Skip to content

Match day thread: Portsmouth

Comments

• I was at both games we were allowed to be at last season and I didn't hear anyone booing the players when they took the knee

• Top tip. Don’t make even the most subtle of disparaging remarks about Portsmouth on Twitter. My phone battery is almost worn out with the sh1t coming my way. ?

• @eric_plant said:
    I was at both games we were allowed to be at last season and I didn't hear anyone booing the players when they took the knee

I’m sorry to report that there was booing near me, a chap behind me but he wasn’t alone.

• There was also a strong correlation between non-mask wearers and booers, albeit from a small sample.

• @Lloyd2084 said:

@eric_plant said:
    I was at both games we were allowed to be at last season and I didn't hear anyone booing the players when they took the knee

I’m sorry to report that there was booing near me, a chap behind me but he wasn’t alone.

There was in fact one sole Wycombe fan who audibly booed the knee at Fleetwood away and didn't look too pleased to note the obvious disgust of I and one or two other fans nearby. Not a face I recognised from any other game, but still a shock that anyone still finds it remotely appropriate.

• As been said above I’ve got no problem with people who do not agree with applauding the taking of the knee, but booing it does seem a different message. I don’t know how hard it is to get that.

• What a time to be alive when the manager of Wycombe Wanderers can be considered under any sort of pressure because we’ve lost league games to Ipswich and Portsmouth.

• @eric_plant said:

I heard booing at the Coventry game, though that was because they tried to kick off while we were taking the knee!

• Doesn’t look like a penalty to me, but it could easily have been given.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@MBS said:
    Criticism of referees. Yes, they get things wrong of course but I wonder if any of you on here have actually tried refereeing a game. I volunteered to ref a Sunday league game some years ago, at about the lowest level possible. It was far far harder than I thought it would be. So much going on around you to make sense of.
    Today’s referees have to put up with baying mobs and abuse from the touch line and crowds and blatant routine cheating in every single game. Lack of respect of any kind from players and all difficult decisions made at lightning speed with no recourse to replays. It’s a tough gig believe me. Try it some time!!

I don’t think the ‘can’t criticise unless you’ve done it’ carries any weight in these modern social media days. I’ve reffed a few youth games and think the abuse from a handful of parents worse than anything these league refs get.

I reffed one game once (some london midweek league we had a works team in). The ref didn’t turn up so I was volunteered. I realised how tough it was when one of our players was hacked down in the box and I was busy appealing for a penalty for about 10 seconds before remembering i was the one with the whistle.

Still better than being an Umpire. I once gave one of our team out LBW and I’m not sure he’s ever spoken to me since.

• @MBS Surely if we are not allowed to judge players, managers, officials, the trust, the stewards, their fans, our fans, @glasshalffull, drummers and food and drink unless we've played, managed, officiated, run a club, know every fan's feelings, commentated on matches professionally and run a Greggs, the Gasroom would be very quiet.

• @floyd said:
    What a time to be alive when the manager of Wycombe Wanderers can be considered under any sort of pressure because we’ve lost league games to Ipswich and Portsmouth.

He isn't though is he? As annoying as the last few games have been we were probably overachieving up to that point. Having come down and got some good players here we are in the mix to go up again but I'd imagine we'd have struggled to recruit quite a few in the Ipswich and Pompey squads on either finance or reputation. There's some good teams in this league, at the moment we seem a bit behind the top ones but not a million miles away and it's a long season.

• https://www.instagram.com/tv/CWQvysjAhOc/?utm_medium=copy_link What a hit, maybe a little early to solve all our problems (Sorry not sure how to share if you don't have insta)

• edited November 2021

I referee every week Saturdays and Sundays. It is hard because you are making lots of decisions and all of them from your point of view. So you miss things that others see clearly…it’s just fact. Bodies in the way, difficult angle etc. At least at the top level the ref has trained assistants, but they seem very reluctant to give anything beyond a throw in…how many fouls do we see the assistants give in a game? Assistant on the main stand side gave one foul on Saturday and I think the ref had blown already.

