Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

Comments

• They are claiming 14 minutes of stoppages at one point...as if their player being down for 6 or 7 minutes was not included. And this idea that every single ref books their player for a 'powder puff' challenge after letting numerous ones 'go' for us. I know we are in a post-truth era, but it I expect as someone else said that if we won 7-0 it would be down to long-balls, time-wasting and a poor ref giving us everything.

• @micra said:
    Interested to see that you wouldn’t include Hanlan in the starting eleven @Commoner.

If we are a man down in midfield then I think someone had to make way. McCleary also back in.

To be honest, I think Hanlan could do a job up top on his own if we were in park the bus mode.

He could also quite easily play on the left of the midfield 5 instead of Obita.

Isn't it wonderful to have options!

Again, I re-iterate this is purely for the Sheff Weds game if are three more defensive midfielders are still injured.

• Why would we go and park the bus? I expect it'll be the same side that started v Plymouth bar maybe Pendlebury for Thompson - keep it even then switch to 4atb and unleash McCleary around the hour mark maybe.

• Any mention of their 4 blatant dives?

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Any mention of their 4 blatant dives?

Only 4?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    Any mention of their 4 blatant dives?

Only 4?

4 full on leaps in the penalty area complete with hopeful look in the direction of the ref but no real argument when everyone moved on as nothing was ever doing. Sure there were plenty more throughout the pitch.
    Easy to declare yourself saints the opposition bastards if every time one of our players goes over it's a dive and every time one of theirs does its because we're thugs. All a bit amateur though, I thought Oxford did it with a bit more feeling.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Why would we go and park the bus? I expect it'll be the same side that started v Plymouth bar maybe Pendlebury for Thompson - keep it even then switch to 4atb and unleash McCleary around the hour mark maybe.

The games all about opinions? I believe that the best way to come back Saturday with 3 points or perhaps one point is to park the bus for the first 70 minutes - IF Thompson, Scowen and Gape cannot start. In my interpretation of park the bus, you still can hit them on the counter attack!

Now if one of them is available, then maybe we can be a bit more offensive.

I really like Pendlebury and Wheeler but I am not convinced they are strong enough as a pair to play the 2 man midfield we often like to employ. Particularly as Mehmeti should start.

The season before the promotion season we "parked the bus" and played counter attacking football to great effect. None more so than the Peterborough 1-0 win at home. We actually played 4-2-3-1, with Cowan-Hall, Fred and Randell Williams in the 3 behind Alex Samuel. Bryn Morris and Gape as the midfield 2.

As soon as Posh had the ball we went 4-5-1 and let them bring the ball to the half way line and only then did we engage. Samuel was magnificent that day.

I feel like a similar game plan for this weekend would maximise our chances of returning with some points. Quite happy if we do something else and come home with some points. Will be disappointed if we play really openly and get picked off if our midfield two are Pendlebury and Wheeler, as it's asking a lot of them.

Nonetheless, I'll be there cheering them on for the whole game no matter what! And if we do play on the front foot with Wheeler / Pendlebury and we smash them out of sight then perhaps I got it wrong...

COYB!

• I feel a bit nervous about the idea of starting a back 4 v their front 2 - plus going 3atb v 3atb tends to be quite effective at neutralising the game (up to a point). But I also said I was going to stop trying to second guess Gaz, so I am zipping it now ?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:
    Over 13000 at Home Park, but the most noise they made all night was when we were taking throw ins, and when their team really needed them, they were silent.

More like Away Park amirite

oh very well,

honk

• edited November 2021

@arnos_grove said:
    xZZZZZs. The predicted number of seconds before stifling a yawn when someone starts banging on about xG.

I had a feeling that mentioning xG would summon @ReturnToSenda

• Just to prove that the ref certainly didn’t ‘give us everything’ against Plymouth, we were adjudged to have committed 13 fouls to Argyle’s 6, we had 4 players cautioned while they had just two.

• And we had a perfectly good goal disallowed!!!!

• One of the true highlights of the PASOTI forum responses can be found in the matchday experience thread, where a club official admitted they had to turn the volume of the music up just before the teams were coming out because the home fans were too quiet.

• There must be some very clever medics in the Argyle crowd if they can assess head injuries whilst sitting yards away in the stand.

• Are we still banging on about this?

• Their fans certainly are!

• edited November 2021

@eric_plant said:
    Are we still banging on about this?

Yep. And whyever not?

• I don't know why but whenever I read an @eric_plant post I always picture him in BBC Sunday evening drama black Victorian garb sat atop a windswept hill on a very high horse looking down with just the hint of a sneer on his face.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I don't know why but whenever I read an @eric_plant post I always picture him in BBC Sunday evening drama black Victorian garb sat atop a windswept hill on a very high horse looking down with just the hint of a sneer on his face.

Just a hint?

• If everyone could DM @eric_plant with every comment they’re about to post so they can check if it should be allowed, I feel like that could really help his blood pressure.

• @drcongo @Wendoverman This is rich stuff coming from the gasroom's Sneerers-in-Chief.

• @drcongo said:
    If everyone could DM @eric_plant with every comment they’re about to post so they can check if it should be allowed, I feel like that could really help his blood pressure.

Stay classy

• edited November 2021

Just had a thought. For a period in the second half Hamlin was actually wearing Horgans shirt with name and number on it.

Other than the obvious jokes about footballs not being able to read words or numbers, has there ever been a situation where this has happened before and a player has scored/been booked/sent off because they were wearing the wrong shirt?

I know there was a sending of where the ref got senda and Tyson( maybe?) confused and sent the wrong player off for a second bookable. But could it have openned up a can of worms had Hanlon done something wearing the wrong shirt?

Also, this was the same ref that forgot to add injury time the other week. Should he have picked up on the wrong shirt number before the 2nd half kicked off?

• Senda and McSporran

• It was Senda and McSporran and I think it was a straight red.

Ended up sending them both off.

• I’m still fuming about that sending off.

• It was an extraordinarily bad refereeing decision. Anyone remember whether McSporran's card was rescinded or did he serve a three match ban

• It was rescinded straight away.

He was literally the only player not involved in the melée

• I'm sure Prosser's Law is a thing - the longer a Gasroom thread goes on, the more likely the "they all look the same" double red card incident at Loftus Road in 2001 is likely to be mentioned.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I don't know why but whenever I read an @eric_plant post I always picture him in BBC Sunday evening drama black Victorian garb sat atop a windswept hill on a very high horse looking down with just the hint of a sneer on his face.

Mr Pickwick?