Skip to content

Anis Mehmeti

Time for Rob C to get that cheque book out again and give this young lad a decent 3 year contract. Anis is a must keep if we are to push for promotion and then stay in the Championship.
The lad is probably the most skilful Wycombe player since the days of Guppy and Carroll. Eze was also exceptional but obviously not our player.
GA has a real dilemma now with selection. Anis is still young and will have his off days but he now needs to be given and extended run to enable his development but then we have McCleary, Vokes and Hanlan, so who will make up our front 3.
McCleary has been our best player this season and deserves his place in the side and Vokes is pivotal for the team. Hanlan has been excellent since we brought him in so there is a selection headache ahead for GA and one he will be very happy with.
Please Rob give us all a big Xmas present and get Anis signed up to a 3 year deal.

Comments

• How do you know Anis hasn’t already been offered a new deal?

I don’t know but I’d be absolutely gobsmacked if we haven’t already offered one.

• Maybe he has. Just a discussion point @Vincey

• On Facebook someone asked ‘if we were offered £1 million for Anis should we take it?” - also ‘a discussion point’ hypothetical and pointless.

• Still very much a raw talent but if you look at his performance between 1st half Bolton where he repeatedly make the wrong choice of run v pass to his ridiculous 2nd goal v Plymouth the potential is frightening. He needs game time, he needs protection, he needs support, we need patience. But I do agree it would be lovely if we had him tied down to a long contract before he went off to Luton or Peterborough on the cheap.

• If he unfortunately moved on, I hope it would be to a club like Brentford where they would develop him properly.

• It would be a big decision for him to move on at this stage. He failed to make it an Norwich and needs a settled season or two to develop. I suppose by the end of the season we'll know if he's done it or not. Agreeing at least a year extension now would settle him down for this season, hopefully he sees it like this too, but he can clearly play at a higher level with his natural ability.

• I see Mehmeti very much in the same light as I did Sergio Torres in the past. An exciting player who I love to watch but one who exists in delightful cameos and not always consistent end product.
    I think Mehmeti is due a run in the side now but he needs the other attackers around him to take the pressure off both in terms of end product and close marking.
    I hope he stays with us for years but if he doesn’t I hope the club get some reward for spotting the talent. Even if neither of those happen I will enjoy watching his career.
    January is still worrying me in terms of player departures. Fingers crossed my worry is for nothing.

• Development usually isn't linear (hence players like Anis get spat out of academies like gum), so I'd expect a spell of inconsistency for a little while longer. I think we'll keep hold of him until the summer - and beyond if we go up.

• Seems talented players like him are easily harranged for giving the ball away having already taken it upfield before trying to find a pass that might only come off once out of 4 or 5 times but gets you a goal if it does.
    Without the likes of him and McCleay we're under greater pressure as we can't clear our lines, punts forward come straight back and we get overrun. Last year at times he tried a trick and we got caught out too close to our box but seems like he's on fire right now, let him play, no boxes , no recriminations, then he'll thrive and want to stay.

• It'd be unthinkable we haven't tried to extend his contract.
    The worry is that his agent is purposely telling him to bide his time, has a few whisper of interest and is just biding his time to move him on quickly and cheaply.

Just have to enjoy the good times while they're here.
    Any more displays like the other day and we won't have any chance of keeping him.

• Maybe Stewart might whisper in his other ear that the grass ain't always greener.

• It's been difficult for Anis this season. He's had to deal with the retrospective suspension for the O'Nien incident, he's been interrupted by international call-ups, and is competing for a place in the same area of the pitch as our strongest player - all the time whilst trying to develop his game, showing what he can do when he gets on the pitch, and also following orders to track back and defend deep when required, esp. away from home (which I'm sure doesn't come naturally to him). Then when he demonstrates his growing confidence by grabbing the ball for a penalty in the absence of JJ he promptly misses it. The fact that he can bounce back and produce the kind of performance like Tuesday (and the rest of the game following the missed pen) shows he is growing up fast.

• @MindlessDrugHoover Stewart, whose contract is also up in the summer?!

