Skip to content

Match day thread: Portsmouth

Comments

• I have no idea how we lost that game, we played well apart from a 15/20 mins part of the 2nd half, the ref lost control of the game and evidentally as he should of gave pompey a pen ...to make up for it he refused to give us a couple of nailed on ones. the positives is that Hanlan really does look like some player.

• @eric_plant said:
    "I thought the ref was rubbish apart from when he booked their manager for telling him he was rubbish"

As the gasroom expert on refereeing matters, did you think the official was impressive yesterday?

• @glasshalffull said:

@eric_plant said:
    "I thought the ref was rubbish apart from when he booked their manager for telling him he was rubbish"

As the gasroom expert on refereeing matters, did you think the official was impressive yesterday?

he started well lost control of the game., he tried to.even the game out which annoyed both sets of teams . I was watching the game with a pompey fan and he commented that he was really impressed by our 1st half showing and look a cut above from the last few seasons

• @glasshalffull said:

@eric_plant said:

Don’t bite @glasshalffull, that post was a magnificent monument to the bizarre mental gymnastics Eric will put himself through just to have a go at you. I hope it never gets deleted, and stands forever as the gasroom’s Mount Rushmore of stupidity.

• The constant ear bashing from Portsmouth players and bench did seem to affect the referee. He probably made a mistake not giving them an early penalty, had an easy decision to make for our one, but absolutely not going to give us anything else! Hanlan could easily of had a pen in the 1st half, a very clumsy piece of defending. I think the fact Hanlan probably wasn't getting to the ball saved the defender. The 2nd half foul on Hanlan looked blatant, can't think of any reason why it wasn't given. Didn't get a clear view on the big shout at the end, so won't comment on that one.

• @glasshalffull @drcongo What specifically did you think the ref got wrong? Personally, I thought he was better than any player on show but Bass.

• @our_frank said:
    @glasshalffull @drcongo What specifically did you think the ref got wrong? Personally, I thought he was better than any player on show but Bass.

Agree. Yesterday was certainly not a day where the ref was under fire from Wycombe fans.

• @Wanderers82 said:

@glasshalffull said:

@eric_plant said:

he started well lost control of the game., he tried to.even the game out which annoyed both sets of teams . I was watching the game with a pompey fan and he commented that he was really impressed by our 1st half showing and look a cut above from the last few seasons

Thought 1st half showing was very average.

• @kiscokid said:
    Glad you found some pleasant Pompey fans. I walked out with about a hundred absolute halfwits - one holding a smashed Wycombe seat in his hand and parading it around like a trophy - another walking into a horse whilst his mate was laughing at an old disabled supporter and mimicking her walk. Vile bunch just like their vile manager and his PE teaching brother.

Absolute morons, some of them. Made I larf when 50 or so of them descended Crendon Street at about 11.30 singing 'I want to go home etc.' a mere 100 yards from the railway station from whence they came.

• I actually didn't think the ref was too bad, easy to blame him when we don't win. As I said yesterday if we score that penalty it's a different game, we played well up to then, but the miss got pompey going and we didn't start again until the last 15.

Hope GMac is back soon, and pair him up with Horgan again !

• I feel that the next 5-10 games maybe GAs most significant yet in his time as manager.

I think he’s under pressure as there is now an undeniable expectation for success and no room for playing the underdog card - which is new territory for GA.

In the Championship last year every point gained was a miracle given the size of the Wycombe budget. In the L1 promotion season, when the terrible run started the narrative was injuries and the lack of squad depth given it was early days post up investment.

Neither of those narratives hold true anymore and Gareth has publicly stated many times that he has been backed this year to build his best team, considerable money has been spent to achieve this.

• @Aylesburyblue said:

@uptheblues said:
    Zzzzzzz??????? hope you had good weekend ????

Hope you managed to see the game alright from your position on the hill! All seems very bizarre that you stand there drumming away as the club banned drums etc..ever thought why don't you just enter the ground without the drum and support the club like you always did.Cutting your nose off to spite your face springs to mind.

Reportedly seen celebrating with Pompey fans at the end as well... some supporter we have there !

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    ...a couple asked “how can you watch that every week” and I replied that “I remember when they used to be an important club”.

I thought Portsmouth were by the far the most cynical team to come to AP this season, I have no idea how they watch that every week without being utterly embarrassed. The outright cheating to get McCarthy booked was disgraceful.

• @glasshalffull said:

@perfidious_albion said:

I stand corrected. Three point from a possible 9, a draw to lower division cup opposition and a thumping in a dead rubber. So no win in 5 to be more accurate. And no one is calling it “a crisis” that’s just ramping up with ‘journalistic licence’ of course Alan.

I wasn’t referencing your post in particular, just disappointed that after a couple of defeats some people start questioning the manager’s tactics, the ability of certain players, the team’s ability to stay amongst the leaders, even suggesting that we are lucky to have as many points as we’ve got. Every team will have a blip and we are still ahead of some major clubs in this division. It’s a long season.

