xmas card cartoon was asking Santa if he could give us promotion to the Conference...!

• I’m pretty sure I’ve still got that card somewhere in a box in my loft!

Did I dream it but did we do a Christmas card a couple of years later with the original design for Adams Park (with the curved roof fronts)?

• I've seen the drawing - not sure if it was a Christmas Card but it may well have been.

Looked impressive and moderately futuristic at the time, I seem to remember...

• @LeedsBlue said:
    @bookertease Doesn't seem that long ago that the kid on David Langdon's club Xmas card cartoon was asking Santa if he could give us promotion to the Conference...!

In a two colour printing I would have gone for blue and black on the scarf rather than blue and white.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    I've seen the drawing - not sure if it was a Christmas Card but it may well have been.

Looked impressive and moderately futuristic at the time, I seem to remember...

YES!!! I literally found it the other day!

• edited November 2021

There were 2 in fact. I think. The Xmas card one I’m thinking of though was an aerial view with a wycombe scarf at the top. I loved it so much my grandad framed it. How do I get pics on here I can upload it next week

• Thanks @username123

Good to see my senility hasn’t quite fully kicked in. Now if I could just remember e we hat I did yesterday…

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@username123 said:
    Carnage and lollipops by the looks of things!

You can't have carnage without lollipops

£10 and irony says Stocko is the mate that always drops his pint when he’s had too much.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Good to see Taff out with the lads pictured on Twitter

Not sure where this narrative has come from that Taf hates it here. He’s a key player of a good team and seems to be enjoying the freedom the club have given him with some of the behind the scenes footage on his YouTube channel.

Just like non-pro athletes, footballers are different characters, so just because Taf may act differently to some of our other more extroverted players, doesn’t mean he enjoys being here any less.

• He is having an excellent season on the field and appears relaxed and happy off it. His partnership with the imperious Anthony Stewart is a major factor behind our success so far.

• @jessvl1 said:

@perfidious_albion said:

Not sure where this narrative has come from that Taf hates it here. He’s a key player of a good team and seems to be enjoying the freedom the club have given him with some of the behind the scenes footage on his YouTube channel.

Just like non-pro athletes, footballers are different characters, so just because Taf may act differently to some of our other more extroverted players, doesn’t mean he enjoys being here any less.

Exactly. Perfidious was probably furious about Graham Le Saux and his broadsheet reading outrageous back in the day.

• @Malone said:

Exactly. Perfidious was probably furious about Graham Le Saux and his broadsheet reading outrageous back in the day.

As a Guardian reader myself even I fail to comprehend the massive leap you make from a personal view on one of our players to a common misconception held about the non playing habits of a now retired player from another club. At best a strange link.
    Your choice of words @Malone suggest my posts re Taff have been somewhat hysterical. I’ve never been ‘furious’ or ‘outraged’ in my observations of his demeanour. He does tend not to join in celebrations of others goals - fact. He is slow on the turn - fact. He can get caught out of position - fact. He does tend to try and boss the back line - fact. I feel he is being carried somewhat by an imperious Tools - opinion.
    Such views, expressed in a considered manner are, last time I checked, permitted on the Gasroom. Disappointed you feel the need to have a pop at me for expressing them here and in such an oblique form.

• To be fair if Rob C opens his checkbook and buys The Player who will secure promotion and The Player is a defender who smiles a lot and celebrates wildly someone has to go.?

• Just gone back through this thread as I find it quite disturbing. The notion of ‘hate’ (in and of its self worrying in any context), seems to have been introduced by @ReturnToSenda, albeit as an question not a statement of fact. It is worrying how others @jessvl1 jump on and dial this up to an the accusation that somebody feels ‘Taff hates it here’. I have no evidence that either this is the case or that it is a view that anyone has expressed.
    It’s good we can debate subjective options on players, tactics, the price of fish, it is unacceptable that words are put into peoples mouths.

Just gone back through this thread as I find it quite disturbing. The notion of ‘hate’ (in and of its self worrying in any context), seems to have been introduced by @ReturnToSenda, albeit as an question not a statement of fact. It is worrying how others @jessvl1 jump on and dial this up to an the accusation that somebody feels ‘Taff hates it here’. I have no evidence that either this is the case or that it is a view that anyone has expressed.
    It’s good we can debate subjective options on players, tactics, the price of fish, it is unacceptable that words are put into peoples mouths.

Lol what?

• @Wendoverman said:
    To be fair if Rob C opens his checkbook and buys The Player who will secure promotion and The Player is a defender who smiles a lot and celebrates wildly someone has to go.?

I thought the 30 goal striker was The Player we needed to secure promotion!

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@perfidious_albion said:

Why wouldn’t he be? Because some poster thinks he hates all his team mates?

Sorry @ReturnToSenda it was @Right_in_the_Middle , apologies

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@perfidious_albion said:

Why wouldn’t he be? Because some poster thinks he hates all his team mates?

Sorry @ReturnToSenda it was @Right_in_the_Middle , apologies

All good!

• @mooneyman said:

@Wendoverman said:
    To be fair if Rob C opens his checkbook and buys The Player who will secure promotion and The Player is a defender who smiles a lot and celebrates wildly someone has to go.?

It was never established where The Player who would have secured our Championship status would have played as far as I recall. Only that Rob C would not buy him.

@Malone said:

As a Guardian reader myself even I fail to comprehend the massive leap you make from a personal view on one of our players to a common misconception held about the non playing habits of a now retired player from another club. At best a strange link.
    Your choice of words @Malone suggest my posts re Taff have been somewhat hysterical. I’ve never been ‘furious’ or ‘outraged’ in my observations of his demeanour. He does tend not to join in celebrations of others goals - fact. He is slow on the turn - fact. He can get caught out of position - fact. He does tend to try and boss the back line - fact. I feel he is being carried somewhat by an imperious Tools - opinion.
    Such views, expressed in a considered manner are, last time I checked, permitted on the Gasroom. Disappointed you feel the need to have a pop at me for expressing them here and in such an oblique form.

Whilst not necessarily disagreeing with anything you’re saying, your use of the word ‘fact’ in the above Seems a little questionable. “Slow on the turn” for example. Measured against what?

The rest of your ‘facts’ are also a little underhand. “Can get…” could apply to anyone at any level. “Tends to/not to..” are observations you have made. Factual as such but not helpful without context.

• An alternative list ("wins most headers", "scores crucial goals", etc) could also meet the spurious "fact" criteria, but give a different complexion on the Taf's ability and value to the side.

• Changing the subject it was amusing to read in the Torygraph Sport section that Gerrard's Aston Villa are being castigated for the Dark Arts!

• @LX1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@username123 said:
    Carnage and lollipops by the looks of things!

You can't have carnage without lollipops

or lollipop ladies

They’re certainly very vulnerable.

• Excuse me. I’m lost. Is this Threadneedle Street where vulnerable elderly ladies stand in the middle bearing lollipops?

Incidentally, I’ve just gotten the VPN region of France joke. Off to do the curry now.

• @Wendoverman said:

@mooneyman said:

@Wendoverman said:

It was never established where The Player who would have secured our Championship status would have played as far as I recall. Only that Rob C would not buy him.

POTD