Skip to content

January transfer window - where do you think we strengthen?

Comments

• I think you could pick out a flaw in any player's game (harder with some than others, but if you looked hard enough...) and say that they'll cost at some point.

• Ooh this could be an interesting topic. The one player we don't rate as much as everyone else all loves, let's be honest, we all probably have one !

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Ooh this could be an interesting topic. The one player we don't rate as much as everyone else all loves, let's be honest, we all probably have one !

Gape. Too careless after winning possession.

• I've never thought JJ is particularly good at penalties

• Quite a few people have said since the Pompey miss that he never looks convincing, and I can see that. But apparently he's only missed something like 7/40.

• Agree re JJ on pens.

He’s missed quite a lot now. He’s got a hell of a left foot I don’t know why he doesn’t just blast them all instead of gambling that the keeper doesn’t go the same way.

• For balance I should add that I described JJ as the best corner taker in the world as recently as the Morecambe hone game

Just feel the keeper's always got a chance on his penalties. All that said, he didn't get his usual elevation on the last one. I think he probably just miss-hit it. If he'd got a bit of lift on it he'd have scored

• He's scored 22/29 in the league, broken down as follows:

L2 7/9
    L1 11/16
    Champ 4/4

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Ooh this could be an interesting topic. The one player we don't rate as much as everyone else all loves, let's be honest, we all probably have one !

Horgan - No end product

• I'd imagine the the £1m we got for Uche was largely to bring in Vokes.
    Boro will want to recoup some of that. Letting him go on loan would not be beneficial to either party if they don't see a future for him.

• edited November 2021

@mooneyman said:

@HolmerBlue said:

Horgan - No end product

That's just factually incorrect! Take out Bayo - who's barely played any minutes, so his figures are somewhat skewed - and he's our biggest creator from open play. I don't understand what more he's supposed to do.

• Mccarthy.... can't cross (Saturdays asset was a hung up lofty hit, Vokes did amazingly well to score from it), can't defend and runs around like a dim spaniel.

• @perfidious_albion said:

@drcongo said:
    He's certainly a weird choice of player to have a go at, especially in multiple threads at any given opportunity. I'm going with £7 pie incident too.

I always seem to have one player who everyone else thinks my dislike of is irrational, which here may be the case. But he just gets to me - the strutting around, the not interacting with the crowd on goal celebrations, the strolling off the park at the end of the game without walking round, the billy big bollocks YouTube stuff. Winding myself up now, better stop and have me tea.
    Oh and he is one paced and slow on the turn and it will cost us at some point……….

Strange I’ve watched some of his YouTube stuff and he’s not particularly controversial, they are mostly about his training regime.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    I always seem to have one player who everyone else thinks my dislike of is irrational, which here may be the case.

Fair enough, as @HolmerBlue said we probably all have one. I never got Gape until he had a really sparkling game not so long ago and thought "aha!, that's what everyone sees in him!", but since then he's reverted to what I never really got. I've resigned myself to just being in a very small minority.

• I don’t get the hype around Gape either, but so many others do I figure I must be missing something too!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@mooneyman said:

@HolmerBlue said:

Horgan - No end product

That's just factually incorrect! Take out Bayo - who's barely played any minutes, so his figures are somewhat skewed - and he's our biggest creator from open play. I don't understand what more he's supposed to do.

I'd love to see the stats that back that up? I think Horgan had a maximum of three assists last season? And I don't think he's had huge amounts this season thus far (willing to be corrected, of course).

When you compare his output and threat to that of Mehmeti on Saturday, then Mehmeti is head and shoulders above him. When Mehmeti gets the ball, you instantly move to the edge of your seat. Hopefully he can get a run of games now.

I appreciate the system changed on Saturday but I'd have Anis in that 10 role over Horgan every single time.

• @Commoner said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@mooneyman said:

@HolmerBlue said:

Horgan - No end product

I'd love to see the stats that back that up? I think Horgan had a maximum of three assists last season? And I don't think he's had huge amounts this season thus far (willing to be corrected, of course).

