Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton (EFL Trophy)

Comments

• The injuries and international call ups do seem to have left us a bit thin squad wise. It's a shame that these matches have coincided with the international breaks, as it would have been perfect for the likes of De Barr. Don't suppose it'll be the most intense of matches, but it's likely to mean 90mins for Hanlan and Obita before Saturday. Every chance we'll need Mehmeti and Forino also.

• edited November 2021

@drcongo said:
    I've completely blanked on who Leathers is.

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2021/september/adam-leathers-signs/

I was blank too.

• @adamspark said:
    Seems that Andre Burley must have been recalled.

That would have been one hell of a quick recall wouldn't it!

• My initial reaction was... why are we risking Hanlan and Obita! Great to see so many youngsters get a run out though.

• @Malone said:

@adamspark said:
    Seems that Andre Burley must have been recalled.

That would have been one hell of a quick recall wouldn't it!

Probably that able to play loanees thing

• Actually slightly surprised Gape isn't playing. He looked in need of game time against Ipswich. Would've thought tonight would be ideal for him to get 90 low intensity minutes under the belt

• Looks like must have got special dispensation to play a weakened team. Can’t see four qualifying players in the outfield ten. Either that or some surprising names starting against Pompey

• I did wonder that myself. Perhaps with the international call ups he was able to field a more changed XI

• So is the rule that we must play 4 from our starting 11 or our first team squad? If it is the squad and if the Hartlepool game qualifies, then we have got 4 in Forino, Hanlan, Obita and Mehmeti.

• What would happen if a club just didn’t abide by the selection rule?

Not that I would suggest it’s what we’d do but as We’re already out as far as I know, so we couldn’t be kicked out. A fine I assume?

• Upset of the day: lack of discussion around the portly star of Burton's badge. Saving it for the league games, I guess!

• @TheDancingYak said:
    What would happen if a club just didn’t abide by the selection rule?

Not that I would suggest it’s what we’d do but as We’re already out as far as I know, so we couldn’t be kicked out. A fine I assume?

Didn't Luton do that a few years ago and get a fine? I can't remember how big it was.

• @Shev said:
    Upset of the day: lack of discussion around the portly star of Burton's badge. Saving it for the league games, I guess!

That’s a beer belly on the Burton badge surely?

• Ainsworth is disrespecting my disrespect for this competition by picking good players

• Our starting 11 shirt numbers add up to 320…surely a record?!

No one number under 18 starting.

• On a separate note - who’s the co-commentator with Phil? Knowledgable, contributes, calls the game pretty well from what I have heard from previous games.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Forino captain as well. Not bad for someone who's not even a real player.

Maybe that could give him some confidence back after he enthusiastically tuned in to the gasroom on Sunday to see what the fans made of his senior debut.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@drcongo said:
    I've completely blanked on who Leathers is.

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2021/september/adam-leathers-signs/

I was blank too.

Thanks!

• I’m liking the look of Leathers so far.

• Obita, Forino & Przybek started the last game so count as qualifying players. I think Hanlan (and maybe Mehmeti) does too as he's played over 40 first team matches in his career.

• Phil on comms said that we had enough international call ups to have called the Pompey game off, but that we decided to play it. Is that right? I thought we didn’t have enough called up who met the criteria to have that option.

• @Swiss_Exile said:
    Phil on comms said that we had enough international call ups to have called the Pompey game off, but that we decided to play it. Is that right? I thought we didn’t have enough called up who met the criteria to have that option.

Yeah, I don't think De Barr counts. And was Kaikai called up?

• @Chris said:
    Obita, Forino & Przybek started the last game so count as qualifying players. I think Hanlan (and maybe Mehmeti) does too as he's played over 40 first team matches in his career.

Przybek definately a no - only outfield players. Mehmeti nowhere near 40 starts at a high enough level. Can't see a fourth.

• @Theatre_of_Chairs said:
    Aaron Holloway playing for Burton.

Bryn Morris too. Always liked him as a player here.

• Hanlan and Obita off, Clark and Wakely on. 1-0 Burton.

• Brace for Aaron Holloway tonight! 1-1.

• @Platform_3 said:

@TheDancingYak said:
    What would happen if a club just didn’t abide by the selection rule?

Didn't Luton do that a few years ago and get a fine? I can't remember how big it was.

Didn’t some team start a goalkeeper in an outfield position and sub him in the first twenty minutes? Chairboy like s#*t#ou$€ry.

• according to. twitter its 1 nil to wanderers

• wanderers twitter feed is beyond confusing

• don't think they are watching the game .....embarrassing! they said initially 1 nil to. wycombe with Holloway OG not they gave deleted that and replaced it with Burton going.1 up with Holloway lol