Skip to content

Exeter Bradford cup tie to be replayed

Apparently Exeter used six subs. As the error is deemed a refereeing one rather than a club one, a replay ensues.
It sort of mirrors a strange event earlier in the competition between Bridgewater and Brixham which was replayed after a Bridgewater player got a second yellow later in the game but was sin binned rather than sent off and so returned to the pitch for a couple of minutes injury time.
Most enjoyable aspect of the game being replayed rather than Exeter being thrown out is the fact that Bradford’s manager is Derek Adams.

Comments

• Yes the referee appears to have made a mistake, but surely Exeter have a bigger culpability for a breach of the rules by putting on an unauthorised sub. If a club plays an ineligible player they automatically get thrown out. Isn't putting on a sixth sub effectively playing an ineligible player so the same rule should apply.

• Apparently the officials repeatedly told them they could do it

• The Bridgewater precedent is that if the ref messes up its a replay. In that game apparently the Bridgewater management were telling the ref he couldn't do the sin-binning of their own player but he went ahead anyway.

• edited November 2021

Surely no sin bins in the F A Cup?

• I know that
    You know that
    The referee in the Bridgewater game didn’t know that (or at least forgot)

(There are sinbins in league games at that level)

• I thought the referees decision was final as far as the result of the game was concerned

• @PJS said:
    I thought the referees decision was final as far as the result of the game was concerned

If the ref said to us in Saturday we could only field two players and the opposition could field eleven would you be happy with that?

• Not sure I’m actually saying that @StrongestTeam. We would of course challenge that at the time. This is after the event - Exeter challenged, Ref confirmed, no reason for doubt, game ended. Question is where would it end - ball out of play before goal given, overruled red cards none of those change result of game

• @PJS said:
    I thought the referees decision was final as far as the result of the game was concerned

Law 5 states

“Decisions of the referee
    Decisions will be made to the best of the referee's ability according to the Laws of the Game and the 'spirit of the game' and will be based on the opinion of the referee who has the discretion to take appropriate action within the framework of the Laws of the Game.

The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play, including whether or not a goal is scored and the result of the match, are final. The decisions of the referee, and all other match officials, must always be respected.”

However the governing body for the match, as far as I know, retains the authority to accept the result or not depending on extenuating factors. Extenuating factors may be ineligible players, game under time due to weather/injury or other issues. The governing body then decides to alter points awarded for the result or mandating a replay.

• I wonder what @eric_plant would have made of that refereeing decision.

• I've never said referees don't make mistakes

• And I didn't say you had.

• Oh right. Well, it was a mistake. Obviously

• Are the fans and club allowed to complain about that mistake after the game tho?

• They can do what they want, as can any fan of any club.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@PJS said:

If the ref said to us in Saturday we could only field two players and the opposition could field eleven would you be happy with that?

A few years ago i would have said yes to that as long as our two players were Noel Ashford and Barry Silkman.