When you compare his output and threat to that of Mehmeti on Saturday, then Mehmeti is head and shoulders above him. When Mehmeti gets the ball, you instantly move to the edge of your seat. Hopefully he can get a run of games now.

I appreciate the system changed on Saturday but I'd have Anis in that 10 role over Horgan every single time.

There are intangibles which you can't necessarily quantify - and I agree with you on Mehmeti after Saturday - but Horgan is very creative. I'll go through the numbers properly when I get a moment.

• @mooneyman said:

@HolmerBlue said:

Horgan - No end product

See, I'm the opposite, Horgan for me should be in the team. Beggining of the season him and McCleary just behind and either side of Vokes was working great.

I'm not sure I should say this as I'm bound to get stick as everyone else loves him. But for me it's Thompson, I'm not saying I don't like him I do, but I always think everyone going on about him is an over reaction

• @Lloyd2084 @drcongo I've never got the hype either... always been terrified of the abuse I'd receive for saying it.

• edited November 2021

I think the positive thing is that we can all see these are good players - even if to different degrees in our own eyes. Ask fans of most other clubs and I'm sure there'd be at least one player they'd offload first thing tomorrow.

• And they're all lovely blokes obvs

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I think the positive thing is that we can all see these are good players - even if to different degrees in our own eyes. Ask fans of most other clubs and I'm sure there'd be at least one player they'd offload first thing tomorrow.

Go on the Sunderland forum after they've lost a game and.every single player is non league at best and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near their team.

I feel slightly bad now, I apologise, I never meant this to develop into having a go at any of our wonderful players ! I genuinely don't dislike any of them.

• @HolmerBlue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Go on the Sunderland forum after they've lost a game and.every single player is non league at best and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near their team.

I feel slightly bad now, I apologise, I never meant this to develop into having a go at any of our wonderful players ! I genuinely don't dislike any of them.

I don't think it comes across like that at all! It can be interesting to nit-pick.

• Might be being harsh but can't imagine Horgan's stats are particularly impressive. His pass completion on some days is almost as bad as his assist / goal rate which is a bit shocking for a talented international brought in for comparatively decent money, he's positive though and certain players do seem to set a tempo with an exciting pass and everyone else picks up a bit, preferable on the eye to watch someone float in a nice looking ball into space that nobody is on the end of rather than lump it forward to nobody in particular and have the defender thump it back.
    There was a game earlier in the season if I remember rightly where he set a couple of goals and you thought he might terrorise this division but then I think he got injured or went on international duty and hasn't done an awful lot since.

• @HolmerBlue said:

Other than his hair, I never quite bought into the Sergio Torres hype.

• @Chris said:

The most skilful player I’ve ever seen in a Wycombe shirt. Often to no great end product but just a joy to behold. The personification of ‘Gormania’ the most entertaining football ever at AP.

• @bigred87 said:
    @Lloyd2084 @drcongo I've never got the hype either... always been terrified of the abuse I'd receive for saying it.

Come on bigred who would abuse, honestly. People might disagree but who on here (besides the one sentence lower case barking seals) would 'abuse' you for stating an opinion?

• For my part there are some who just don't fit the tactics or the level.of football but I don't doubt the skills or quality of character of our present squad. I cannot recall a player of the Ainsworth era I have thought looked like he could not be arsed since the last days of Dean Morgan. I sometimes fail to see what others do in Dom Gape but we are allowed to.

• @Chris said:

@HolmerBlue said:

You ought to have all your privileges as a Wycombe Wanderers fan revoked.

• @drcongo said:

@perfidious_albion said:
    I always seem to have one player who everyone else thinks my dislike of is irrational, which here may be the case.

Fair enough, as @HolmerBlue said we probably all have one. I never got Gape until he had a really sparkling game not so long ago and thought "aha!, that's what everyone sees in him!", but since then he's reverted to what I never really got. I've resigned myself to just being in a very small minority.

Under 5ft?