Skip to content

Match day thread: Portsmouth

Comments

• It says quite a lot when our RCB is a better crosser of the ball than our RWB.

• Other than the first 20-25 minutes we have been pretty mediocre today

• We really aren't playing well at the moment are we? Offered very little going forward so far today. Relying on another late show...

• Bloody ref is awful

• Obita cannot cross

• Atmosphere has been non-existent today, got to say

• McCarthy MOTM. I'll have some of what the match sponsors are having ?

• When does everyone think we’ll clinch relegation?

• Really - both Thompson & Scowen have been much better

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    Really - both Thompson & Scowen have been much better

Scowen has been absolutely everywhere. Brilliant.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Erroll_Sims said:

Has anyone been brilliant?

• Their 'keeper, who is second choice, has been magnificent.

• @Brownie said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Erroll_Sims said:

Has anyone been brilliant?

Can you read?

• Not our best, clearly, but also one of those days. Pen saved, hit woodwork twice, their GK on fire.

• This tactic we have of attacking only in the first and last ten minutes is the most baffling tactic I’ve ever seen. This is what happens.

• Really frustrating game. Don’t think it was a terrible performance, ref and Pompey took any kind of momentum out of the game and we lacked the cutting edge when it mattered.

• Oh, and a blatantly offside winner

• Left it too late to make a change today I’m afraid

• Not good enough. Crosses being sent in were either rubbish or angled. We need to get crosses in from closer to the bi line. Need to get our act together in front of goal pretty soon as let’s be under no illusion Portsmouth were poor

• Poor result against against a very weak Portsmouth team. We need to be ruthless when we are on top. Need to find a cutting edge if we to remain in the promotion shake up.

• Really disappointing one.

Crap opposition and trying to rely on industrial power play football to scrape it late doors.
    Need McCleary back ASAP.

• Disappointing defeat but again we are just not ruthless enough and score enough when in the ascendency. For me, i absolutely hate it when people say you are in control of a football match when the scores are level, or one goal in it - you’re not. Only when, at a minimum, you’re two up, and even then not always. I still think we just are lacking a little bit, particularly out wide, and we’re play offs at best without reinforcements.

If we are to continue playing 3-4-1-2 we need more quality out wide. McCarthy was fantastic at right wing back in the last quarter of last season but he has shown pretty average form this season. Going forward he seems to be at best hitting and hoping crosses almost exclusively. Defensively he struggles. It was a real shame that effort towards the end didn’t go in as that could’ve kick started his form. For me, Horgan needs to come in for McCarthy on the right who has better quality on the ball. That would leave McCleary and Mehmeti (and Wheeler) to fight for the number 10 spot. I’m still not convinced by Obita but with more quality on the right and Obita’s link with McCleary (when fit) that looks ok.

JJ is a bit concerning for me too as when his set pieces are a bit off he is a bit of a worry at the back if the opposition target him and his set piece threat doesn’t offset that. I am certainly not fighting him off as generally he’s been great since the switch to a back 3, but recently he has struggled.

We went pretty agricultural (understatement) today in the last 15 minutes and probably should’ve scored but it certainly wasn’t attractive to watch. It still worries me personally that we are so one dimensional at times from the bench, with our only option seemingly being Bayo on for 15 minutes and belt it forward repeatedly. But I do understand it can be very effective and it’s just not my cup of tea.

Anyway, in summary, let’s hope McCleary is back soon!

• Mccarthy mom gave me a good laugh

• @Malone said:
    Really disappointing one.

Crap opposition and trying to rely on industrial power play football to scrape it late doors.
    Need McCleary back ASAP.

Not that we have any right to know when that might be

• @eric_plant said:

@Malone said:

Need McCleary back ASAP.

Would you prefer we let our opposition game plan for him instead?

• @eric_plant said:

@Malone said:

Need McCleary back ASAP.

Not gonna make it happen quicker is it

• I'd prefer just to know given I invest a lot of emotion in this team and it means a lot to me and he's really rather important to us

• @drcongo said:

@eric_plant said:

@Malone said:

Need McCleary back ASAP.

Not gonna make it happen quicker is it

No, of course not

• Also, forgot to say we need another Centre back, we are really short in that area and Forino and Wakely are not ready for a run of games in League 1 should we get an injury.