Skip to content

Match day thread: Hartlepool (FA Cup, Replay)

Comments

• @peterparrotface said:
    Really need to get behind the lads on Saturday

100% agree, now is the time to really get behind the team. The last thing an out of form team needs is a tense atmosphere. Time to sing your heart out for the lads!!

BTW Bolton just going into extra time in an excellent cup replay with Stockport

• Good news that Bolton has gone to extra time. They score a lot of goals but concede a lot too. Every time I look at their scores it's either 3-2, 3-3 or 4-3.

• @drcongo said:
    Don't want to start a fight about it, but genuine question - why would it be any of our business?

Why not throw in how poor the ref was last night and what a great servant to the club @glasshalffull has been for the full house?

• Stockport having a night they’ll never forget.

• The magic of the FA cup

• The dichotomy here is that we call Wanderers a ‘club’ which suggests togetherness, referred to as ‘us and we are’ rather than ‘it is’ ie a sense of shared emotional investment and ownership. Which might explain why Chairfolk feel they should be closely involved and informed of the status of the clubs assets is it’s players (& indeed the availability of chips and Bovril) etc etc.

• *ie its players ……..

• Poor old GMac fate of the season resting on his (one of them injured) shoulders!

• @drcongo said:
    I think I probably do, but it's not one that makes any sense to me if it's the old "this club owes me for something something".

Edit: I'm trying to think of any parallel, where the general public / paying customer has any kind of right or demand to know about the health of a private company's employee, but I can't think of one. Does this happen in any other walk of life?

The one that springs to mind with me is teachers. If a supply teacher is brought in to cover a teacher for a prolonged period of time (for whatever reason) I may have (when my kids were of that age) felt it would be helpful (and legitimate) to ask how long the supply teacher was likely to be there for.

I think however if the head had replied that it was “none of my f”””ing business” that would have been a fair response

• …..and University education even more so, paying £9k p.a. x 3 years to be taught on Zoom and then lecturers go on strike next week, if it were my kids I might be asking for some accountability.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Poor old GMac fate of the season resting on his (one of them injured) shoulders!

Maybe his nickname should be Atlas...

• In recent games (Ipswich, Burton, Portsmouth and Hartlepool) League and Cup, we have appeared to play massive amounts of L2 head tennis, passing back to the keeper for a long L2 ball forward (where we lose possession) and running up the (often vacant) wings, just to pause, turn and play back to no avail or surprise to us fans. Yes we've hit the post a few times but WTH? I don't (clearly) understand the technicalities of the game but I love to spectate and support. Hard to do when we insist on playing like this. Ugly success is one thing but where is the ex Championship football we expected? Hoping to be proved wrong but with the total emasculation of the matchday experience for me (unless I consent to being ripped off) I turn up just for the actual game now and that enjoyment is also in suspension at present so hence my grumpiness. We now seem to be surrounded by managers and 'professionals' who know better how to run a club. I say to them, go to a few away games and appreciate the quick service at a reasonable price for reasonable food and drink that is so often available. We've such a long way to go haven't we? Perhaps it's all down to Covid.

• I think it's pretty normal for fans to want to know how long players are going to be out for. I don't mind if you disagree.

Just pleased we've managed to keep the injury updates away from opposition managers while he's been out though else we might have really struggled

• @ValleyWanderer you have probably outlined my feelings as well. I understand the Couhigs have done a lot to the ground etc but my match day experience as changed dramatically this season and certainly not for the better.

• edited November 2021

@ValleyWanderer said:
    Hoping to be proved wrong but with the total emasculation of the matchday experience for me (unless I consent to being ripped off) I turn up just for the actual game now and that enjoyment is also in suspension at present so hence my grumpiness. We now seem to be surrounded by managers and 'professionals' who know better how to run a club. I say to them, go to a few away games and appreciate the quick service at a reasonable price for reasonable food and drink that is so often available. We've such a long way to go haven't we? Perhaps it's all down to Covid.

Agree 100%. I find the 60-90 minutes between parking my car and taking my seat thoroughly miserable now and we're not into winter yet. I hate queuing so won't visit the tent or the Vere Suite. I just drink my flask in the car and kill time before my Lindy Lou pitstop. I have been to all the away games this season, highlights being the excellent, locally sourced pies at Fleetwood (£3) and the free coffee at Exeter. The only time there was a queue I didn't join was at Cheltenham. Everywhere else seemed to cope fine, even Man City. I stopped attending Adams Park for a while when crowds increased after the FA Cup Run. It became too much of a commitment (earlier arrival and slow getaway). Fireworks don't really do it for me. Just somewhere warm and dry to while away time with a couple of pints pre-kick off would suffice.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    The dichotomy here is that we call Wanderers a ‘club’ which suggests togetherness, referred to as ‘us and we are’ rather than ‘it is’ ie a sense of shared emotional investment and ownership. Which might explain why Chairfolk feel they should be closely involved and informed of the status of the clubs assets is it’s players (& indeed the availability of chips and Bovril) etc etc.

Decent coherent answer, thanks.

• Surely letting opposition fans know what refreshments are available in advance would give them an advantage? If they know they can get a beer just outside the ground before the game and chips and Bovril at half time, they'll be more upbeat and relaxed and will create an atmosphere that benefits their team.

• As long as we don’t go into details, like prices. That really would persuade them to seek sustenance outside the ground - eg at the Hour Glass and Linda’s trailer.

As I may have mentioned on here a couple of times, I tried to help an excellent local Italian pizza purveyor to get a pitch at Adams Park but to no avail. He is now doing very nicely, thank you, at Reading’s Madejski Stadium.

• I see that Oxford have unaccountably handed their opponents the advantage, presumably based on the misguided notion their paying supporters have a legitimate expectation that they should be informed about the players of their club.

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2021/november/alex-gorrin-injury/

• Bit different when it's season-ending, is it not?

• You know the next question don't you?

• If only the club had let us know about Freeman's season-ending injury we would know it was a season-ending injury.

• Strewth.

The amazing thing about this eternal debate for me is not so much that people who demonstrate daily on here their sharp wits and strong resistance to being duped, are content to be kept in the dark over players they pay to go and watch (Lord knows, they have even willingly paid when not able to watch), should be content to be kept in the dark - perhaps it's just that we've become so used to that now after years of the practice that we've all been worn down. No - it's that those people could even conceive of so tamely taking the practice of paying up and then being lied to - as in the McCleary case. I just don't believe that in any other aspect of their life they would take that.

• I can promise you that no lies were told about McCleary’s injury. It was thought that he might be ok for the following game but when the results of the scan on his injured shoulder came back it was evident that the injury was more serious than was first apparent.

• I think Freeman's contract extension and the nature of the injury made it fairly obvious he'd be out for the season.

• @our_frank Have you written to the club?

• It's not something I've ever got too angry about. Me knowing whether a player is going to be fit this Saturday or after Christmas isn't going to make any difference to their actual return date. That remains outside of my control whether I'm told or not, so I just assume the player will be unavailable and then get a nice surprise when they're named on the team sheet.

In fact, I used to get more annoyed by claims that people were 'close to fitness' followed by their non-appearance for a further three months (or that they had seemingly incurable colds).

• @arnos_grove said:
    It's not something I've ever got too angry about. Me knowing whether a player is going to be fit this Saturday or after Christmas isn't going to make any difference to their actual return date. That remains outside of my control whether I'm told or not, so I just assume the player will be unavailable and then get a nice surprise when they're named on the team sheet.

This is the crux of it for me

• @glasshalffull The scan came after the fitness test, I guess? Such credulousness does you no favours.