Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

Comments

• @mooneyman said:

@Wendoverman said:
    I don't know why but whenever I read an @eric_plant post I always picture him in BBC Sunday evening drama black Victorian garb sat atop a windswept hill on a very high horse looking down with just the hint of a sneer on his face.

Mr Pickwick?

Scrooge

• @our_frank said:
    @drcongo @Wendoverman This is rich stuff coming from the gasroom's Sneerers-in-Chief.

I'm assuming there is a generous salary and expenses?

• @drcongo said:
    If everyone could DM @eric_plant with every comment they’re about to post so they can check if it should be allowed, I feel like that could really help his blood pressure.

Maintaining a safe distance from the Plymouth matchday thread and even less relevant, is it true @drcongo, as my friend @BlueBoy has suggested, that DMs on the Gasroom can be seen by third parties?
    I’m mortified if that is the case.

@TheDancingYak - for a moment, reading your first paragraph, I thought I must have missed a pitch invasion bythe Pied Piper and his followers.

• I've seen what you've been saying about our spelling and grammar behind our backs, @micra...

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I've seen what you've been saying about our spelling and grammar behind our backs, ???

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I've seen what you've been saying about our spelling and grammar behind our backs, @micra...

???

• DreAd to think what you’ve been saying about my Keyboard skills!

• DMs are private @micra but there is a confusing thing where you can post a message on someone’s profile page. No idea what use that is.

• Thanks @drcongo. Not sure if I’d know the difference, to be honest. You and I had an exchange a few seasons ago about what would be a good match for you to attend at a time when you weren’t able to get to that many (I think a pint in the nascent Village was mentioned) and I assume that route was the private one.

Sadly, for health reasons, I no longer have the opportunity to meet good friends, including several on the Gasroom - well, not at matches, anyway. It’s all about meeting for lunch (quite frequently!) these days.

• edited November 2021

@our_frank said:
    @drcongo @Wendoverman This is rich stuff coming from the gasroom's Sneerers-in-Chief.

I don't think either are sneerers are they?
    Dr C can lash a few people,usually deserving but Wendy's stock material is more a rich satire on the fickle and quick to rant nature of some fans.

• @micra said:

@drcongo said:
    If everyone could DM @eric_plant with every comment they’re about to post so they can check if it should be allowed, I feel like that could really help his blood pressure.

Maintaining a safe distance from the Plymouth matchday thread and even less relevant, is it true @drcongo, as my friend @BlueBoy has suggested, that DMs on the Gasroom can be seen by third parties?
    I’m mortified if that is the case.

@TheDancingYak - for a moment, reading your first paragraph, I thought I must have missed a pitch invasion bythe Pied Piper and his followers.

There's 2 ways to message someone.

I've just sent you 2 messages to illustrate this.

1)Post on their "wall" if you like - visible to all who click on your name
    2)sent you an actual PM - not visible to all

• @Malone many thanks. I’m feeling bad about my pedantic point above now! But I did wonder if you had access to Mehmessi ‘s agent.

• I’ve got it! For private, tap the three white horizontal lines top left and then tap/click on the envelope icon; for open, ignore horizontal lines, tap Activity at top of screen. I’ve been private all along.

• @Malone Sneerer in Chief sounds important so I'm not knocking it.

• As far as Hanlan wearing Horgan's shirt, maybe he was just trying to play Daryl back into form so we are ready when we need him...

• @Wendoverman said:
    I don't know why but whenever I read an @eric_plant post I always picture him in BBC Sunday evening drama black Victorian garb sat atop a windswept hill on a very high horse looking down with just the hint of a sneer on his face.

Is it OK to be slightly aroused by this?

• edited November 2021

I would like to withdraw my original sneering observation as it has taken quite a strange turn...

• @LX1 said:

@Wendoverman said:

Is it OK to be slightly aroused by this?

Whatever floats your boat, @LX1, we're not here to judge.

• @Shev said:
    As far as Hanlan wearing Horgan's shirt, maybe he was just trying to play Daryl back into form so we are ready when we need him...

Daryl hasn't been out of form, i personally feel he's been great this season and only lost his place because he went off on international duty

• Re; DMs, sorry for the confusion, @micra! The ‘activity’ page didn’t make it clear the source of said activity just that it was between two users directly. Thanks for clarifying @Malone.

• We are more alike than we think. Good effort from Lowe and the board at Plymouth. Looks like the lad will be out until next summer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59519940

• Hats off to them.

• OOOOH, speaking from experience, that's painful! Wish him all the best for his recovery.

• @wwfcblue said:
    We are more alike than we think. Good effort from Lowe and the board at Plymouth. Looks like the lad will be out until next summer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59519940

Excellent. Hopefully this becomes the norm, especially at the higher levels where clubs spaff money on far more wasteful stuff all the time.

• That’s really good to hear, especially as the lad suffered a serious injury to his other knee whist at Luton and (according to Wikipedia at least) has played fewer than 50 games at club level (including 17 for Everton in the Premier League) since turning professional. Ironically, he has played getting on for half that number for England at various age levels. Most recently, this year in fact, he played twice for Zimbabwe.

When he incurred the current injury, he had galloped forward from his left back position to the edge of our box in an effort described by the commentator (? @bluntphil) as an attempt to atone for an error a couple of minutes earlier which I think may have led to one of our goals.

As @EwanHoosaami says, that injury (displacement of the kneecap) is extremely painful as our grandson can testify, having experienced it twice as a teenager - once playing football and a second time when jumping down from a tree, having climbed up to retrieve a ball caught up there during a knockabout game in a school break. Sadly, now 21, he has not been able to play since.

We all wish Brendan Galloway as speedy a recovery as possible.

• Wrong matchday but have just put telly on (ITV 1) to hear Rochdale fans booing a piece of boghousery by Plymouth as they take an age making a substitution immediately followed by a superb Dale equaliser. Large “Cornish Dale” banner just enhanced the joy.

• Plymouth at full strength. Clearly want to progress. Wrong player just given a yellow. If the other player involved in the foul had, correctly, got the card, a second yellow, he’d have been off. Meanwhile, a nasty stamp on a Rochdale players right foot sees him having to hobble off.

• VAR might have ruled out the winning goal as the delivery ball wasn’t even touching the corner quadrant.

Very impressed with Rochdale who deserved a draw but didn’t take their chances. Cashman (on loan from Coventry) is a very impressive Grealish lookalike. Scarr excellent for Plymouth.

• edited December 2021

I love how ITV banked on getting Notts County v Sheffield Wednesday and ended up with that instead