Skip to content

Welcome Ali Al-Hamadi

New signing seems to have passed without even the slightest of mentions.
Welcome to the club Ali. Looking forward to seeing what you are all about.

Comments

• Mentioned in the matchday thread I think but looks like a really exciting signing. Welcome indeed.

• edited November 2021

The Iraq shirts are really nice too

• edited November 2021

Not sure I'll be able to handle our twitter and Facebook feeds though when he actually plays... you see how many Iraqi's posted !?

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Not sure I'll be able to handle our twitter and Facebook feeds though when he actually plays... you see how many Iraqi's posted !?

WWWP

• Not many squads that have players from Iraq and Iran.

• 2152 comments on the Facebook feed with Ali’s signing announcement. Probably 2145 comments from his Iraqi loving public.
    I can’t imagine the reaction when he makes his debut and when he scores.

• I had to double check that it was the Wycombe Facebook page, I don’t think we’ve had that many comments on anything including drummers or favourite crisps.

• It would be genuinely interesting to see how much iFollow traction we get in Iraq on the back of this (assuming he breaks into the team eventually).

• edited November 2021

Just looking at their squad and recent-call-ups, and he's the only one playing in Europe other than a few in Sweden and a couple in Denmark. They've also got a guy playing for Real Salt Lake (I'm sure @Shev knows all about Justin Meram).

• Oh and there's one in Greece too

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    I had to double check that it was the Wycombe Facebook page, I don’t think we’ve had that many comments on anything including drummers or favourite crisps.

I found it a bit odd. Loads of comments but so many of them exactly the same. Like some kind of mass Iraqi bot attack.

Anyway, in regards to him. I also find the signing of him quite odd. With Vokes, bayo, Gmac, horgs, Hanlan, Mehmeti abs wheeler all able to play in the forward positions do we need him, unless he is one for the dev squad or maybe something really special?

• edited November 2021

With Vokes and Hanlan both usually starting, we do lack a mobile out-and-out centre-forward option on the bench (De Barr isn't at that level yet and couldn't play as a lone striker).

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    With Vokes and Hanlan both usually starting, we do lack a mobile out-and-out centre-forward option on the bench (De Barr isn't at that level yet and couldn't play as a lone striker).

From what I’ve read about him, he certainly fits that bill. He’s a big lad at 19 (over 6’) and has been a prolific goalscorer for Swansea U23s. He may start with the Development squad but let’s hope he follows in the footsteps of Anis Mehmeti.

• I know we have mentioned that Tafazolli is eligable for Iran but why hasn't he been selected for their national team??

• @Otter87 said:
    I know we have mentioned that Tafazolli is eligable for Iran but why hasn't he been selected for their national team??

Iran are easily the best Middle Eastern team at present, I would include Egypt in that too. They are knocking on the door of the Top 20 in the FIFA World rankings and have qualified for the last two World Cups and look on course to qualify again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_AFC_Third_Round

I would be very surprised if they pick a League One player over current squad players, though they do seem to be short of Centre Backs at top clubs.

• @Otter87 said:
    I know we have mentioned that Tafazolli is eligable for Iran but why hasn't he been selected for their national team??

Because he isn’t good enough. One paced and slow to react. Don’t let a couple of goals, a YouTube channel and a gym bod fool you.

• @perfidious_albion said:

@Otter87 said:

Because he isn’t good enough. One paced and slow to react. Don’t let a couple of goals, a YouTube channel and a gym bod fool you.

Counter to that he’s practically unbeatable in the air, a threat at corners and free kicks and works exceptionally well with a quick reacting and fast CB (Stewart).

• @wwfcblue said:

@perfidious_albion said:

@Otter87 said:

Counter to that he’s practically unbeatable in the air, a threat at corners and free kicks and works exceptionally well with a quick reacting and fast CB (Stewart).

Also, while we haven't seen as much of it this season because he's largely played more of a stopper role in a back three, his diagonals are laser-guided. He might not be good enough for the national side, but he is an excellent defender for our level.

• Just thinking about it though, we do have a fair share of players who are registered as English, but could easily be called up by the other country within their dual nationality - they are:
    Stewart (Jamaica)
    Tafazolli (Iran)
    Thompson (St Kitts and Nevis)
    Akinfenwa (Nigeria)
    Obita (Uganda)
    Fornio-Joseph (St Lucia)

I think it's fair to say Tafazolli isnt going to be called up by Iran, or Bayo being going to be called up by Nigeria, but I definitely think there's a chance that the others may get called up at some point.

• Przybek (Poland)

• I think Tafazzoli is an excellent player at League One level and has also proved that he can handle Championship football. You can pick faults in any player even at Premier League level, far better to concentrate on their strengths rather than their weaknesses.

• I agree, I think Taf is a terrific player. I've actually likened him to a modern day Terry Evans in discussions with fellow fans and praise doesn't come much higher than that

• edited November 2021

I think Taf is great at the role

• Taf is a class player at this level.

• He was absolutely rollocked by McCarthy on Saturday, seems to lack concentration at times and (sorry to be critical) will be shown up for pace against speedy strikers so heaping pressure on Tools to do the job. We need another cb in the window to put pressure on places / avoid complacency as the kids in the B team aren’t there yet.

• @thedieharder said:
    Just thinking about it though, we do have a fair share of players who are registered as English, but could easily be called up by the other country within their dual nationality - they are:
    Stewart (Jamaica)
    Tafazolli (Iran)
    Thompson (St Kitts and Nevis)
    Akinfenwa (Nigeria)
    Obita (Uganda)
    Fornio-Joseph (St Lucia)

I think it's fair to say Tafazolli isnt going to be called up by Iran, or Bayo being going to be called up by Nigeria, but I definitely think there's a chance that the others may get called up at some point.

Just had a look at recent Jamaica call-ups. Two Rotherham defenders, for starters. How is Stewart not on their radar? Also, I know GMac has played for the national team in the past, but how has he fallen off their radar? There is a player in there from the Charlotte Independence club...come on!

• @perfidious_albion said:
    He was absolutely rollocked by McCarthy on Saturday, seems to lack concentration at times and (sorry to be critical) will be shown up for pace against speedy strikers so heaping pressure on Tools to do the job. We need another cb in the window to put pressure on places / avoid complacency as the kids in the B team aren’t there yet.

McCarthy is very vocal and obviously wants the best but he hasn't been anywhere near good enough himself since he came back in and has spent quite a lot of time in the last few appearances out of position and then berating whoever is trying to cover. Hopefully his assist will build him up a bit or the rest of the season, I still think him and Grimmer are probably good enough but both are out of form at the same time which is just annoying.
    Taff has had wobbles as we've been disjointed at times but he's hardly a problem.

• Not sure how welcome Ali Al-Hamadi will be feeling at this point, given that, after the first dozen posts, there’s not been a single word about him. That’s assuming of course that he’s even heard of the Gasroom, let alone visited it !

@ReturnToSenda - he’s the guy with the lovely, broad scouse accent, isn’t he ?

• @micra I haven't heard him speak, but apparently he does have that accent!

• This is well worth a read btw