I thought the ref had a good go on Saturday. He decided to let the game flow and that meant a few 50s/50s where he allowed play on. Their pen shout looked like the player fell over our defender from where I was sitting but I’m 80 yards away so who knows.

Then he books the two coaches on the Portsmouth bench for dissent and I don’t think he was taken in by their moaning. Did he actually give Pompey anything that wasn’t a foul? To be honest if teams and players start moaning it’s tempting to give them less, not more…and the moaners are likely to be the first to end up with yellow cards.

Then the ref gives the penalty to Wycombe, so on which important decisions did he favour Pompey? And I mean important decisions, not niggling free kicks in the team’s own half which are easy to give.

• Cannot say I witnessed any poor behaviour from Pompey fans but after all this time the knee booing was disappointing.

• @Forest_Blue Maybe you're right and I agree he tried to let the game flow. We could've had a 2nd penalty in the 1st half. The one on Hanlan in the 2nd half looked quite blatant to me, but maybe others have a different opinion? I did think their shout in the 1st half could've been given, but perhaps I was wrong on that judging by other comments.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    @Forest_Blue Maybe you're right and I agree he tried to let the game flow. We could've had a 2nd penalty in the 1st half. The one on Hanlan in the 2nd half looked quite blatant to me, but maybe others have a different opinion? I did think their shout in the 1st half could've been given, but perhaps I was wrong on that judging by other comments.

I agree he could have given 2 more pens. The Hanlan shout was closer to us and, ‘I’ve seen them given’.

• Irritating to see that Horgan has been left out of the Ireland squad again. Fair enough if he's in the squad, but doesn't play, but selecting him then leaving him out completely seems a waste.

Hopefully he'll return and be available for Tuesday night. Will be good to have him back, especially with McCleary looking like he'll also be back soon.

• Do we read into that he could be injured / unwell?

• Re the penalties, I thought theirs was a definite pen, as was ours that was given, and so should've Hanlans been in the 2nd half

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@MorrisItal_ said:
    ...a couple asked “how can you watch that every week” and I replied that “I remember when they used to be an important club”.

I thought Portsmouth were by the far the most cynical team to come to AP this season, I have no idea how they watch that every week without being utterly embarrassed. The outright cheating to get McCarthy booked was disgraceful.

They found a way to win. We have done that for 5 seasons (plus)

• So far this season L1 refs have been light years better than the Championship refs from last season.

• @Shev said:
    So far this season L1 refs have been light years better than the Championship refs from last season.

Is it as simple as that? Or did we offer so little for the first 3months of last season that we focused on every single little incident as it was typically a huge game changer?

• @kiscokid that was my worry also, but by the look of it, he's just been left out of the squad. Tweets from the Ireland FA stated that another player was left out due to injury and Horgan was also left out ( as he was against Portugal), but no mention of injury.

• @Malone said:

@Shev said:
    So far this season L1 refs have been light years better than the Championship refs from last season.

Is it as simple as that? Or did we offer so little for the first 3months of last season that we focused on every single little incident as it was typically a huge game changer?

I think @Malone has a fair point, but also perhaps that L1 refs are inclined to allow a greater degree of physicality, which is to our favour.

• I agree that it is a valid perspective, but most of our games this season have been close too, so bad refereeing could have derailed wins over Accrington, Charlton, Shrewsbury, Crewe, Morecambe and Lincoln, as we won them all by the odd goal.

• @Wendoverman said:
    The end is nigh.

That did make oi larf!?

• @Wycombe85 I hear that Horgan made himself unavailable for selection when he realised there was an opportunity to play in an FA Cup Replay under lights, in the very finest traditions of the game.

• @our_frank Perhaps he was given permission to leave the Ireland camp early to prepare himself properly for the task in hand! Expecting to see him rip Hartlepool to shreds on Tuesday night!