Skip to content

Match day thread: Portsmouth

Comments

• McCarthy man of the match!! Headless chicken and leaving Tools constantly exposed, Anthony is a mild mannered bloke but he had to bollock Jason on several occasions for his recklessness. Oh and Volkes has clearly been up all night with the new baby tip toeing around. And Taff is really starting to get to me, stop telling everyone else what to do and stop donkeying around yourself
    Right got off my chest, on to the monkey hangers.
    Oh and Curtis T what a shift yet again, thank you.

• @davecz said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    Ok here goes, will be interested to see people putting a good spin on this as I thought that was pretty awful. Had a Portsmouth mate with me today who thoroughly expected a defeat as they havnt been playing well and were missing important players. First 20 we were fine playing well, the penalty miss was he defining moment, we score that and we probably win the game. From that moment on they gained moment and we lost it. Last 10 we were good again and not sure how we didn't score at the end there. I love McCarthy but he does seem out of sorts, MoM, really ? The midfield for me was non existent today, not impressed at all, I know a lot of people love Thompson but I find in times of trouble he just kicks it in the air in hope. Also Hanlon is good, but has maybe been hyped too much imo... at the beginning of the season, we had Vokes with McCleary and Horgan on the wings, I know Gmac is injured but get Horgan back in the team !!

As for the atmosphere, I thought it was great today !? Busiest the terrace has been all season I think and a good buzz about it... but I guess you know who will be on soon to tell us otherwise and that we are missing the drum

When Hanlan joined us the consensus was that he fell over a lot and needed a lot of chances to score goals. Today was the perfect example of that. He may have been unfairly handled by the defenders at times but needs to show more strength if he’s going to take on the defenders or more intelligence to keep away from them.
    Three very attacking players missing today. And it showed

I wonder whether Ainsworth now regrets the decision to play the game .We have probably paid Vokes a reasonable amount to come here but we are not going to get the best of him if we cannot cross the ball effectively. McCarthy and Obita clearly have their strengths but the crossing of a ball doesn’t appear to be one of them. Three points dropped today. Portsmouth were a poor side.

Good point. Loads of criticism about us putting the Ipswich game off, then losing it when subsequently played....but no word about it being a mistake to play today without McCleary & Horgan.

• @davecz said:

I wonder whether Ainsworth now regrets the decision to play the game .We have probably paid Vokes a reasonable amount to come here but we are not going to get the best of him if we cannot cross the ball effectively. McCarthy and Obita clearly have their strengths but the crossing of a ball doesn’t appear to be one of them. Three points dropped today. Portsmouth were a poor side.

It wasn’t GA’s decision, TJ hasn’t played enough first team games to qualify.

• Yes should have said that @davecz Pompey really are bang average but still beat us. This five games beaten run ) and some v lucky results immediately preceding) is a lot more worrying than many seem to acknowledge

• For those wondering why McCarthy was MOTM, I think it was to troll the Portsmouth fans, who were booing him for his Southampton roots, according to the commentary.

• If we continue to attack for only the first and last few minutes of every game we’re going to be relegated. I missed the first fifteen minutes because parking and didn’t see us have a single shot apart from the penalty until Bayo’s header in about the 80th minute. I have no idea what we thought we were doing for the middle hour, because we also weren’t defending.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Yes should have said that @davecz Pompey really are bang average but still beat us. This five games beaten run ) and some v lucky results immediately preceding) is a lot more worrying than many seem to acknowledge

You should check your facts. Our last 5 games: D2 L3.
    Defeats included Burton with a team of inexperienced youngsters in a game that didn’t matter and against Ipswich and Portsmouth, two of the biggest clubs in the division. We’re 4th in the table with 31 points and only Plymouth and Sheffield Wednesday have lost fewer league games than us. Hardly a crisis.

• @Shev said:
    For those wondering why McCarthy was MOTM, I think it was to troll the Portsmouth fans, who were booing him for his Southampton roots, according to the commentary.

yup, McCarthy not only played for Southampton but (the horror) was born there.

A frustrating game, of course, but we nearly did pull it back at the end playing the classic "big man + big man" combo up front - I can't think of many teams that employ this tactic, but it certainly caused havoc in PFC's box.

