Skip to content

January transfer window - where do you think we strengthen?

Comments

• I’ve never been very excited when David Wheeler receives/wins the ball. Can’t recall ever having spotted any fancy footwork or clever dribbles/taking someone on. But apparently he can play anywhere on the pitch. When assessing the importance (to me) of a particular player I tend to go by the way I feel when I see that they are not on the team sheet. That can range from “oh no” to relative or total indifference through to not even having noticed their absence.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Ooh this could be an interesting topic. The one player we don't rate as much as everyone else all loves, let's be honest, we all probably have one !

Anis Mehmeti for me, for reasons I've previously expounded upon at length, to which I can now add one more... takes crap penalties.

ducks

• Darren Currie - doesn't have the pace to play at this level.

• Mine is a reverse of the question - I think Nick Freeman is a fantastic player and hardly anyone else ever agrees, with a couple of notable exceptions. Leaving it there as I have been restricted to one Nick Freeman comment per month.

• @Chris said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    Ooh this could be an interesting topic. The one player we don't rate as much as everyone else all loves, let's be honest, we all probably have one !

Other than his hair, I never quite bought into the Sergio Torres hype.

I’m pleased that you’ve fully recovered from your loss of vision and/or sanity from that period

• One of the few disappointments for me in recent years was the return of Sam Saunders. I remember being really excited when he re-signed for us but he never did seem (to me) to have the influence a player of his class should have had second time around

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Might be being harsh but can't imagine Horgan's stats are particularly impressive. His pass completion on some days is almost as bad as his assist / goal rate which is a bit shocking for a talented international brought in for comparatively decent money, he's positive though and certain players do seem to set a tempo with an exciting pass and everyone else picks up a bit, preferable on the eye to watch someone float in a nice looking ball into space that nobody is on the end of rather than lump it forward to nobody in particular and have the defender thump it back.
    There was a game earlier in the season if I remember rightly where he set a couple of goals and you thought he might terrorise this division but then I think he got injured or went on international duty and hasn't done an awful lot since.

Last season - what a great signing Horgan is, wow he tore us apart v Preston. Mid season, when Horgan gets going he’s going to be the difference, end of season, oh well if he’d scored that goal v Rotherham 4 minutes into the season it could have been so different.
    This season - Horgan is gonna rip up league 1, really lucky he stayed. Strap in, it’s gonna be exciting. October - he’s scored, brilliant, 1st goal in 49 games now let’s goooo
    Hmmm

Nice guy, tries hard etc

• @bookertease said:
    One of the few disappointments for me in recent years was the return of Sam Saunders. I remember being really excited when he re-signed for us but he never did seem (to me) to have the influence a player of his class should have had second time around

Completely agree. There were moments like that free-kick v Leatherhead and was the goal from near halfway v Barnet in his second spell? But on the whole he was disappointing.

• I always thought Steve Gerrard was overrated

Don't think I ever found anyone to agree with me

• Sergio was an absolute joy on and off the pitch, Banton for couldn't be arsed, Knight for gobby / gobshite.
    Gape often spends time covering as a fill in centre back so goes unseen and has never been the most creative, also been in and out but again really nice guy who has contributed a lot and does a good job.
    So many of our signings have been cheap punts or players winding down that it's difficult to get upset if some don't work out.
    As for people being overrated that is usually more to do with idiotic trash talk than anything the player has done.
    Gerrard had a dream career for club and country within the context of where both were, scoring lots of goals, but it's not really a sleight on him or his fault if people want to say he's the best player ever or better than anyone in particular..

• I see Banton is now at Kingstonian, his 20th club and still only 28 years old. Must be a record?

• edited November 2021

I think this thread becoming somewhat of an "unpopular opinion thread" - so here's mine:

Gape is a Championship quality midfielder

• Completely agree! He is an absolutely terrific footballer

• A> @Shev said:

Mine is a reverse of the question - I think Nick Freeman is a fantastic player and hardly anyone else ever agrees, with a couple of notable exceptions. Leaving it there as I have been restricted to one Nick Freeman comment per month.

Not sure I qualify as notable (other than for the wrong reasons) but I’ve been an unrelenting admirer more or less from his first appearances and have commented many to that effect on here.

On a personal level, I was on an adjoining table at a 500 Club meal a few years ago and I observed that he didn’t look very happy and laughter was in short supply. Also, I couldn’t recall ever having heard an interview with him, so it was a very pleasant surprise on Saturday to hear him sounding confident and relaxed (who wouldn’t be, I suppose) alongside @bluntphil as co-commentator.

