Skip to content

New record for the wrong reasons

Not sure the marketing or management team will be plugging this new record much !!

Comments

• After 5,500 Wycombe fans were at the midweek Ipswich match the crowd on Tuesday is simply staggering.

Nearly 3 quarters of those at Ipswich choose not to go. I know some season ticket holders would be counted but not go but it is a massive drop.

Is the FA Cup so unexciting?
    Did the experience at Ipswich put so many off?
    Is four home games in a few days just too many?

• edited November 2021

I suspect it’s the last one - least appealing match amongst a series of key home games. I bought tickets but didn’t go, as I’d double booked with a Paul Weller gig. Wasn’t hard choosing what to go to and what to miss with games on the Saturdays either side.

• The worst EVER attendance for an F.A. Cup proper round match in our history.

That is quite an indictment. As already mentioned, there are a variety of reasons for such an embarrassing low crowd.

My own non-attendance stems from the November 2019 Tranmere Rovers replay debacle. The team selection from the original tie at Hartlepool United acted as a reminder that we know only pay lip service to this competition and it would be detrimental to my mental health if I went to the game.

It feels like the F.A. Cup has been given such a consistent kicking since 1999 that it should be put out of its misery. Then you watch last night’s scenes in the replay at Edgeley Park and it feels like it has a magic that cannot be killed by any amount of kicking.

• Presumably you scrolled back through Bolton and Stockport line-ups in recent FA Cup history so that you could be comfortable enjoying it?

• I don’t support either of those clubs so it’s not the same. I do however cover Bolton for work and whilst I consider Ian Evatt an arrogant fool, he only made two changes, one of which was due to illness.

• I wonder how Forino feels about his goal and penalty win being part of disrespecting the competition.

• @Shev said:
    I wonder how Forino feels about his goal and penalty win being part of disrespecting the competition.

I doubt he was too pleased in getting dropped for the replay after his efforts either!

• Forino hasn't particularly impressed in the other games he has played in.

• Chris Forino-Joseph can be rightfully proud of his performance in the first tie. I am sure he recognises he is not a first-choice and supporters wanting our strongest side to play in the FA Cup is not showing any disrespect.

• I thought he would earn a start in the replay to be honest.

• He was warming up early in the second half, I thought he was coming on for Bayo

• Rightly or wrongly if you make lots of changes for a cup tie some people think you aren't taking it seriously, and there will be an expectation amongst some fans that the replay would be the same. Didn't happen in this case but team isn't announced early enough to make a big change to people's decision making.
    Bigger factors are lots of home games in a month, poor form, cup game not covered by season ticket, colder evening than previous. The fact we had so many for the Ipswich game probably worked against us as it sucks up all those who don't go regularly.
    Transport for me pretty much rules out midweek games.

• Tuesday night was nowhere near as cold as the Ipswich game. I think the fact that so many of our fans are season ticket holders means that they have to pay and get an extra ticket, and the perceived extra effort involved for a match against unglamorous opposition on a weeknight just isn't worth it.

• Everyone had to pay
    It was a school night
    It was cold
    It is near Christmas and money is tight

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Tuesday night was nowhere near as cold as the Ipswich game. I think the fact that so many of our fans are season ticket holders means that they have to pay and get an extra ticket, and the perceived extra effort involved for a match against unglamorous opposition on a weeknight just isn't worth it.

Not heard a fan described more like a customer than the last part of your explanation. I go and see my club play when I can so don’t think I have ever thought of ‘perceived extra effort’ before. I think I follow now

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Everyone had to pay
    It was a school night
    It was cold
    It is near Christmas and money is tight

Also a lot of people were moaning about how disgraceful the last game was...shameful I think someone said...which might have put people off paying again to be disgusted and appalled by our ongoing denigration of the competition. And it wasn't Arsenal