Skip to content

Man of the Match - Portsmouth

Who gets it?

Poll not found

Comments

• Scowen for me, first 25 was great to see Anis and Hanlan causing lots of problems but felt Josh was most consistent over the whole game

• I went Scowen, because he was the one player who showed intelligence to get the ball down and try and get in positions to properly engineer good crossing scenarios, rather than lamping it in from way too deep.

• Scowen head and shoulders for me

• I went with Hanlan. I feel that (especially with McCleary out) he’s the player most likely to make things happen on the attacking front, and the combination of pace and physicality is a good one.

• Scowen MoM but shout out to Anis especially first half. Great to see him earn a start at last.

• Scowen... really ? Our midfield was non existent

• Scowen for me. Never gave up and made a crucial challenge to prevent a goal

• Scowen for me, picked out some great passes all afternoon. Thompson had a strong game also

• Thomo is as hard as nails and gives 110% every game (as does Scowen tbf). I am worried about Thomas knee very time he goes in for a 50:50. We are a lesser team without him.

• I went for Thompson but Scowen was also worthy.

• Always interesting how the imperious Stewart gets so few votes from week to week.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
      Always interesting how the imperious Stewart gets so few votes from week to week.

Totally agree. Because Tools is so reliable, a solid 8/10 week on week we’ve come to expect it. Good to see him giving Jason M a right rollicking on a couple of occasions. As a senior pro at 29 with over 200 appearances for us adding leadership to his game may up his profile.

• Love Stewart, but I didn’t think yesterday was one of his better games. He’d left his man in acres of space for the Pompey goal and was miles out of position.

• @drcongo said:
      Love Stewart, but I didn’t think yesterday was one of his better games. He’d left his man in acres of space for the Pompey goal and was miles out of position.

Our back three did seem particularly out of shape on occasion, more than usual.

• Looked to me like McCarthy was not tracking back enough and Taffs was ponderous at times, both of which left Tools more exposed than usual.

• McCarthy was stranded up the other end of the pitch blowing out of his arse after we had attacked them down our right

They must have covered on the training pitch what to do if either of the wingbacks gets stranded upfield in possession though I'd have thought

• @perfidious_albion said:
      Looked to me like McCarthy was not tracking back enough and Taffs was ponderous at times, both of which left Tools more exposed than usual.

I'm a bit worried that Taff's musclebound physique for his social media accounts has left rather rigid. It was quite frightening to see how slowed he turned, which left a Pompey player in on a one v one in the first half.
      The same thing happened to Stewart Castlledine in his woeful second spell for us.

• @ChasHarps said:

@perfidious_albion said:
      Looked to me like McCarthy was not tracking back enough and Taffs was ponderous at times, both of which left Tools more exposed than usual.

I'm a bit worried that Taff's musclebound physique for his social media accounts has left rather rigid. It was quite frightening to see how slowed he turned, which left a Pompey player in on a one v one in the first half.
      The same thing happened to Stewart Castlledine in his woeful second spell for us.

The biggest example of "disco muscles" ever seen was Mr Castledine.

I'd love to know what Sanchez was thinking when he signed him though, as even on the initial comments he said something to the effect of "don't expect him to play that much, he's played about 30 games in 5 years"

Are the wing backs expected to ‘track back’ as some suggest? I’m not sure either are expected to do more than track the opposition full back.

@perfidious_albion said:

Are the wing backs expected to ‘track back’ as some suggest? I’m not sure either are expected to do more than track the opposition full back.

I think the wing backs have to cover wide defensive positions, basically dropping alongside Josh and Curtis to make a 3-4-3 out of possession. If they don’t/can’t then Josh or Curtis would have to pull wide to cover, potentially leaving a defensive hole on the edge of the Wycombe penalty area.

• I think you’re right @Forest_Blue. I have a feeling though that last season playing this system we would often have one wingback drop all the way back to almost make a back four.

Believe me if you had heard what I heard Tools clearly believes they should!

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

Believe me if you had heard what I heard Tools clearly believes they should!

Stockdale was having a similar behind the hand chat with Orbita at one point. Suggests that lots knew the role, a couple weren’t capable / willing to do it

@perfidious_albion said:

I was always under the impression it should be one of the holding midfielders jobs to fill in to the defence. That’s why you run with two defensive minded midfielders.
      Wing back goes forward, if play breaks down one of the def mid goes to the ball, the other drops back to make either full back position, or in central defence (if they have the attributes to do so)

That’s why a modern back five isn’t a traditional back 5 (or a 3/4/3) that supporters can’t get there head around and think they are being ultra defensive (see last england game)