Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

Comments

• We're a good team imo

• But PLEASE can we keep Mehmeti beyond January?

• He has so much talent and tonight he really announced his arrival to the rest of the EFL. Let’s hope we can keep him as he is just so different.

• Brilliant night

• What a win! Mehmeti is absolutely class, the 3rd goal is outrageous!!!! Sorry for ever doubting you Ainsworth.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    But PLEASE can we keep Mehmeti beyond January?

I’d hope we’d convince him to sign some sort of long contract on the understanding that we let him go in the summer if an opportunity comes calling for him.

For me worst case is he walks for free in the summer, so as painful as it’d be I’d rather see us get something for him in Jan

• let's go fcking mental!

• Their first home defeat of the season. There's going to be a lot more salt than usual in the [whatever the sea off the coast of Plymouth is called] tonight.

• Argyle had their own chances but seemed to put most of them wide. In contrast, we were clinical second half in front of goal. Great link up play from the front 3. Huge goal from Vokes, who had a lot to do from that position. And wonderful feet from Mehmeti for the third in particular.

Everyone seemed to have a very clear job and executed it well. Surprised Argyle never really tried anything different to change the pattern.

I could see both sides ending up in the play offs. I’d back us to win if we were to face them.

• @jessvl1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    But PLEASE can we keep Mehmeti beyond January?

I’d hope we’d convince him to sign some sort of long contract on the understanding that we let him go in the summer if an opportunity comes calling for him.

For me worst case is he walks for free in the summer, so as painful as it’d be I’d rather see us get something for him in Jan

Keep him beyond Jan and go up and I think we could get another 6-12 months out of him. Everything crossed.

• And now you'd better believe us

• What makes tonight even more satisfying is that Argyle were quite good. You can see why they were top of the league before they ran into the Wycombe Wanderers machine.

Now i'm going to cross the state line and buy some fireworks.

• If I could make it to a pub in either Wycombe or Plymouth before closing time I might have started walking. Headed South West at the weekend, the smirk will be wide. Perfect Wycombe performance, they had a lot of possession and tbh if they had a striker who could hit a barn door with a banjo it might have been different but they didn't. Thought we defended well, took our time to regroup at the right points, and Mehmeti is a little genius.

• What a brilliant display! Had an exchange of views with a Plymouth fan on Facebook before the game. Said he was looking forward to their inevitable win, we’re a tinpot club with the most hated manager in football etc (all the usual crap). Bang on the final whistle he deleted his posts and disappeared.

• I’ve watched that second Mehmeti goal about 15 times already

• @Glenactico said:
    Argyle had their own chances but seemed to put most of them wide. In contrast, we were clinical second half in front of goal. Great link up play from the front 3. Huge goal from Vokes, who had a lot to do from that position. And wonderful feet from Mehmeti for the third in particular.

Everyone seemed to have a very clear job and executed it well. Surprised Argyle never really tried anything different to change the pattern.

I could see both sides ending up in the play offs. I’d back us to win if we were to face them.

Agree everything you mention here until the last bit?. Plymouth look a bit light at the back for me (although they did lose Galloway who I think is a defender maybe?) and lack a clinical striker so I think they’ll fall short of play offs unless they sign in January. They were strong in midfield though until we scored.

• Going to be a good day at work tomorrow

• Plymouth were good, except up front. Jephcott was hilariously bad, fluffed his lines every single time. The bloke that came on for him was so one footed he might as well have hopped. Great game though, with both teams going for it, some quality shithousing from Wycombe, some laughable diving from Plymouth and three superb goals. Good to hear that Plymouth fans still boo injured players too, classy bunch.

• To be fair, the comments on Pasoti after the game are largely very balanced and acknowledge we were the better side.

• @Glenactico said:
    Argyle had their own chances but seemed to put most of them wide. In contrast, we were clinical second half in front of goal. Great link up play from the front 3. Huge goal from Vokes, who had a lot to do from that position. And wonderful feet from Mehmeti for the third in particular.

Their plan B was swapping the strikers (for loanees) which made sense as they were creating but misfiring, luckily the replacements weren't better and as they chased it we picked them off. Beautiful job.

• @glasshalffull said:
    What a brilliant display! Had an exchange of views with a Plymouth fan on Facebook before the game. Said he was looking forward to their inevitable win, we’re a tinpot club with the most hated manager in football etc (all the usual crap). Bang on the final whistle he deleted his posts and disappeared.

I used to get really frustrated to see those comments, but now I see it as fuel to the fire. I think in a strange way, comments like that from opposition fans only help to strengthen the character of our team and club, maybe one day they’ll realise!

• Fantastic night at Home Park. Wycombe “did a proper job” on Plymouth & deserve every plaudit they get for that performance.
    Plymouth played some nice approach football in the first-half but lacked the killer finish.

Rather like Charlton had done to Argyle on Saturday, Wycombe began to stretch Argyle in the second-half & 3 expert finishes signalled a thoroughly resounding win over the league-leaders as Home Park emptied well before the end. Congratulations to all the players on a superb win!

• Bristol Rovers gave up a 95th minutes equalizer against nine man Salford. What a night.

• Wow! A quite brilliant team performance, capped by a quite brilliant individual performance from Mehmeti. Really was what we've been waiting for from him, but for sure an assist and 2 very well taken goals against the league leaders will turn a few heads.

For now though, we can just bask in that display and look forward to the next one!

• Special mention to Hanlan as well who I thought ran his socks off.

That was as good an away performance as I've seen in a long time.

• @jessvl1 said:

@glasshalffull said:
    What a brilliant display! Had an exchange of views with a Plymouth fan on Facebook before the game. Said he was looking forward to their inevitable win, we’re a tinpot club with the most hated manager in football etc (all the usual crap). Bang on the final whistle he deleted his posts and disappeared.

I used to get really frustrated to see those comments, but now I see it as fuel to the fire. I think in a strange way, comments like that from opposition fans only help to strengthen the character of our team and club, maybe one day they’ll realise!

Didn’t we use some Twitter post and stick it up at the trading ground in the promotion season? Something about us being like an elephant in a tree I think.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    To be fair, the comments on Pasoti after the game are largely very balanced and acknowledge we were the better side.

Very much so.

• @Glenactico said:

@jessvl1 said:

@glasshalffull said:

Didn’t we use some Twitter post and stick it up at the trading ground in the promotion season? Something about us being like an elephant in a tree I think.

Yep exactly - a lot of the players have spoken about how important that was since. I think as fans we assume we’re the only ones who see the negativity, but the players are well aware and like any good professional, turn the energy into a positive

• There is only one Garreth Ainsworth