Skip to content

Match day thread: Bolton

Comments

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Stats have him down as hitting the woodwork today (only the second time he has in the league all season) - when was the one apart from hitting both posts in the first half? Cause that got flagged for offside.

Don’t think it was flagged for offside.

Linesman only put his flag up when it crossed the line for a goal kick.

• Like all of our recent losses (arguably even Ipswich) a tight game against a good side which thank the gods we won. The problem with our attacks is that we get caught on the break...but that's what Stocko is there for. Bolton were chasing down every ball and closing down every player which meant that sometimes Mehmeti and Hanlon held on a fraction too long...but the skills of Mehmeti and McLeary had them bricking it on the left. Pleased for Vokes...especially as it looked like the ball was going over the bar. Their keeper also played a blinder!

• @ReturnToSenda twice against Hartlepool in the week, plus today (which wasn’t offside)

• The Vokes effort off the post was nowhere near offside. Lino flagged as the ball had just gone out of play before Mccarthy crossed it back in.

• Fair enough - in which case he is/was just extremely unlucky. But hopefully the posts have taken enough of a battering now...

• It was Vokes himself who was attempting to cross the ball back in, not McCarthy

• @Twizz said:
    The goal was fantastic, thought for all the world it was looping too far and over the top, I'd even started to sigh at another missed chance. Joyous then when it ripples the net.

My angle for the goal was not very different from the cameras and I was absolutely sure it landed on the roof of the net, and it still looks like it when I watch the video.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Fair enough - in which case he is/was just extremely unlucky. But hopefully the posts have taken enough of a battering now...

Sorry, misread. If the ball had gone out then that post hit didn't officially happen. Either way, he has been unlucky of late.

• Determined win. Thought Stockdale was very solid today and Mehmeti very good. I didn’t think Bolton were that great and their keeper seemed determined to give us a throw in from most of his tortuous goal kicks. GMac really is a class above, the game just slows down around him when he’s on the ball.

The bin fire thing was just awful but the post game ones were rather decent - although I’m not watching them unless it’s a win or a come from behind draw

• A shout out to Nick Freeman on co-comms today too. Really entertaining, and a great rapport with @bluntphil from the off.

• edited November 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Fair enough - in which case he is/was just extremely unlucky. But hopefully the posts have taken enough of a battering now...

Sorry, misread. If the ball had gone out then that post hit didn't officially happen. Either way, he has been unlucky of late.

No, Vokes shot, it hit one post, went across the goal line, clipped the other post, then Vokes ran to it and tried to cross it back in, but it had just rolled out. At that point the lino put his flag up.

• @PrinceOfCrowell said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

No, Vokes shot, it hit one post, went across the goal line, clipped the other post, then Vokes ran to it and tried to cross it back in, but it had just rolled out. At that point the lino put his flag up.

Yeah, finally realised after watching the highlights haha. At least he got his (well-deserved) goal!

• All time league records v
    Man C 100% win
    Bolton 100% win

Our grip on Lancashire is stronger than a 19th century mill owner

• Have also never lost to Man United

• LX1LX1
    edited November 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Have also never lost to Man United

In the short message format can only include the relevant clubs

• Great to see my fav poet tonight

• Expensive burgers do attract some people

• i was shocked at how much the burgers was at 7 pounds is disgraceful for my first ever wycombe game.

atmosphere was awful only woke up till we scored.

on the plus side at least we won the game roll on plymouth and wednesday away

• @LX1 said:
    All time league records v
    Man C 100% win
    Bolton 100% win

Our grip on Lancashire is stronger than a 19th century mill owner

Bolton have never scored against us, either.

• @mrwiggy123 said:
    i was shocked at how much the burgers was at 7 pounds is disgraceful for my first ever wycombe game.

@mrwiggy123 I have a feeling that our drummer friend has returned...? You are the only one who has mentioned the atmosphere, we won today hopefully that gives us some momentum moving into the Dec set of fixtures.

• @Otter87 said:

@mrwiggy123 said:
    i was shocked at how much the burgers was at 7 pounds is disgraceful for my first ever wycombe game.

@mrwiggy123 I have a feeling that our drummer friend has returned...? You are the only one who has mentioned the atmosphere, we won today hopefully that gives us some momentum moving into the Dec set of fixtures.

Thought he was a Pompey fan now? Surely he was at Fratton Park.?

• We've said it a lot in recent times, because we've got the best squad we've ever had, but was yesterday's the strongest bench Wycombe Wanderers have ever had? It must be close

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@Otter87 said:

@mrwiggy123 said:

Thought he was a Pompey fan now? Surely he was at Fratton Park.?

No he was ‘out on the cold’ standing at the bottom of the field next to the car park with a great view of the home end penalty spot and not much else, oh and the fireworks. Perhaps his moniker should be @billynomates, except of course he did have the faithful drum as company.

• Why do you have to be so mean?

• I thought we edged it on quality but we do like to give the opposition an opportunity. I did think our crowd was a little on the quiet side but I put it down to anxiety that we weren’t going to turn around a disappointing run of results

• You'd hope our benches were pretty sturdy the amount spent on them

• The days have gone when we could boast about 'wembley sized pitch and European style dugouts'. In 2021 it's all about blinding floodlights, WiFi and fireworks

• Very enjoyable day out this one, a bit nervy but terrace in decent voice in parts, no probs at all getting into the ground early, no queue at the small bar in the Vere, good if overpriced food from funky elephant. Bin show will not be remembered fondly, wonder if there was an issue with the fireworks so they weren't at the same time.
    Noticed from the replay that our pen came from Bolton doing the stupid goalie passing to your "split" central defenders deep in your own box thing and coming under pressure immediately. Think we must have had quite a lot of joy from that this season.

• Nevermind the result, yesterday's performance was very much welcome after some worrying displays I'm recent weeks. His goal aside, Vokes was outstanding as the target man linking up play with measured knock downs. The contrast between him today and him playing up front alongside Akinfenwa could hardly be more stark. McCleary just being on the bench was massive for us, hopefully he can stay fit and won't be subject to the same thuggery Crewe inflicted on him.

One little observation is that Hanlon trying to win free kicks by going to ground completely unconvincingly almost cost us again. He needs to cut that out, have some faith in his ability and stay on his feet. Other than that I like him very much as a forward, and could be a key player for us.

• Agree that Vokes was excellent today, he looks to be getting physically stronger every time I see him.

The introduction of GMac gave everyone a lift on and off the pitch. Mehmeti, who showed great character after missing the penalty, took his performance to a higher level with GMac by his side.

Hanlan impressed for a few games but is starting to lose possession far too often for my liking. I would love to see a 3 of GMac, Mehmeti and Horgan playing behind Vokes on Tuesday with 4 at the back and 2 holding midfielders. COYB