Skip to content

Match day thread: Bolton

Comments

• Is it one of those strange MENSA puzzles where you have to identify which shape comes next in the series?

• Favourite badge of the season so far more me

• Have you seen a doctor recently @ReturnToSenda?

• @bookertease said:
    Have you seen a doctor recently @ReturnToSenda?

Nope - you can only get phone appointments these days

• It will be interesting to see the approach to today. In the past when we hit a patch like this GA has often resorted to safety first. I think we may see a lot less of the wing backs bombing forwards today. Could see Vokes getting a rest and Hanlan starting up front on his own.

Wouldn’t be that surprised if it ended 0-0

• Could you figure out what it meant if you didn’t know it was Bolton Wanderers FC? A triumph of style over substance.

• Looks like an award winning artistic manhole cover to me.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Could you figure out what it meant if you didn’t know it was Bolton Wanderers FC? A triumph of style over substance.

You could say similar for a lot of clubs!

• Vokes won't get a huge amount of change out of Ricardo Santos, so there is perhaps some logic to resting him and maybe throwing a curveball with Wheeler as a different kind of aerial threat - but I don't think that will happen.

• @Shev said:
    Looks like an award winning artistic manhole cover to me.

Now that you have mentioned it, I can't see it any other way!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Vokes won't get a huge amount of change out of Ricardo Santos, so there is perhaps some logic to resting him and maybe throwing a curveball with Wheeler as a different kind of aerial threat - but I don't think that will happen.

My local team scored 5 against his defence in the week - Vokes should keep him busy even if he doesn’t get much change out of him

• Not expecting massive changes but quality of ball will be very important today, we've got 4 forwards and a number of defenders who can hassle and score in the air if we can get it in front of them. If they spend the whole game grasping at balls behind them or trying to beat 4 men and flick on to nobody we're screwed.

• @HomerLone said:
    Is it one of those strange MENSA puzzles where you have to identify which shape comes next in the series?

It's Mensa, not MENSA, it's the latin word for table, definitely not an acronym. I think the badge is a work of typographic agility that is evocative of the agility of their accountants.

• ps - with Bolton playing a day later than us and having an extra 30mins on top, I am hopeful that a high energy Chairboys performance will carry the day.

• @PJS said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Vokes won't get a huge amount of change out of Ricardo Santos, so there is perhaps some logic to resting him and maybe throwing a curveball with Wheeler as a different kind of aerial threat - but I don't think that will happen.

My local team scored 5 against his defence in the week - Vokes should keep him busy even if he doesn’t get much change out of him

Tbh I think Wheeler will start in some capacity regardless - assuming Scowen and Gape are both missing.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@PJS said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Tbh I think Wheeler will start in some capacity regardless - assuming Scowen and Gape are both missing.

I think Scowen will play based on GA’s comments the other night (although might be a bluff). Wheeler I agree though would make sense to come in, has looked bright recently off the bench

• @jessvl1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@PJS said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I think Scowen will play based on GA’s comments the other night (although might be a bluff). Wheeler I agree though would make sense to come in, has looked bright recently off the bench

Oh really? Fingers crossed!

• I'm going for an Ian Evatt red card today. Miserable git.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@jessvl1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@PJS said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Can see Wheeler coming on with Bayo for an absolute mad last 10mins again with Vokes, Taf and Hanlan all still on.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@jessvl1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@PJS said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Can see Wheeler coming on with Bayo for an absolute mad last 10mins again with Vokes, Taf and Hanlan all still on.

And all of them hitting the woodwork

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@jessvl1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@PJS said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

And all of them hitting the woodwork

The huge positive is that we've played pretty poorly in the main recently, but still had the chances to at least draw all of the games, and probably should have won a few too.
    So imagine when we do play well again :)

• edited November 2021

FYI one of the main industrial estate car parks is closed (the one at Stonecraft)

• I feel optimistic today! Obviously would take a squeaky bummed 1-0 win but would be delighted to win by 3 or something. Hoping GMac will be back on the bench today.

• I am thinking an unlucky 2-2 draw, followed by a great performance at Plymouth.

• What formation will that be?

• edited November 2021

Horgan back on the bench !?

• Is it 4-4-2 with Hanlan and Vokes as the 2? Or 3-4-3 with McCarthy at CB and Obita and Mehmeti wide?