He was settling in to the right centre back role extremely well when he was horribly clattered in the second half against Crewe (?). Hope to see him back, playing, early in the New Year.

• Kinnell - I’m missing words out and writing right centre back instead of right wing back now. Definitely “going”. ?

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    Might be being harsh but can't imagine Horgan's stats are particularly impressive. His pass completion on some days is almost as bad as his assist / goal rate which is a bit shocking for a talented international brought in for comparatively decent money, he's positive though and certain players do seem to set a tempo with an exciting pass and everyone else picks up a bit, preferable on the eye to watch someone float in a nice looking ball into space that nobody is on the end of rather than lump it forward to nobody in particular and have the defender thump it back.
    There was a game earlier in the season if I remember rightly where he set a couple of goals and you thought he might terrorise this division but then I think he got injured or went on international duty and hasn't done an awful lot since.

Last season - what a great signing Horgan is, wow he tore us apart v Preston. Mid season, when Horgan gets going he’s going to be the difference, end of season, oh well if he’d scored that goal v Rotherham 4 minutes into the season it could have been so different.
    This season - Horgan is gonna rip up league 1, really lucky he stayed. Strap in, it’s gonna be exciting. October - he’s scored, brilliant, 1st goal in 49 games now let’s goooo
    Hmmm

Nice guy, tries hard etc

A few people were raving about him earlier this season, but I still can't quite see it with him.
    Interpasses well with McCleary at times, but I have the feeling that's more the latter's influence, as seen with his play with Mehmeti and others too.

When you factor in that the "ripping us apart" game was with Bean as right back, you start thinking was he even that good that day.

Still, more assists this season than last, and those international breaks don't help his rhythm with us.

• @Shev said:
    Mine is a reverse of the question - I think Nick Freeman is a fantastic player and hardly anyone else ever agrees, with a couple of notable exceptions. Leaving it there as I have been restricted to one Nick Freeman comment per month.

Me too! Always excited to see him play. He was playing superbly at wingback before the assault.

• @micra said:
    Kinnell - I’m missing words out and writing right centre back instead of right wing back now. Definitely “going”. ?

And it definitely couldn’t have been against Crewe that he was clattered. It was much earlier in the season.

• @Malone said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@StrongestTeam said:

Hmmm

Nice guy, tries hard etc

A few people were raving about him earlier this season, but I still can't quite see it with him.
    Interpasses well with McCleary at times, but I have the feeling that's more the latter's influence, as seen with his play with Mehmeti and others too.

When you factor in that the "ripping us apart" game was with Bean as right back, you start thinking was he even that good that day.

Still, more assists this season than last, and those international breaks don't help his rhythm with us.

Bean and another non-full back, I believe. (Not at the same time!)

• @eric_plant said:
    I always thought Steve Gerrard was overrated

I’m with you there @eric_plant

• @PJS said:

@eric_plant said:

…and John Terry

• @aloysius said:

@HolmerBlue said:

Anis Mehmeti for me, for reasons I've previously expounded upon at length, to which I can now add one more... takes crap penalties.

ducks

This aged well.

• @Forest_Blue said:

@PJS said:

@eric_plant said:

…and John Terry

At least his wonderful humane personality makes up for it... lovely guy.

• Ryan Allsop was remarkably overrated by the vast majority of this message board.

• @YorkExile said:
    Ryan Allsop was remarkably overrated by the vast majority of this message board.

Wasn't he just! He seemed a lot better on loan....

• Could we sign Dan Crowley from Cheltenham Town? His contract expires in Jan and I reckon he could be an excellent player for us now and future as he's only 24

• @Otter87 said:
    Could we sign Dan Crowley from Cheltenham Town? His contract expires in Jan and I reckon he could be an excellent player for us now and future as he's only 24

Interesting shout, I didn't realise he was on a short term deal down there. We're fairly well stacked in midfield though aren't we?

• He’s not pulled up too many trees, has he?
    Just a handful of games for Cheltenham.

• @bigred87 said:

@YorkExile said:
    Ryan Allsop was remarkably overrated by the vast majority of this message board.

Have to agree. Being slightly controversial, I think we may have stayed up last year with Stockdale in goal for more games.

• edited November 2021

@davecz said:

@bigred87 said:

@YorkExile said:

Have to agree. Being slightly controversial, I think we may have stayed up last year with Stockdale in goal for more games.

Stocko has raised the level to be sure…added confidence to our back 3/4 as well