Skip to content

Match day thread: Portsmouth

Comments

• Not even anything to take the piss out of there. The way the shield slightly overlaps the blue ring is a bit annoying, but I can't fault it otherwise.

• edited November 2021

Ottoman empire flag shifted 90 degrees and gone from red to blue.
    Must have been pilfered by those old Pompey seadogs.

• A real tough fixture and we need the win.

• Not filled with confidence for today. Woke up feeling a bit Eeyore

• It's only a tough fixture if we make it that way. We should be winning this (but I am half-expecting a 3-0 loss given how depleted they are because that's just how football works...).

• Is McCleary fit to play today? ?

• Being without McCleary and Horgan is massive for us I fear

• Mehmeti's time to shine maybe. He certainly needs to.

• edited November 2021

I expect Wheeler will start, though

• Last time we lost two League One home games in a row, the team to inflict that second defeat was...?

• Agree with @eric_plant on this one. Much is being made of the Portsmouth abscenes, but we're very short on creativity without McCleary and Horgan, along with Kaikai. We're likely to be very direct to Vokes which may or may not work and reliant on Hanlan having a big game. Need to get the ball to him though.

Even if coming off the bench, today may well be when we really need Mehmeti to step up.

• I hope not but I fear there may be more changes to our line up than we expect today.

• Mehmeti hasn't really shone this season (yet). I would be more than happy to give him a start today. I didn't think Wheeler/Gape/Scowen worked

• A front three of Mehmeti, Vokes and Hanlan looks fine to me.

• edited November 2021

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Mehmeti hasn't really shone this season (yet). I would be more than happy to give him a start today. I didn't think Wheeler/Gape/Scowen worked

It didn't work because Gape was being used in the old Blooms role to lead the press (which he's generally effective at, but it had a serious knock-on effect behind him as we saw, and Ipswich largely bypassed the press anyway), but I wouldn't be opposed to Anis starting - maybe it's exactly what he needs.

• Hey you lot. I rely on you for my positivity!!!

If Thompson and Scowen start we’ll win this unless we have a nightmare at the back (or are more depleted than expected).

(Will now need a lie down…)

• If we have Stocko - Grimmer or McCarthy - Tafazolli- Stewart - Jacobson - Obita.
    Scowen - Thompson.
    Hanlan - Vokes - McCleary.
    Then we will win.
    If no McCleary, then Mehmeti instead and I would still fancy a win.

• Any insight into why the Disney club are so far down the league?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Last time we lost two League One home games in a row, the team to inflict that second defeat was...?

I think we had that three game streak of Accrington, Portsmouth and Charlton in 2018-19. Can't recall if we lost two in a row in the promotion season?

• edited November 2021

How do we know this is the real team?

• @Shev said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Last time we lost two League One home games in a row, the team to inflict that second defeat was...?

I think we had that three game streak of Accrington, Portsmouth and Charlton in 2018-19. Can't recall if we lost two in a row in the promotion season?

Yeah, it was Pompey. Omen...

• @Shev said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I think we did aroundabout Christmas time, now I am going to have a look to check.

• Big chance for Mehmeti I am worried about Dom Gape, he can’t seem to go more than a couple of games without breaking down.

• @railwaysteve said:

@Shev said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I think we did aroundabout Christmas time, now I am going to have a look to check.

Not at home we didn't

• Happy for the young lads, but we don't have much experience to bring off the bench.

• McCleary back in training btw

• Not a lot to complain about in that line-up.
    (Steps back as is proved wrong by Gasroomers?)

• First time I’ve seen Mehmeti start in person today, excited to see it.

In terms of the game, Portsmouth is one of those fixtures you look at in the pre-season and earmark a point at most, but having seen their line-up, we ‘ought’ to be winning it.

• Also Parsons, Pendlebury and Forino on the bench. The pick of the development squad so far I think

• @Wendoverman said:
    Not a lot to complain about in that line-up.
    (Steps back as is proved wrong by Gasroomers?)

Does look decent (please win now, please)