Skip to content

January transfer window - where do you think we strengthen?

Where do gasroomers think we need strengthening, if at all?

Surprised we did not made use of the loan market this summer gone. A lot of our successful signings have been loans.

I for one think we need a centre back and a quick nippy striker (a la Kashket).

Comments

• Hang on, do we know if Rob has located his chequebook yet?

• Someone who can stick the ball underneath the cross bar and between the posts , a bit like Scott Mcgleish.

• @Gordon_Ottershaw said:
    Someone who can stick the ball underneath the cross bar and between the posts , a bit like Scott Mcgleish.

Only seen Parsons a couple of times but he looks capable on both fronts. Worth some game time for sure.

• Don't think there will be many coming in tbh

• I’m more bothered about keeping what we have.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I’m more bothered about keeping what we have.

Who do you think could potentially leave? Stewart maybe?

I do worry about Taff - doesn't always look happy to be here.

• edited November 2021

I think it's too difficult to speculate at the moment. Because there are no rumours around at the moment, I dont think we should be "expecting" to loose anyone. However, rumours can pop up last minute so possibly an unexpected departure for someone?

• Strengthen and play like Stockport County did tonight!

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Strengthen and play like Stockport County did tonight!

Stockport were outstanding. Attacking wise they seemed to have lots of options. Very impressed. Hopefully it’s taken a lot out of Bolton who had a couple of very decent players (Santos) but apart from that struggled.

• We need a CB and a wing back who can cross a ball plus that elusive finisher. Three quality loanees should do it. However, I can’t see us getting any new recruits.

• What became of the Ali Al-Hamadi rumours? Or can we not sign him until January - don't know when he was released or left Swansea but would affect when he could join if it was outside of the summer window.

• edited November 2021

Do we have any spare slots in the squad limit?

If we dont then who do we de-register to allow us to bring in new players?

All players over 21 (including ALL loanees regardless of age) count towards the squad limit, so that sort of limits the options we have.

• At what point in January do we start questioning the fact we have not strengthened in January?

• If the ‘ management’ are thinking of bringing in reinforcements, as well as new players , can we get someone who understands what is a good quality food offering at a reasonable price !!!!

• I hear Ainsley Harriott is available on a free

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Gordon_Ottershaw said:
    Someone who can stick the ball underneath the cross bar and between the posts , a bit like Scott Mcgleish.

Only seen Parsons a couple of times but he looks capable on both fronts. Worth some game time for sure.

I smiled at the reference to “both fronts” and scrolled back to see if Parsons looked to have another quality in addition to being able to put the ball in the net !

• @thecatwwfc said:

Surprised we did not made use of the loan market this summer gone. A lot of our successful signings have been loans.

I too wondered why we didn’t venture into the loan market. I think the reason is probably because they tend to move on at the end of the season, especially if the borrowing club has been relegated.

Also the approach now (the business model) seems to be to develop young players with a view to getting them into the first team squad and, ultimately, like Brentford, for example, to profit from one or two sales. By contrast, loan players (other than those whose clubs continue to pay their wages), can add significantly to running costs.

• Alfie Mawson on loan would do me. The RWB position looks a bit of a problem only because of the quality, or lack of it. Kai Kai looks like a player who could be a solution despite struggling with the defensive side of it. He could be this season’s Fred?

• Quality of crossing

• Right wing back and a pacy striker…both on loan would be fine.

• @micra said:

@thecatwwfc said:

I too wondered why we didn’t venture into the loan market. I think the reason is probably because they tend to move on at the end of the season, especially if the borrowing club has been relegated.

Also the approach now (the business model) seems to be to develop young players with a view to getting them into the first team squad and, ultimately, like Brentford, for example, to profit from one or two sales. By contrast, loan players (other than those whose clubs continue to pay their wages), can add significantly to running costs.

Very good point. And also possibly hinder youth players development by taking their place as such

• Think we just signed a pacy striker today

• That’s what we want to mix it up…

• Left footed CB

• edited November 2021

Can always do with an extra body in midfield with the battering that department takes, but if we've moved on from loans then that might be tricky (not sure if that's a policy, as such, though). We're not in desperate need of anything, though - might even be the first signing-less January since idk when.

• I reckon we need another Left Wing Back who can cover for Jordan. As much as I love JJ, he isn't at an age or physicals to do the job and we've seen that Kaikai is out of his depth in his own 3rd. If we could get someone who could play on either side, that might help us out. Someone like Gunter from Charlton (but younger!)

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Think we just signed a pacy striker today

Do we know much about him. He’s not small. Looks strong. Anything else. Clearly signed as a first team option from the quotes.

• @Otter87 said:
    I reckon we need another Left Wing Back who can cover for Jordan. As much as I love JJ, he isn't at an age or physicals to do the job and we've seen that Kaikai is out of his depth in his own 3rd. If we could get someone who could play on either side, that might help us out. Someone like Gunter from Charlton (but younger!)

Wheeler or Horgan could fill in, although we do lack left-footers in general. Possibly also depends on whether or not we stick with 4atb now we've reverted.

• edited November 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Can always do with an extra body in midfield with the battering that department takes, but if we've moved on from loans then that might be tricky (not sure if that's a policy, as such, though). We're not in desperate need of anything, though - might even be the first signing-less January since idk when.

Having thought about midfield again, I think we're actually fine. Thompson, Scowen and Gape are all broadly similar players, Wheeler can be trusted to fulfil any MF role, and Pendlebury isn't miles off the standard even if he's got quite a lot to learn yet (and he'd only be a last resort in an injury crisis anyway). McCarthy worked surprisingly well as an 8 when he had to play there last season, too. In which case I think maybe a left-footed wide option, but I'm half-expecting a business-free window.

• I think we've got enough as well...and doubt we will do much business. A club of our size cannot cover every position like for like and be ready for every possible injury permutation. Pendlebury has scored a couple at least! (Although of course if The Player becomes available...)