Skip to content

Match day thread: Sheffield Wednesday

Comments

• What happened in the crowd? Now being reported as a disturbance.

• @Chris said:
    Sounded like a good away point. We’ll be happier than Wednesday with that.

The Wednesday fans sat near Phil didn’t sound happy at all.

• edited November 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:
    We'll take it, but that was not a particularly great performance.

Coming away with a point when you haven't played well is very much a positive

It's what teams that get promoted do

• Stat from an SWFC fan: "We’ve played all of the top 6 now, winning 4, drawing 1 and losing 1".

I thought today was a very creditable away point anyway, but in that context I think it sounds even better. Well done lads.

• edited November 2021

@eric_plant said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Promoted teams also need to perform well, but Gaz'll fix it and I still think we'll thump someone 5-0 soon.

• PBoPBo
    edited November 2021

@drcongo said:
    10/10 for that badge.

I'm trying to watch from the Vipiénne region of France today but it booted me out a minute ago. Gonna have to go audio only.

If, hypothetically, I had been doing the same, I might have found that one might choose to log out of one's account, and log back in (the classic universal panacea of IT) and, then one might theoretically continue from where one had left off just before.

Bit of a bind, and far from ideal, but such are the trials and tribulations of living in Vipiénne.

• Fantastic point ??

• Brilliant point, somehow! We were just tactically not right today and full backs were far too exposed against 2 excellent wingers. Sheffield Wednesday looked ‘get at-able’ at the back but were excellent in attack. Windlass always seem to score against us. Brannon is class and the 2 wide players were excellent. So, we didn’t play well with the ball, really battled well though and took a point against a really tough side.

20 games in, 38 points. And we have played every top 8 team away from home (and none at home).

Rest up for 10 days now boys!

• I watched from ‘Spain’. A good game all round. They probably had the better chances. Lots of endeavour from our attacking line but stifled but good defenders. Vokes with the best clear cut chance will probably be disappointed he didn’t score. Once again Mehmeti looked great. Better decision making every game and it’s his goal. 100%. If it wasn’t deflected it would have been a better goal.
    After our dip in form the last three fixtures could have yielded zero points so 7 from 9 is great. Now a break. Get Scowen etc back and we are raring.

• Maybe they can use that time to reflect on the way they desecrated the FA Cup.

• edited November 2021

Really good battling away point against a good side with a slightly makeshift midfield. Horrible weather and a long delay didn’t help us.

Coming off the back of Tuesday it is an excellent return. Great to not lose ground against two top sides and actually gain against some.

Some games shouldn’t and don’t deserve to be analysed. Today is one of them for me.

Well done and safe travels back to all who braved the cold.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@eric_plant said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Promoted teams also need to perform well, but Gaz'll fix it and I still think we'll thump someone 5-0 soon.

Pretty sure that was the Crewe game.

• @PBo said:

@drcongo said:
    10/10 for that badge.

I'm trying to watch from the Vipiénne region of France today but it booted me out a minute ago. Gonna have to go audio only.

If, hypothetically, I had been doing the same, I might have found that one might choose to log out of one's account, and log back in (the classic universal panacea of IT) and, then one might theoretically continue from where one had left off just before.

Bit of a bind, and far from ideal, but such are the trials and tribulations of living in Vipiénne.

I did actually try logging in again in several other clean browsers but no luck. I suspect that it might be that I have their app on my phone and iPad too so they’re collecting my location from those. Going to do everything in a reverse engineering clean room with air gapped mobile devices next time.

Either way, I burned very slightly more calories than @micra today, surfacing from my own sick bed only to answer the door for a delivery.

As others have said, 4 points from two very tricky away games in just a few days is a fantastic return. Any idea yet what happened in the stands?

• As others have said we would have taken 4 points from these two away games after our Pre-Bolton run so well done. Just need to re-group and hang on to our growing confidence. We are not facing the possible fixture congestion of some of our competitors.

• Great point. Very underwhelming performmace, especially second half. We had four attacking players on but couldn’t make the ball stick. I’m genuinely not sure if we touched the ball inside their box second half.

Some very hesitant defending at times too. Let it bounce too often and struggled to clear our lines on occasion.

On the plus side, our five minute spell in the first half produced a good goal. Between the lovel back heel in the buildup and a sensational free kick goal, Obita surely MOTM.

• Hope it's nothing serious @drcongo

• edited November 2021

Phil said local journos thought it was a fight among Wednesday fans. Sky Sports initially reported it as a medical emergency then changed to a 'disturbance'.

• PBoPBo
    edited November 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Phil said local journos thought it was a fight among Wednesday fans. Sky Sports initially reported it as a medical emergency then changed to a 'disturbance'.

got conflicting reports between "an SWFC inter-meathead scrap" and, ahem, a nasty case of the global COVID vaccine conspiracy side-effects coming home to roost. Believe what you will...

Or an alternative take here:

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/306378-what-happened-in-the-north-stand/

• Great draw, exciting game

• @PBo said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

got conflicting reports between "an SWFC inter-meathead scrap" and, ahem, a nasty case of the global COVID vaccine conspiracy side-effects coming home to roost. Believe what you will...

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/306378-what-happened-in-the-north-stand/

Not much difference between a woman going into labour and a fight about Barry Bannan, tbf...

• Darren Moore interview made me laugh, could not bear to call us a good team, just used the term that we are experienced in this league and are a physical team who want to stifle play lol

• @PBo said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Pattern of the game changed after this.

Elite level shithousery.

We should try it next time we’re behind at home.

• I get that we struggled from the restart after the disturbance - but like the Ipswich game, we were excellent in the 1st 30 mins and well deserved to be at least 1-0 up.

Was Hanlan taken out for the pen claim, or was it his usual over-keenness to drop like a stone? Difficult to tell from the away end.

• From a Wednesday fan on that side: "It was chaos in the stand with the fight. But the only person who could organise anything in that stand is the guy who was dealing the coke to everyone fighting!"

• edited November 2021

We had a grand total of six shots today, so that was a satisfyingly shithouse-y if sub-par performance.

• I asked a steward at the ground and he said it was a fight rather than a medical thing. Lucky point today but looked good going forward at times in the first half

• edited November 2021

Here is where we have played the top teams:

Rotherham - Away
    Plymouth - Away
    Sheffield Wednesday - Away
    Wigan - Away
    Oxford - Away
    Sunderland - Away
    MK Dons - Away

We have not done too badly either (W1 D5 L2). I am not saying we will win all of the return legs, just that the fans of these clubs are probably not aware that we have stayed right up there all while playing so many contenders away from home. Bring on the AP magic!

• @Shev said:
    Here is where we have played the top teams:

Rotherham - Away
    Plymouth - Away
    Wigan - Away
    Oxford - Away
    Sunderland - Away
    MK Dons - Away

We have not done too badly either (W1 D5 L2). I am not saying we will win all of the return legs, just that the fans of these clubs are probably not aware that we have stayed right up there all while playing so many contenders away from home. Bring on the AP magic!

That's actually bloody impressive.

• And one of those losses was because of the ref

• Our record is better against the top six than the top eight!