Skip to content

Match day thread: Bolton

Comments

• @ChasHarps said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LX1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LX1 said:
    Stop claiming we are all old @ReturnToSenda ?

?

If you remember Zippy from 'Raimbow' we are the same generation brother

Ok, who is the gobbiest Wycombe player of all time?

Got to be Georgie Borg.

Tony Sorrell, whom allegedly had a fight with another Wycombe after only 30 mins of playing.

• Steve Claridge

• Claridge wins shortest socks

• Tom Williams I suppose, although not necessarily on the pitch.

• Hang on, just googled some pics and he only had one short sock. What was that all about?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Hang on, just googled some pics and he only had one short sock. What was that all about?

Metal plate in one leg I believe.

• The worst I can remember was Gary Toll, a big centre forward but lacked pace,courage,work rate and ability.

That has brought back some really bad memories! I think you have nailed his attributes though!

• Ok, who is the gobbiest Wycombe player of all time?

Got to be George Borg

• edited November 2021

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Hang on, just googled some pics and he only had one short sock. What was that all about?

Metal plate in one leg I believe.

Ohhh, never knew

• Lots of forwards / wingers getting mentions here. Mike Williamson was well above the level we were at when he was with us.

• I remember we had a left back in a game in League Two called Charlie Comyn-Platt

Spent the whole first half skewing misplaced balls out of play with the crowd getting increasingly on his back.

Substituted and never saw him play at home again.

Iffy Onura and Zema Abbey were real low points too.

• Iffy Onoura is currently the Equalities Coach for the Professional Footballers Association.

• @PJS said:

Ok, who is the gobbiest Wycombe player of all time?

Got to be George Borg

Feel like Peter Murphy would like to be in this conversation, and let's not forget Scotty Kashket already.

• Let’s not forget Scotty Kashket already. My life!

• Ok, who is the gobbiest Wycombe player of all time?

I'd say Roger Johnson could be in with a shout. When I was a season-ticket holder in the family stand, he'd always be heard appealing or arguing with the ref in language that was unsuitable for young family members to hear!

• Who do you reckon is the least disciplined player to play for Wycombe?

A serious contender must be Jason Cousins? His challenge that's on Youtube which only recieved a yellow stands out. I do also remember him giving Micheal Owen a mouthful after the young Englishman went to ground very easily at the FA Cup semi-final

• @bigred87 said:
    The worst.... keeper in the mid 90s left for Bristol Rovers , can't remember his name.

Brian Parkin?

• @Otter87 said:
    Who do you reckon is the least disciplined player to play for Wycombe?

A serious contender must be Jason Cousins? His challenge that's on Youtube which only recieved a yellow stands out. I do also remember him giving Micheal Owen a mouthful after the young Englishman went to ground very easily at the FA Cup semi-final

Those two incidents don't define Jason Cousins as a player or a person for me. He learnt loads from the Doncaster tackle and as a more experienced player gave a totally valid assessment of Owens cheating to him after a dive. Jason was great for us and is not part of this discussion at all.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Otter87 said:
    Who do you reckon is the least disciplined player to play for Wycombe?

Those two incidents don't define Jason Cousins as a player or a person for me. He learnt loads from the Doncaster tackle and as a more experienced player gave a totally valid assessment of Owens cheating to him after a dive. Jason was great for us and is not part of this discussion at all.

Here here @Right_in_the_Middle.

File Jason Cousins under ‘hard man’ or ‘legend’ but never ‘least disciplined’.

• @Right_in_the_Middle & @Lloyd2084
    Please don't get me wrong, in his playing days and when I was lucky enough to be a mascot at one of the games, Jason Cousins was my favourite player for his firm but fair style of play and that he was a Wycombe man through and through.
    However he did have a mean streak in him that could rival Vinnie Jones on Jason's bad day

• How about Roy Fairchild who played a few games for Wycombe in the 80s - (he also used to play Wycombe Sunday football in the days when that was still a thriving thing) - proper pub scrapper who allegedly on more than one occasion just started fighting like he was in a pub brawl in the middle of Sunday league matches - I could be wrong but I think police had to be called at least once. I knew a bloke who used to drink with him occasionally (he himself had been involved in a few Wycombe fans brawls in the days when the London mob members based in Wycombe would turn up for our “glamour” first or second round ties and cause havoc (remember them chasing Colchester fans off the terrace in the FA cup tie in 1985, setting fire to the Lincoln fans minibus in the middle of a non league match and attacking the Leek goalie in the middle of a match - all very 1980s) anyway back to Fairchild who was a genuine hard nut who’d you’d never want to spill the pint of .

• Sadly, Roy Fairchild died at a ridiculously young age. I know his brother, Steve. He recently replaced the flat roof on our extension and did a very good job at a competitive rate.

• I don't know which category he'd fall into, if any of the above, but Alan Beeton's son posted on the facebook group today!

We're definitely all getting very old here!

• Alan Beeton is on my list of players who didn't quite make it under Sanchez, but might have absolutely thrived under Ainsworth. He's just below Stuart Roberts and Andy Reilly.

• @micra said:
    Sadly, Roy Fairchild died at a ridiculously young age. I know his brother, Steve. He recently replaced the flat roof on our extension and did a very good job at a competitive rate.

I didn’t even know him personally just through the stories my friend told me but that is sad news - I think my friend knew him through the building trade.i know he was hard as nails but maybe some of the stories - I actually read about one or two in the Bucks Free Press so they were true but maybe were just due to hotheadedness.

• @floyd said:
    Alan Beeton is on my list of players who didn't quite make it under Sanchez, but might have absolutely thrived under Ainsworth. He's just below Stuart Roberts and Andy Reilly.

....Martin Lee, Ben Townsend...Max Kretschmar?

• Max had/is having a great career in the Conference isn’t he? Ben Townsend appeared in an FA Cup semi final and then was out of the game entirely about three years later. Martyn Lee just faded away, no idea where he went after leaving us. Kingstonian maybe? But yes, three good shouts. Steve Williams too maybe.

• @floyd said:
    Max had/is having a great career in the Conference isn’t he? Ben Townsend appeared in an FA Cup semi final and then was out of the game entirely about three years later. Martyn Lee just faded away, no idea where he went after leaving us. Kingstonian maybe? But yes, three good shouts. Steve Williams too maybe.

No dig against any of those intended btw, just meant they didn't go on to be first team regulars, they got further in their careers than many.

• No dig at these players from me either. I just feel like GA gets the very best out of players, while Sanchez often didn’t. That’s why Stuart Roberts is top of the list, he’d have loved to play under Ainsworth.

• @floyd said:
    No dig at these players from me either. I just feel like GA gets the very best out of players, while Sanchez often didn’t. That’s why Stuart Roberts is top of the list, he’d have loved to play under Ainsworth.

Yeah, from about 2 weeks in he'd have loved to play literally anywhere else for any other manager. Funny how things change that we were able to nick their best youngsters back then.