For someone who has been around football and it’s supporters for so long, I do find your expectation for fans to actually think rationally and reasonably quite amusing

• Dont think ref got too much wrong myself...but bottled a few decisions under pressure from the Cowleys and players, I think. As I said before their player Curtis was constantly claiming elbows to the 4th official and linesman and he and the manager celebrated the goal like they'd won the cup so it made me wonder if it was a tactic.

• So Gareth is now on borrowed time, we have no quality on the bench and only the return of a free-scoring McLeary and possibly The Player bought in January can save our season now? Big game yesterday.

• @LordMandeville said:

@kiscokid said:
    Glad you found some pleasant Pompey fans. I walked out with about a hundred absolute halfwits - one holding a smashed Wycombe seat in his hand and parading it around like a trophy - another walking into a horse whilst his mate was laughing at an old disabled supporter and mimicking her walk. Vile bunch just like their vile manager and his PE teaching brother.

Absolute morons, some of them. Made I larf when 50 or so of them descended Crendon Street at about 11.30 singing 'I want to go home etc.' a mere 100 yards from the railway station from whence they came.

Such an odd group of supporters. An almost entire set list of 90’s chants littered with abuse about Wycombe. And all chanted by a load of 15 year old high on something. Didn’t even sell all their tickets.

• @kiscokid said:

Add to that booing footballers protesting against racism.

• And the ‘let him die’ chants.

• @PBo said:

@Shev said:
    For those wondering why McCarthy was MOTM, I think it was to troll the Portsmouth fans, who were booing him for his Southampton roots, according to the commentary.

yup, McCarthy not only played for Southampton but (the horror) was born there.

A frustrating game, of course, but we nearly did pull it back at the end playing the classic "big man + big man" combo up front - I can't think of many teams that employ this tactic, but it certainly caused havoc in PFC's box.

Not something you see very often in the Premier League or Championship (or anywhere that I can think of). Excitingly frustrating, I imagine, not having been present.

• Not the classiest bunch of fans were they. First time I've heard such loud booing of the anti racism protest. Very sad

• If you don’t agree with the knee, don’t applaud it.

Booing just makes you look like a knuckle-dragging racist.

On their penalty claim in the first half, it looked like their guy fell over our player who was already on the ground?

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@MorrisItal_ said:
    ...a couple asked “how can you watch that every week” and I replied that “I remember when they used to be an important club”.

I thought Portsmouth were by the far the most cynical team to come to AP this season, I have no idea how they watch that every week without being utterly embarrassed. The outright cheating to get McCarthy booked was disgraceful.

Agreed. I think this made the match very difficult to referee particularly when the linos as usual were totally useless. He was certainly nowhere near the worst ref we have seen.

• @PrinceOfCrowell said:
    If you don’t agree with the knee, don’t applaud it.

Booing just makes you look like a knuckle-dragging racist.

On their penalty claim in the first half, it looked like their guy fell over our player who was already on the ground?

It was a very odd incident. It looked to me as though Obita deliberately lay down on the floor on front of their player, presumably to try and block a shot, and their player continued his run and fell over him.

Don't think I've ever seen a defender defend like that before and I wouldn't really like to see it again. Put it this way, I'd have been appealing for a penalty if it had been against us

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    And the ‘let him die’ chants.

I don't think Wycombe fans historically have any leg to stand on when it comes to criticising the abuse of injured opposition players.

• Criticism of referees. Yes, they get things wrong of course but I wonder if any of you on here have actually tried refereeing a game. I volunteered to ref a Sunday league game some years ago, at about the lowest level possible. It was far far harder than I thought it would be. So much going on around you to make sense of.
    Today’s referees have to put up with baying mobs and abuse from the touch line and crowds and blatant routine cheating in every single game. Lack of respect of any kind from players and all difficult decisions made at lightning speed with no recourse to replays. It’s a tough gig believe me. Try it some time!!

• You can tell how little faith Portsmouth fans had in their team today by not even being able to sell out our moderate sized away end for a Saturday fixture in surely one of their closest away games of the season.
    That was the biggest shocker of the day.

• Although it makes no difference now how offside was that goal.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@Lloyd2084 said:
    And the ‘let him die’ chants.

I don't think Wycombe fans historically have any leg to stand on when it comes to criticising the abuse of injured opposition players.

Maybe but it’s always disappointed me. I’ve not been a terrace dweller for a good ten years now so don’t know if that particular beauty still gets aired.

To be fair we had our share of supporters who booed taking the knee at the couple of games we were able to attend last year, we can still call it out when other teams do it.

• @MBS said:
    Criticism of referees. Yes, they get things wrong of course but I wonder if any of you on here have actually tried refereeing a game. I volunteered to ref a Sunday league game some years ago, at about the lowest level possible. It was far far harder than I thought it would be. So much going on around you to make sense of.
    Today’s referees have to put up with baying mobs and abuse from the touch line and crowds and blatant routine cheating in every single game. Lack of respect of any kind from players and all difficult decisions made at lightning speed with no recourse to replays. It’s a tough gig believe me. Try it some time!!

I don’t think the ‘can’t criticise unless you’ve done it’ carries any weight in these modern social media days. I’ve reffed a few youth games and think the abuse from a handful of parents worse than anything these league refs get.