• I'd be absolutely amazed if we haven't already had serious discussions with Mehmeti. That doesn't necessarily mean he's turned us down... Hopefully he's already signed on the dotted line and they're just waiting for the best time to announce it

• I assume you meant ‘might be’ in the first line, second paragraph of your post of 12.37 pm !

• I posted this elsewhere but good to have a dedicated thread and I would be particularly interested what clubs people think would come in for Anis.

We must have offered Anis a deal last summer but I guess it was rejected as the club announced that we had triggered a clause in his existing contract to keep him for another year. So I suspect his agent said, “Don’t sign”.

I’m sure we’ve made offers since and are probably in discussions now. His agent will also be asking around to drum up alternative options, that’s the agent’s job.

I don’t think we will sell in January as we want promotion and getting £500k for Anis in January doesn’t compare to getting £6m for promotion. So he stays, come what may.

In the summer, if we get promoted…he stays as he has a first team birth in a Championship club.

If we don’t get promoted he might go if someone offers higher wages and a signing bonus…but Anis is still a work in progress and he isn’t going to walk into the first team in a decent Championship level club quite yet. So he goes mid-level, bench warms and earns his place or he goes low Championship with a chance of starting.

All in all he should stay at Wycombe at least another season and learn his trade.

• He should definitely stay and develop, but we would say that as Wycombe fans.

We could go up and some team could offer him say 8-10k a week and even for a hard fight to get into their team that would still be an attractive option, in a career that one clogger could wipe you out of for 6months.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    On Facebook someone asked ‘if we were offered £1 million for Anis should we take it?” - also ‘a discussion point’ hypothetical and pointless.

Maybe I’m out of touch with football finances but surely we’d jump at £1m if offered.

• @Chris said:

@perfidious_albion said:
    On Facebook someone asked ‘if we were offered £1 million for Anis should we take it?” - also ‘a discussion point’ hypothetical and pointless.

Maybe I’m out of touch with football finances but surely we’d jump at £1m if offered.

I think you may be out of touch. QPR got £17m for Eze and whilst Mehetmi is nowhere near that level at the moment, £1m might be a steal.

I think the most important thing would be to insert a very substantial sell on percentage as I think this boy could be worth a lot more than £1m in a few years.

• No one would offer £1m at present - but if we go up and he keeps on developing as we hope he will, then you're probably looking at closer to £10m (if we're still a Champ club when it comes to it).

• edited November 2021

@Chris said:

@perfidious_albion said:

£1m for a young league 1 mid who has flashes of high skills, but doesn't dominate many games, or in fact start that many games, would be pure rip hand off material.

But it's that sheer potential. If he has a few more games like the last one, and if we went up, that 1m would rocket up.
    Uche went for 750k up to 1m, and although he's a striker, he didn't actually score many, and was quite a few years older.

• Anis has the ability to be the best player to put on a Wycombe shirt.
    And that’s my delightful cameo

• It’s amazing how one performance has really got everyone talking about us potentially losing Anis. But that second goal was SO good he will definitely have turned some heads I’m sure.

I genuinely think if he stays here and plays every week for 18 months he could have a fantastic career, but if he left too soon and stagnated at a bigger club who knows. He’s so young he has so, so much time, the club is a brilliant environment to grow and learn from some great senior professionals. And we also have the ability to offer him a really decent contract nowadays so hopefully a deal can be done. Let’s just hope he stays for a few years as it could be a great ride.

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    Anis has the ability to be the best player to put on a Wycombe shirt.

Agree 100%

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

Agree 100%

He's not as good as Eze, but we didn't own him

• Nobody has put their finger on which clubs are going to offer a £1m for Anis in January or offer him £400k to £500k a year in salary. I just don’t see it yet.

Forest aren’t, they are flush with Academy talent…so who will?

• @Username said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

Agree 100%

No, not as good but better, potentially and that’s up to him

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@Username said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

Agree 100%

No, not as good but better, potentially and that’s up to him

Nowhere near IMO, Eze had/has everything Anis has but with more strength, end product and off both feet. I'll be amazed if he doesn't play for England.

Anis is quality but not in that bracket in terms of potential

• I think it's still too early to say either way