Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

Comments

• Is that supposed to be sea? Looks like pebbles. Did the ship run aground like their season is about to?

• Cant say I am a great fan of the club but given the history of the city, I think that is a pretty good badge to be honest.

• Didn't realise we're unbeaten in 7 away to that lot - won 5, drawn 2

• Oh dear, those are worrying statistics! Not sure why.

• @micra Weren't you calling them a bogey team the other day?!

• One of the joys of being an exile is having bragging rights at work especially after the away game. I have enjoyed myself thoroughly over a good number of years - as I recall the last time we lost down here was in a very low profile league cup game when they were Championship and we lg2 probably 12 years or so ago. I can recall winning 3-0 with an exquisite Billy Knott last minute chip, the joys of the playoffs , an LDV penalty shoot out that went on for hours, and singing three little birds back to them in what might have been the Richardson game and Matt bloomfield scoring a late equaliser the last game and then Kashket hitting the inside of the post a couple of minutes later. Hopefully tomorrow will be another enjoyable day.....

• I’ve had a number of great away days at Home Park.

Happy travels Chairfolk!

• Is it too late to sign Holloway, Saunders and Craig back?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    @micra Weren't you calling them a bogey team the other day?!

Au contraire mon ami (part 2) - on Sunday, in the Bolton Man of the Match thread,I adduced several reasons to be cheerful about this evening’s game including “......our bogey team reputation against a faltering Plymouth side.......”.

I noticed, following that post, score predictions became much more optimistic.
    Co-incidence perhaps!

• I never knew coincidence should be hyphenated @micra?

• Terrific badge that

• Real tough game tonight and I will be very happy with a point. I wonder if GA will change the formation and play a more defensive line up.

Any news relating to Josh Scowens fitness? It would be great to have Josh back for this one.

• @DevC said:
    One of the joys of being an exile is having bragging rights at work especially after the away game. I have enjoyed myself thoroughly over a good number of years - as I recall the last time we lost down here was in a very low profile league cup game when they were Championship and we lg2 probably 12 years or so ago. I can recall winning 3-0 with an exquisite Billy Knott last minute chip, the joys of the playoffs , an LDV penalty shoot out that went on for hours, and singing three little birds back to them in what might have been the Richardson game and Matt bloomfield scoring a late equaliser the last game and then Kashket hitting the inside of the post a couple of minutes later. Hopefully tomorrow will be another enjoyable day.....

You going tonight?

• Yeah -home end with a couple of local friends though.

• The only thing that I don't like about the badge is the fact it's split into two distinct parts. I like the colour and the drawing.

• @mooneyman said:
    I never knew coincidence should be hyphenated @micra?

Didn’t you? To be honest, nor did I ! It looks much better without.

• The Plymouth message board makes for some interesting reading. Vile, odious, cheating, time wasting little club are among several of the compliments paid to us, although there is some begrudging respect for Ainsworth. I think the term odious could rightly applied to that creep Adams that used to manage them. I’d like us to take an early lead tonight then spending the rest of the evening on game management…I think the Plymouth supporters would be a touch irritable.

• Any thoughts as to which kit we will be wearing this evening?

• @PJS said:
    Any thoughts as to which kit we will be wearing this evening?

Plymouth have dark shorts, so I'm thinking it'll be red and white quarters

• Got to love an old skool shield with cartouche and the Argyle green adds to a classic look.
    As for accusations against us on their fans forum, their booing of a career threatening injury to our young keeper was appalling.
    Turning ‘don’t worry’ against them with phone light held high in the play off was very satisfying.

• That’s a decent badge, but did it instantly trigger the Captain Pugwash theme tune in anyone else’s head?

• Cannot watch or listen tonight (legally of otherwise) but I too hope that we being something back from Plymouth to keep our spirits up. There are predictions of snow next week so it's possible Sheffield might be off?

• They are lucky that badge is green, because the design is full on Blue Peter.

• @ReturnToSenda WW played in navy shorts on Saturday, as did Bolton Wanderers. No real colour clash overall so hopefully we’ll play in blue. Nice sunny day down here after a frosty start but it’s going to be cold this evening. COYB!

• @A_Worboys said:
    @ReturnToSenda WW played in navy shorts on Saturday, as did Bolton Wanderers. No real colour clash overall so hopefully we’ll play in blue. Nice sunny day down here after a frosty start but it’s going to be cold this evening. COYB!

I've lost all sense after last season - Championship refs seemed stricter!

• 9/10 - one of the best badges in the division.

• Hello Chairpeople.

It has been a while hasn't it. Where have you been? Anywhere nice?

So we resume the pseudo rivalry that some of the internet warriors on both sides don't seem to be able to let go......and in truth there is something on both sides....Adams sticks in your craw and we have a thing about the dark arts practiced ( and reading other forums not just against us ) or allegedly practiced by your good selves.

I'll confess to stirring that pot a few seasons back when writing the One Game at a Time thread where I previewed the weeks games and christened you Why-come? which seems to have stuck with a few of the Green army...oops!

I also was responsible for the April fool post about a new sponsorship deal with Timex, a name change to Sporting Wycombe and a legal challenge by Derek Adams over your stadium name when you got bought out....

Anyway, time rolls on and too be honest the most annoying thing about WW if truth be told is how long to takes to drive away after the matches at Adams Park....that and the fact that we don't seem to be able to beat you at home....and if JJ scores his dad will text me....

We have moved on anyway...we are now much more focused on the giant baiting of the Wendies after we won our "cup final" (their words) 3-0 and then proceeded to eliminate them from the FA Cup as well....

Personally I hope you leave Jacobsen on the bench again as he always sets up goals against us, and Akinfenwa invariably causes chaos when he plays although we are a different defensive beast to last seasons pushovers.

But I think you correspondents are right, and that a few well placed snipers bullets and some judicious time wasting in the first half will send a few of the watching locals apoplectic...even though we do it ourselves.

Hopefully we will bounce back after the shock defeat at Charlton ( albeit the shock is that it has taken this long to happen) and we are a decent side who score a lot, so the next two games against you and Wigan followed by Slumberland away could make or break this completely unexpected charge to the top....

We would all have taken the play offs in August, and I think Rotherham are the team to catch this season with perm any one from five or six for second....including us, and you but seemingly not Yipswich...which should give you some measure of relief.

Three Little Birds in May anyone?

Good luck from Wednesday onwards......and best wishes to your recovering Railway Steve...I did the whole stent thing about four years ago and its a slow old recovery process...but it's a lot better than the alternative!!

I'll pop by either way with some observations tomorrow

COYG!

• @MBS said:
    The Plymouth message board makes for some interesting reading. Vile, odious, cheating, time wasting little club are among several of the compliments paid to us, although there is some begrudging respect for Ainsworth. I think the term odious could rightly applied to that creep Adams that used to manage them. I’d like us to take an early lead tonight then spending the rest of the evening on game management…I think the Plymouth supporters would be a touch irritable.

They can be instantly silenced with the memory that they booed a guy being carted off injured, who was out for months, and then never played another league game.

It's like being criticised by an Oxford fan knowing how their meagre success was funded.

• JJ in for Kaikai, back to 3atb

• McCleary and Horgan on the bench... slightly frustrated