• Both Ipswich and Portsmouth have been defeats that could easily have been victories, with draws perhaps the fairest results (though I thought we were the better side today).

It happens - we have lost McLeary, have a tough run of fixtures, and have just hit a bad spot. I am convinced we will right the ship, but we do need Wigan, Plymouth and Rotherham to have bad runs of their own.

• My one genuine criticism of GA over these past two games is that I think he waited too long to make the subs in both matches. 1-2 down to Ipswich there was a little window to change the momentum, and he waited far too long. Today, I thought it apparent we needed to bring them on at 60 minutes, not 70-75.

In the Fleetwood game we all saw what happened when a manager goes for it with the subs to snatch the initiative away, and I think we have had opportunities to do so in both of these games. I think our sub timings can be a little too obligatory rather than strategic.

Love GA to bits, so this is not meant to be a moan, just an observation.

• Apologies if it's already been said but I hate reading some of the moaning comments from the same people that were singing our praises 3 weeks ago.

To me, one of the problems/solutions is obvious. Whilst JJ looks a decent proposition at centre half - one of his/our biggest threats in recent seasons was his delivery into the box. We are clearly missing that. Vokes is crying out for a decent supply!

I'm sure GA has his reasons, and generally Obita looks solid, but to me (especially when you are missing two creative talents in McCleary and Horgan) - JJ at LWB could have been an option today? Our delivery and final product has been poor of late, something needs changing.

• I had to use the park and ride and my coach back was mostly Pompey supporters and to their credit they admitted the game was a bit of a smash and grab.

• Also - what's happened to this guy we supposedly have from Swansea? By all accounts from Swansea supporters - sounds a good option.

We had nothing on the bench to change the game. I fear there is only so long that we can carry on benching good League 1 players like Wheeler and Kaikai (not today) - and keep them happy at the same time.

We look so much stronger with Horgan and McCleary.

• I might be a lone voice, but I thought that was a cracking game today. Apart from the result, I really enjoyed it. True our best spells were at the start and at the end of the match, but we created more than enough chances to have got something. Again, the fine margins went against us today.

Some good performances. Scowen and Thompson stood out, Mehmeti was also promising on his return to the side. Our defence were rather below par and up front we clearly miss the guile and creativity of McCleary and Horgan.

I thought Pompey were pretty decent, yes they rode their luck at times, but then so did we. They did give an absolute masterclass of the dark arts today though. Injury breaks everytime we had a spell of pressure. Constantly in the refs ear, which seemed to work well for them after he turned down a very strong looking penalty. We had 1 clear cut penalty given, but quite possibly should have had a couple more. The keeper was not only a magnificent shot stopper, but also had some serious time wasting skills. Could've been booked in the 1st half for taking an age over goal kicks, was eventually booked in the 2nd half and was perhaps lucky not to be sent off. Don't blame Portsmouth at all, but any complaints they have about us and our dark arts are rather laughable.

Very big game now on Tuesday!

• @thecatwwfc , JJ has a lot of attributes, but he simply can't be played at left wing back. It's a demanding role that requires you to have a real engine, and the pace to go with it.
    McCarthy and Obita make the system work for us as they're the fittest players in the squad.

That said, they both need to work on the crosses. At the moment it feels like a simple numbers game. Bang enough crosses in and the odd one is bound to come off.

I like @ReturnToSenda might have said it, but the best cross was one Stewart knocked in.

• @glasshalffull said:

You should check your facts. Our last 5 games: D2 L3.
    Defeats included Burton with a team of inexperienced youngsters in a game that didn’t matter and against Ipswich and Portsmouth, two of the biggest clubs in the division. We’re 4th in the table with 31 points and only Plymouth and Sheffield Wednesday have lost fewer league games than us. Hardly a crisis.

I stand corrected. Three point from a possible 9, a draw to lower division cup opposition and a thumping in a dead rubber. So no win in 5 to be more accurate. And no one is calling it “a crisis” that’s just ramping up with ‘journalistic licence’ of course Alan.

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    I had to use the park and ride and my coach back was mostly Pompey supporters and to their credit they admitted the game was a bit of a smash and grab.

