Skip to content

Notts County set a new National League attendance record

Being an international break weekend last Saturday, Notts County took the opportunity to promote their home game with Solihull Moors with cheap tickets & asking people to turn up & create a new record for the National League.

Fans did this in their droves and County’s 2-0 win was watched by 12,843 - a new National League attendance record. There were some very impressive crowds all round with a record 2,662 watching Wealdstone beat North London rivals Barnet 1-0.

Comments

• They will be getting bigger attendances than Notts Forest soon!!

• Well done them. Decent crowd at Wycombe on Saturday too.

• @mooneyman said:
    They will be getting bigger attendances than Notts Forest soon

• counts to ten *
  • @mooneyman You know perfectly well that it's Notty Forest

• £5 tickets definitely helped Notts cause

• It does highlight there’s a huge demand to watch football at the moment - at the right price. Nearly 13,000 for a Non-League game - it’s almost back to the 1950s. Or even Wycombe v Skelmersdale!

• edited November 2021

@mooneyman said:
    They will be getting bigger attendances than Notts Forest soon!!

No they won’t.

And I refuse to rise to the bait on the name…we’re a Rushcliffe based team these days while Notts County are based in the City of Nottingham.

• @Forest_Blue said:

@mooneyman said:

No they won’t.

And I refuse to rise to the bait on the name…we’re a Rushcliffe based team these days while Notts County are based in the City of Nottingham.

"These days"? You mean since 1898?

• Please, no 7000+ crowds at Wycombe as it's a total nightmare with the poor access and facilities we have. Sorry but I feel it's true! New access or new ground is the only way forward. I really don't believe that Wasps had 10K every game. Wycombe comes to a standstill at 6500 +!

• Charlton Athletic have been having a real push to get a really big crowd under the banner “#FilltheValley” for their game this Saturday at home to Plymouth Argyle. It’ll be interesting to see if they break 20,000. Charlton could do Wycombe a big favour before our match at Home Park on Nov 23rd but will be without Jayden Stockley who was sent off last Saturday.

• @Platform_3 said:

@Forest_Blue said:

@mooneyman said:

No they won’t.

"These days"? You mean since 1898?

Since 1974…that bloody local government reorganisation that gave us all those crappy new counties like Cumbria and killed off Rutland, Cumberland, Westmoreland etc. etc. Worthy of its own thread (maybe in the summer close season?)

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Please, no 7000+ crowds at Wycombe as it's a total nightmare with the poor access and facilities we have. Sorry but I feel it's true! New access or new ground is the only way forward. I really don't believe that Wasps had 10K every game. Wycombe comes to a standstill at 6500 +!

From what I can remember watching odd bits on TV, the sellouts never looked anything like full.

• Ted Heath shall never vanquished be
    Till Nottingham’s Forest to Rushcliffe shall flee.

• To our Forest supporting friends - is there much hatred between the two Nottingham clubs, or does the usual gap in divisions remove any real sense of rivalry?

• Might have lit the blue touch paper there @Shev although the silence so far suggests they may be in shock at the merest suggestion that different divisions may have mitigated the animosity.

Perhaps they’re off to lynch @mooneyman !

• @A_Worboys said:
    Charlton Athletic have been having a real push to get a really big crowd under the banner “#FilltheValley” for their game this Saturday at home to Plymouth Argyle. It’ll be interesting to see if they break 20,000. Charlton could do Wycombe a big favour before our match at Home Park on Nov 23rd but will be without Jayden Stockley who was sent off last Saturday.

I read that as Filth Valley.

• @micra said:
    Might have lit the blue touch paper there @Shev although the silence so far suggests they may be in shock at the merest suggestion that different divisions may have mitigated the animosity.

Perhaps they’re off to lynch @mooneyman !

They haven't arrived yet @micra!

• @Shev not really as County have generally always been a division or so behind Forest with the Reds seeing them as more of a case for sympathy and pity. Or a quaint historic relic rather than a rival. Lots of players have moved between the clubs as well without much rancour. It should be noted that when the Pies were looking like going out of business both fans and players alike contributed to keep them afloat. I have relatives in both camps and though there is some gentle ribbing I've never seen any punch-ups. (Not about football any road...)

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@A_Worboys said:
    Charlton Athletic have been having a real push to get a really big crowd under the banner “#FilltheValley” for their game this Saturday at home to Plymouth Argyle. It’ll be interesting to see if they break 20,000. Charlton could do Wycombe a big favour before our match at Home Park on Nov 23rd but will be without Jayden Stockley who was sent off last Saturday.

I read that as Filth Valley.

Same!

• @Wendoverman said:
    @Shev not really as County have generally always been a division or so behind Forest with the Reds seeing them as more of a case for sympathy and pity. Or a quaint historic relic rather than a rival. Lots of players have moved between the clubs as well without much rancour. It should be noted that when the Pies were looking like going out of business both fans and players alike contributed to keep them afloat. I have relatives in both camps and though there is some gentle ribbing I've never seen any punch-ups. (Not about football any road...)

Cheers @Wendoverman! It's interesting to get a little background from someone in the know.

• The great MON even played for County at one point.

• It does seem a rare case of a healthy good humoured local rivalry.

I’m struggling to think of any other cities with the same kind of semi-fondness between clubs.

• I do know a Notts County fan who gets quite annoyed when Forest fans turn up to cheer them on.

He’s irritated by the lack of hate, as deep down he knows it’s because County pose little threat.

• Think they have far more fun baiting Derby than Notts County.
    Was a bit of agro between the two clubs a few years ago with the idiot owner who took them out of the league mouthing off. Forest send their loan players to Mansfield instead now. Fairly silly.

• To be fair ive been down south for so.long I could be seeing the footballing homeland with rose coloured specs

• @Wendoverman said:
    To be fair ive been down south for so.long I could be seeing the footballing homeland with rose coloured specs

You’ve called it right, there’s no real rivalry as the Pies are like a ‘junior club’ in comparison to the Reds. The two are never allowed to play at home on the same day though. Forest used to send teams over to Meadow Lane for testimonials and as @Wendoverman says lots of players have moved across to County after Forest, though not many go the other way.

County did make the old First Division under Neil Warnock in the last season before the Premier League but I think the County fans feel more rivalry than Forest fans. We had both tribes at our school but never an issue between them.

• David Needham (of the glory years) is the only County player I can recall crossing the Trent...but I could be mistaken.

• Justin Fashanu

• @ChasHarps said:
    Justin Fashanu

Came from Norwich...went other way.

• Who's got the gasroom comedy klaxon?