How is the park and ride system going? Are those little coaches getting well used?

The bus from the train station is a great facility, 3 separate inbounds.
    For the vast majority of games there's no problem - the last inbound at 2.15 never seems to have more than 15-20, and between the 3 trips there normally can't be that close to 85, as there's usually a few buying singles too.

However, Portsmouth is always higher demand, and loads of Portsmouth fans were turned down in their attempts to buy singles, leading to loads of abuse being directed towards the driver. He did pretty well to remain calm I thought.

He must hate the Portsmouth game. I remember one other year they actually scrapped the top of Marlow hill destination a lot of us had got on from, as they'd underestimated the Portsmouth fan demand, and prioritised getting the Portsmouth fans to the station!

• @Malone said:
    @thecatwwfc , JJ has a lot of attributes, but he simply can't be played at left wing back. It's a demanding role that requires you to have a real engine, and the pace to go with it.
    McCarthy and Obita make the system work for us as they're the fittest players in the squad.

That said, they both need to work on the crosses. At the moment it feels like a simple numbers game. Bang enough crosses in and the odd one is bound to come off.

I like @ReturnToSenda might have said it, but the best cross was one Stewart knocked in.

I completely understand that and you are correct. But his best position is not CB either. Its almost like we play him for sentiment. I know he's not done much wrong but at the same time, not using him for his strengths.

At the moment it seems like we signed Vokes as a bit of a "marquee signing" and playing this system without the service he needs doesn't seem justified. He must be getting p***ed off as a striker that has played at the top level?

Not saying an overhaul by any means but wings backs need to be a threat if they are to be effective (a la Chelsea). If JJ doesn't have the engine to play left back....what does he have on paper that fits the bill for a centre back?

• edited November 2021

@thecatwwfc said:

@Malone said:
    @thecatwwfc , JJ has a lot of attributes, but he simply can't be played at left wing back. It's a demanding role that requires you to have a real engine, and the pace to go with it.

I completely understand that and you are correct. But his best position is not CB either. Its almost like we play him for sentiment. I know he's not done much wrong but at the same time, not using him for his strengths.

At the moment it seems like we signed Vokes as a bit of a "marquee signing" and playing this system without the service he needs doesn't seem justified. He must be getting p***ed off as a striker that has played at the top level?

Not saying an overhaul by any means but wings backs need to be a threat if they are to be effective (a la Chelsea). If JJ doesn't have the engine to play left back....what does he have on paper that fits the bill for a centre back?

He's not just a centre back though. There's many times he's out wide, and delivering the ball from normal play.
    When we play good stuff, we have both Obita and JJ working angles, and it can be quite effective.

Today it wasn't so great of course.
    I'm more concerned with the other side to be honest, although that surge from McCarthy where he hit the post and was super unlucky with the second go, was much more like his top form.

I think once McCleary especially, and also Horgan are back things will fall into place.
    Without them we're still a decent team, but it feels a bit more 50-50 on those small percentage things falling our way.

With the other two, we're able to go on the front foot and sustain it more.

• @perfidious_albion said:

I stand corrected. Three point from a possible 9, a draw to lower division cup opposition and a thumping in a dead rubber. So no win in 5 to be more accurate. And no one is calling it “a crisis” that’s just ramping up with ‘journalistic licence’ of course Alan.

I wasn’t referencing your post in particular, just disappointed that after a couple of defeats some people start questioning the manager’s tactics, the ability of certain players, the team’s ability to stay amongst the leaders, even suggesting that we are lucky to have as many points as we’ve got. Every team will have a blip and we are still ahead of some major clubs in this division. It’s a long season.

• @Malone said:

@MorrisItal_ said:
    I had to use the park and ride and my coach back was mostly Pompey supporters and to their credit they admitted the game was a bit of a smash and grab.

How is the park and ride system going? Are those little coaches getting well used?

The bus from the train station is a great facility, 3 separate inbounds.
    For the vast majority of games there's no problem - the last inbound at 2.15 never seems to have more than 15-20, and between the 3 trips there normally can't be that close to 85, as there's usually a few buying singles too.

However, Portsmouth is always higher demand, and loads of Portsmouth fans were turned down in their attempts to buy singles, leading to loads of abuse being directed towards the driver. He did pretty well to remain calm I thought.

He must hate the Portsmouth game. I remember one other year they actually scrapped the top of Marlow hill destination a lot of us had got on from, as they'd underestimated the Portsmouth fan demand, and prioritised getting the Portsmouth fans to the station!

I have to admit it’s not my first choice for getting to games, my first choice is getting Mrs Ital to drive me down drop off and pick me up from somewhere near the Tesco express allowing me a couple of pints before the game . Today however she was “unwell” so park and ride it was. On the occasions I have used it the coaches they seem quite full.
    The Pompey fans were also quite pleasant perhaps as you get older you become less threatening , a couple asked “how can you watch that every week” and I replied that “I remember when they used to be an important club”.

• @Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@Malone said:

He's not just a centre back though. There's many times he's out wide, and delivering the ball from normal play.
    When we play good stuff, we have both Obita and JJ working angles, and it can be quite effective.

Today it wasn't so great of course.
    I'm more concerned with the other side to be honest, although that surge from McCarthy where he hit the post and was super unlucky with the second go, was much more like his top form.

I think once McCleary especially, and also Horgan are back things will fall into place.
    Without them we're still a decent team, but it feels a bit more 50-50 on those small percentage things falling our way.

With the other two, we're able to go on the front foot and sustain it more.

Agreed. I think it goes without saying we need another natural CB though and probably another impact striker in the form of Kashket but more effective (realise that is hard to come by). But at one nil down today, I'm looking at the bench that is usually so strong, and there is nothing.

Little blip I guess. All teams have them and we will pull through. We are up there on merit so hopefully we turn around quickly.

• Glad you found some pleasant Pompey fans. I walked out with about a hundred absolute halfwits - one holding a smashed Wycombe seat in his hand and parading it around like a trophy - another walking into a horse whilst his mate was laughing at an old disabled supporter and mimicking her walk. Vile bunch just like their vile manager and his PE teaching brother.

• I thought the behaviour of those on the Portsmouth bench was out of order and cautioning two of them was one of the few things the referee got right.

• "I thought the ref was rubbish apart from when he booked their manager for telling him he was rubbish"

• edited November 2021

@Wycombe85 two voices. I thought it was a good game and yet again we were in it until the final whistle. On the bright side its nice to see some fellow Gasroomers back again after, for some, a long period of silence

• @kiscokid said:
    Glad you found some pleasant Pompey fans. I walked out with about a hundred absolute halfwits - one holding a smashed Wycombe seat in his hand and parading it around like a trophy - another walking into a horse whilst his mate was laughing at an old disabled supporter and mimicking her walk. Vile bunch just like their vile manager and his PE teaching brother.

Yep, seconded. They had some complete ‘halfwits’. Closest I’ve actually come to a fight on the way out today, very hard ‘yoof’ trying to provoke me when I’m literally holding my 8 year old child’s hand. Any sympathy I’ve ever had for that club when they fell on hard times has gone. Complete bells a large contingent of them. Oh the irony of the ‘bell’ was no pun intended ?. And did I hear about chanting at a ball boy?? Classy.

Funniest moment was by Tesco, when one ‘chime’ leant out of a taxi window and shouted ‘Fuck off Wycombe’ to a group in front of me, only for them to get angry back because they were Portsmouth fans!! Bless, I really think it was a day out for some of them who have got to get back to 6th form on Monday.

• Waiting for the second coach I was able to observe pretty much both sets of fans as they passed and Pompey did seem to have a high number of hammered yoofs drinking berry cider, I didn’t see anything apart from the usual chanting at anyone who would listen and gobshitedness that follows a game.

• Zzzzzzz??????? hope you had good weekend ????

• @uptheblues said:
    Zzzzzzz??????? hope you had good weekend ????

Hope you managed to see the game alright from your position on the hill! All seems very bizarre that you stand there drumming away as the club banned drums etc..ever thought why don't you just enter the ground without the drum and support the club like you always did.Cutting your nose off to spite your face springs to mind.